Ganz Starting QB

Sirob X

How does everyone feel about moving Ganz to starting QB. Based on out talent I don't think we are ready yet for this WCO. If we put Ganz in there we could still run some option as he has some wheels on him and can throw pretty decent. We could maybe do a hybrid offence like WCO option or something. I think with Lucky in the back field and Ganz running things we could win 9 games. With Taylor we would be lucky to win 7 with all our WR hurt.

What does everyone think?

An intriguing idea, but personally, I don't see it happening for a number of reasons. First, I don't think this coaching staff has an option background. Second, given the timing that is needed to run the option sucessfully, it makes it difficult to only throw in a couple of option plays in an offensive series, and expect the reads and pitches to be sucessful. Third, I think this coaching staff wants to show potential recruits that the Huskers are committed to the WCO. Running the option could send a signal to recruits that the coaches don't want sent - that the Huskers aren't really committed to the WCO, and that they will return to the option. Right or wrong, I think that's sitting in the back of their mind, and is one reason they stuck with the pass so much last year.

Actually, based on the stats for last year, the offense was pretty balanced.

And I would venture to say that teams - particularly the elite - haven't been scared of NU for a few years now. It isn't the offense - it's the domination. But considering the teams that have dominated recently with balanced attacks or specifically the WCO, the key is to return to that point - regardless of the offense.

While I loved the option - particularly the precision it required - the fact is that it's gone and won't be back...at least for some time.

The option will not be run as long as Callahan and Co. are here. Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No. Don't get me wrong, I love me some steak and eggs, but you get the point.

As AR said, and ask Ross, our 1000 yard rusher, the ball was run quite a bit last year. Maybe Ross will get a break this year if we have a QB that can hit open recievers and other more mature backs that can carry some of the load.

Ross > *.

You are probably right.

Do you guys mind a few cuss words around here? Are there any ladies on this board. Because this old timer sure feels like letting a few fly after admitting that.

I still don't like the offense, but I do still love them Cornhuskers.

Yes, we have some female members. And yes, we permit a limited amount of cursing - but very limited. Please see the Board Rules for more details (check under my signature).

The option will not be run as long as Callahan and Co. are here. Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No.

Are you calling Coach Callahan a "one trick pony"?

Uh, no. Unless the Italian chefs you know only know how to make chicken parmesan. :wtf

Well jeez Dave, that's my point.

You said: " Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No." I submit that all Italian chefs are able to make steak and eggs, and all college football coaches should be able run WHATEVER offense gives their team the best chance of winning. Not exactly rocket science now is it?

Well jeez Dave, that's my point.

You said: " Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No." I submit that all Italian chefs are able to make steak and eggs, and all college football coaches should be able run WHATEVER offense gives their team the best chance of winning. Not exactly rocket science now is it?

No it's not. However, how many coaches would be willing to come into a school and be told what offense they are going to run? Most coaches coach like they know. Do you know of any coaches that could coach any conceivable scheme?

My point was the guy knows his system so that's what he is going to coach. Period.

I honestly think that this team has some decent depth at WR... Granted two of our better players are out, i still think that this team has some guys by the name of mulkey and nunn that are I'm sure more than ready to fill the spots that are now a little bit more wide open. Now is definatly a time where i miss ROSS PILKINGTON. What a tough SOB. oh well i guess he might have been one of those "cancer" players. Other than Pilkington and that panzy Birkle our WR of last year are all back. I still think that the WCO can still succeed without Fluellen and LeFlore...Anyone else think it would be SWEET if Bowman would take a few both ways?...that could be another answer to this problem

GBR... :bounce:bounce:bounce

"Well jeez Dave, that's my point.

You said: " Would you ask an Italian chef to make steak and eggs? No." I submit that all Italian chefs are able to make steak and eggs, and all college football coaches should be able run WHATEVER offense gives their team the best chance of winning. Not exactly rocket science now is it? "

:dis

Have you ever played football? running an offense to this magnitude is damned close to rocket science. and as easy as the option looked it was tough to get down. the timing and the precision of that pitch were insane and difficult to get down. gotta believe !!!

I hope Ganz only plays during mop up duty. Would I like to see the option ran every so often? Sure. But I don't expect it. Calling this offense a one trick pony is false. Just because we don't run on every play doesn't mean that we still don't run the ball. How many of the top teams run the Option at least once a game? Florida will this year, Boise State, Louisville. Utah last year. That's not very many out of the Top 25.

My point was the guy knows his system so that's what he is going to coach. Period.

So then you're back to calling Coach Callahan a "one trick pony" Not very nice IMO. I think our Coach has been around football long enough that he knows more than the WCO.

On the bigger issue, I'm gonna watch all the coaches that are coaching new teams this year and see if they stubbornly try to implement their entire systems or if they fit their playcalling to their players -- both their physical skills and their mental ability to learn it all at once. I hope you'll do the same and then in January we'll know who is right!!!