Howdy All...Let's Talk Some Football

Aaron5

I guess I didn't see where my post went against board rules, while yours did not. ok................. I'll be sure to keep things politically correct in the future.

I hope residents of ARK, MO, TN, KS, OK and KY weren't offended by your post.

Allow me to elucidate. I posted what I did as an example to that such remarks are both unnecessary and insulting, as I stated.

Again, if you haven't read the board rules yet, do so.

Seriously, I have quite a few problems with our AD and the coaching staff. They've certainly shown they can recruit. Can they coach and can they lead? After last season they have quite a bit to prove. 5-6 is unacceptable.

I guess giving Frank another season to try and right the ship with his own coaching staff after an improvement in 2003 and toss away all tradition with the firing in November 2003 is just fine by you. 40 years of hard work by players & coaches tossed down the toilet, nice job of implementing a system to not fit your players

Keep being blinded by the sunshine coming from the South Stadium. The West Coast offense is the 2000 version of the Fun N Gun. Rememer what the hard nosed Nebraska team did to Florida. Oh, did I forget to mention that was a multiple option offense with a qb run game that scored quite a few points. Forget it we need the 3 step drop back, not a kid like Frazier, Frost or Crouch.

Keep being blinded by the sunshine coming from the South Stadium.  The West Coast offense is the 2000 version of the Fun N Gun.  Rememer what the hard nosed Nebraska team did to Florida.  Oh, did I forget to mention that was a multiple option offense with a qb run game that scored quite a few points.  Forget it we need the 3 step drop back, not a kid like Frazier, Frost or Crouch.

The West Coast and it's variants have been around since the 80's.

Yes, NU had success in the past, but past successes don't necessarily mean future success. Especially when you don't succeed in getting the top players for your style of ball.

Oh and all this "we threw all the tradition away" is hogwash if you ask me. Just because the road is rough now we can't say that we won all those NC and division titles? That the blood and sweat left on the field by former players means nothing now? I don't think so.

Seriously, I have quite a few problems with our AD and the coaching staff. They've certainly shown they can recruit. Can they coach and can they lead? After last season they have quite a bit to prove. 5-6 is unacceptable.

I fear that by season's end, the answer will clearly be "no." What has Callahan ever done to suggest the contrary? Getting to the Super Bowl and getting strafed like Dresden? Solich got blown out in a championship game, too--and I don't see anyone hailing him as a genius.

Callahan couldn't coach Brittany Spears to act like a trashy slut.

Seriously,  I have quite a few problems with our AD and the coaching staff.  They've certainly shown they can recruit.  Can they coach and can they lead?  After last season they have quite a bit to prove.  5-6 is unacceptable. 

I fear that by season's end, the answer will clearly be "no." What has Callahan ever done to suggest the contrary? Getting to the Super Bowl and getting strafed like Dresden? Solich got blown out in a championship game, too--and I don't see anyone hailing him as a genius.

Callahan couldn't coach Brittany Spears to act like a trashy slut.

We'll see. Are you prepared to eat your words otherwise?

What are you saying Callahan COULD coach Brittany to act like a trashy slut?

Seriously, I'll be standing with my fork at the ready. But I'll probably put it away when we lose to Wake Forest. They're gonna run the ball right at us, and they've seen enough real passing offenses in the ACC that none of them is going to get all scared at Billy C's pop-gun.

I mean, it's just great that Taylor can put up big numbers against our reserves, but these other teams that we play might just put some scholarship players out on the field...

Really? It was great to see Joe Dailey toss the ball 35-45 times when even a 5 year old knew his arm and accuracy weren't up to the task. I know where the West Coast Offense came from and I liken what Nebraska runs to a Fun N Gun all glitz no guts.

If there was some sort of power running game within this offense, I may have a change of heart, but from what was seen last year, not running plays to fit your team is ridiculous.

You call it hogwash, I call it tradition. 40 years without a losing record all for the glory of recruiting. You may be right, I don't know players or coaches personally, so I shouldn't speak if they are or aren't disappointed in 2004. I will speak for myself as an alum of UNL and a life long fan, pure and utterly embarassing.

Where were all these people to support Frank when he went under .500. That's right he didn't.

You call it hogwash, I call it tradition. 40 years without a losing record all for the glory of recruiting. You may be right, I don't know players or coaches personally, so I shouldn't speak if they are or aren't disappointed in 2004. I will speak for myself as an alum of UNL and a life long fan, pure and utterly embarassing.

See this is really what I don't get. The coaches on many occasions have said how dissapointing last year was. Even after the KSU game Callahan said he accepted total reponsibility for what happened on the field. But that doesn't get through for some reason or is not good enough. <_<

The coaches on many occasions have said how dissapointing last year was. Even after the KSU game Callahan said he accepted total reponsibility for what happened on the field. But that doesn't get through for some reason or is not good enough. <_<

Maybe when we see some evidence that he learns from his mistakes, instead of repeating them, it'll sound like more than the hollow bleating of a failed-bit NFL reject.

The coaches on many occasions have said how dissapointing last year was. Even after the KSU game Callahan said he accepted total reponsibility for what happened on the field. But that doesn't get through for some reason or is not good enough.  <_<

Maybe when we see some evidence that he learns from his mistakes, instead of repeating them, it'll sound like more than the hollow bleating of a failed-bit NFL reject.

That's the thing. The guy could come to your house and beg for your forgiveness (not that he would or even should), and you would still say "he's just blowing hot air".What is it? Is it because he isn't a home grown Nebraskan?

But I'll probably put it away when we lose to Wake Forest. They're gonna run the ball right at us, and they've seen enough real passing offenses in the ACC that none of them is going to get all scared at Billy C's pop-gun.

Hopefully they do run right at us. Our run D should be our strength this year. We may struggle more against Pitt because Palko is a pretty good QB.

I remember OU "running right at us" last year, and I believe we were the only team to hold AP to less than 100 yards. Am I right?

Also, dis Callahan all you want. He wanted a job he was "offered!" Are people mad at BC because he changed the offense? I don't know anybody that would be able to run the option as effectively as TO did. Frank sure as heck couldn't. Please, someone do the research and tell me what our offense was ranked during Frank's last 2 seasons here, when he had all the time to get "his players" recruited into the system.

You call it hogwash, I call it tradition.  40 years without a losing record all for the glory of recruiting.  You may be right, I don't know players or coaches personally, so I shouldn't speak if they are or aren't disappointed in 2004.  I will speak for myself as an alum of UNL and a life long fan, pure and utterly embarassing.

See this is really what I don't get. The coaches on many occasions have said how dissapointing last year was. Even after the KSU game Callahan said he accepted total reponsibility for what happened on the field. But that doesn't get through for some reason or is not good enough. <_<

You're right it isn't good enough. To get blasted by a team like KSU last season, when NU was glaringly better is pathetic. Look what their 2nd string qb did to the defense. I know players have to play, but have them ready to defend an offense that was run by your team for the better part of 20 years.

Are you neglecting the loss against SMiss or TTech? Those were about as bad as I can remember. Outyard the first by double and get 70 torched on you by the second. They were behind, but at what point do you get out of the 3-4 and stop throwing the ball for fear of a 6th turnover inside the 20?

That's what I mean. Iowa St is another example. They could've run the ball all day and I mean all day, instead Callahan called for about 40 passes. Colorado, instead of running the ball to setup a fg to end the half, they go back to pass and get a sack and then pass twice to no avail.

It's a bit of both, but the coaching last season was atrocious. I can only hope they learned over the off-season.

The guy could come to your house and beg for your forgiveness (not that he would or even should), and you would still say "he's just blowing hot air".What is it? Is it because he isn't a home grown Nebraskan?

He should. And if he did, and he could give me a credible explanation of why we throw on first and second and goal from the enemy's two, or why you throw against USM when you have a lead and they can't stop the run, or why you throw the ball 42 times with a 30 mph wind in Ames, Iowa, or why you generally call plays that suck, then maybe I would forgive him.

As for his origin, it really doesn't matter. Lousy coaches can come from anywhere.