Links

I'm not even sure if this is a board setting or not, but thought I would ask. Before the update links would open in a new window now they navigate away from the page. It makes it more difficult to read the article then come back and comment on it.

Is there anyway to have the links open in a new window again?

I'm not even sure if this is a board setting or not, but thought I would ask. Before the update links would open in a new window now they navigate away from the page. It makes it more difficult to read the article then come back and comment on it.

Is there anyway to have the links open in a new window again?

I don't see anything about this in our personal settings. A very quick fix would be to hold down the Control key when you click a tab. That should open it in a new window.

What browser are you using? I would recommend Firefox, or at least the latest update of IE, and use Tabs to browse if you're not already. They're very handy.

@ Zoogies - read that sentence with a comma between "update" and "links."

Oh, I see. :facepalm: Woops, my bad.

This was asked before by Landlord, so I'll go ahead and the original Q&A:

Can we get links to open up in new tabs/windows? Not sure if there is a setting, but since the upgrade most links I click open in the same window.

Are you talking about links that go to other parts of the Board, or links that go to outside content? If the latter, they should be opening up in a new window - the key is to right click those links and select the option to open in a new tab. If the former, that's the way we want it to work. If not, we'd have tons of connections to the database.

Is that helpful? I honestly have never noticed a difference in this aspect of the board, but I click open most things in a new tab. Or, if I open in the current tab, I click the BACKSPACE key on my keyboard as a quick way to return to the previous page (quicker than closing a new window actually - which is Ctrl+W on windows systems)...just me though.

I think you're referring to links to outside content that are in posts, right? (Example - Si.com) In this case, I'm not sure there's a quick way to differentiate between external or internal posted links. Maybe AR can chime in here. I'm not sure what the desired behavior should be in this case. I feel it makes sense to open in the same window by default, but I can also see why you would want external links to open up in separate windows.

Oh.

Curious, how does new windows work on your phone?

If this is something that just plain works better in general for phones, maybe you don't have to find a workaround. Not sure how this board works but it might have different backend rules for mobile devices. In that case, it could potentially be changed.

Well, that's odd. We had the setting so that posted links would open in a new window if javascript was available. I just checked - that feature was off. Not sure why or how. Anyway, I've reset it back to open in new windows. The only problem is that the setting will affect ONLY links posted since I've changed that setting. That means that any links posted prior to this post will still go with the old setting of opening in the same window.

The only drawback to this is that even links to other parts of the Board will now open in a new window. Oh, well...