Notes: Thenarse is happy with test

LINCOLN — Spring practice may never get more game-like than Saturday's scrimmage, which is good news for safety Rickey Thenarse.

He played during the entire session and said he didn't notice any physical limitations as he maneuvered about.

So it would appear that the fifth-year senior is on his way to a full recovery after an ACL tear sidelined him for most of the 2009 season.

“I went full speed every play, making big hits, big plays,” Thenarse said. “It's great.”

He could add some experience to a youthful group of Huskers battling for the top two safety spots. And Thenarse hopes to return as a full-time special teams contributor, too.

But after missing all that time, Thenarse still has to catch himself up, secondary coach Marvin Sanders said.

“He's close, but he's still got some work to do,” Sanders said. “Physically he's there, but mentally there's still some work to do.”

Gomes works hard at safety

DeJon Gomes made his mark last year as a sixth defensive back in the Huskers' dime package, but the senior is now among those auditioning at safety.

Sanders said he sees the perfectionist in Gomes coming out as he works at it.

“I've seen him up in the office quite often in the last week and a half, because he knows he's got a long way to go at safety,” Sanders said. “So he wants to learn as much as he possibly can.”

Gomes gave the Huskers some play-making ability last season, accounting for four interceptions and three forced fumbles to go with 46 tackles and five pass breakups.

“That's not coachable,” Sanders said. “He goes out and he plays football. That's what's good about him.”

Also in the secondary, sophomore safety P.J. Smith returned Monday after missing two practices for what Sanders called a family matter.

Pelini: No big revelations

Coach Bo Pelini said he didn't come away with any startling or surprising assessments after watching film of Nebraska's 150-play scrimmage Saturday.

The Huskers spent two hours in a game-simulated environment on the Memorial Stadium turf.

And what did Pelini learn?

“I thought we did some good things,” he said. “I thought some guys showed up not much different that my evaluation of a practice, which it should be at this point in the year. We have a long way to go on both sides of the ball.”

Battle develops at fullback

No position is safe this spring, which apparently includes the presumably stable fullback spot, Pelini said.

Junior Tyler Legate was the top lead blocker in jumbo formations last season. He never recorded a carry, but he caught three passes for 27 yards and a touchdown.

But Legate has some competition, Pelini said. Redshirt freshman C.J. Zimmerer and junior Mike Hays have had their own impressive moments at certain points in practice.

“It's just like every other spot,” Pelini said. “The competition's in full, high-speed mode.”

— Jon Nyatawa and Rich Kaipust

Link