Mythbusters: Recruiting in the Big 12

if you think we can take about 25% of our classes from our instate and be good...your crazy, we need Texas badly. College football recruiting was a lot different back then than it is now and so are the teams.

If we stopped recruiting Texas tomorrow does that mean that we couldn't sign 25 players this year? Only 18-19 then? I assure you we'd fill the additional 6 spots that will probably go to Texas players without a problem. They'd come from FL, CA, MO, KS, OK, CO, WA, OH, IL, NE or some other state we've pulled kids out of recently. Texas is a great spot to recruit, and I won't argue with you that it's marginally important to us today...but it's not a vital lifeline that would cause the NU football program to implode if lost. We don't "need" Texas recruiting. If you think we do you're crazy, because there are 1,500+ kids outside of Texas that will be ranked 3* and above this year by Rivals. Finding 25 that want to play for Nebraska, not a problem.

I bet Texas could stop recruiting Texas players and still sign a top 25 team from CA, FL, AL, LA, GA. Texas recruits are convenient for all involved, but certainly not required to field a team on Saturday.

I can't believe we are still discussing if Texas recruiting is important. Why is this such a hot issue? Bo and Company have great ties to the state, so why should we stop? If you aren't suggesting we stop, why do you keep bringing this up?

Have you ever thought about money and time? We already concentrate a ton of time in Texas, Cali, and Florida. Yes, we could go on without these states but that means more travel for the coaches to places they don't have established relationships....which means more time to make the relationship better. Those states also have the highest concentration of high quality talent....why go there? Waste of time right?

Bill Callahan chose not to recruit Texas and that did wonders for our program. We don't "need" Texas to make 25 kids but why would we ever stop. This hypothetical discussion is so stupid.

Could be wrong but I think the discussion isn't about stopping recruiting in the state. The discussion is about the difficulties that will come up because we no longer will be having a yearly game in Texas (or against a Texas team). That's the reason that the OP refers to both pre Big 12 and post Big 12 formation. We won't stop recruiting there, it'll just be harder to land recruits. The argument then becomes if we step out of the Big 12 what are the potential recruiting ramifications.

You are right. There have just been a couple threads and a couple other threads taken over by this discussion over the last week or two. kc has just continuously said that Texas recruiting isn't important which is just silly. If we go to the Big10, recruiting doesn't change at all IMO (i've said this in multiple threads already). the strength of this staff is Texas...they will always recruit Texas until Tim Beck leaves or the Pelinis leave.

I completely agree, though I think if anything it even bolsters our recruiting in the future due to exposure. It's completely ridiculous to say that Texas isn't important in recruiting. Too much top talent in too small of an area for it not to be. I also think the argument of not going to Texas every year is a weak one. It's a huge state, getting a kid from SA and then playing the champ game in Dallas doesn't make it any easier for parents to get there.

IMO what it comes down to is top flight programs can get their players from anywhere, kids that want to play football and want to be part of the school, the tradition and the legacy they'll come no matter what. If a player values being close to family in warm weather that's their prerogative; we probably wouldn't want them on the team if their mind isn't going to be on football when it's below 40.

• 2 weeks later...

It's brand recognition. Nebraska gets a lot of advertising in Texas newspapers and televisions by being in the Big 12. Coverage in the local media is heavily weighted towards schools in the Big 12. It would shock a lot of people in this forum to find that Nebraska is not anywhere near the center of the college football universe in other regions of the country. All of the exposure Nebraska gets in Texas most assuredly helps recruiting there. It may not matter to every kid, but it certainly opens more doors. This article deals only with quantity though. Quality is far more important. Picking up commits from Florida is not a grand achievement. The state is overflowing with talent (as are Texas and California). The real question is whether you are stealing recruits from FSU and Florida or if you are competing for the leftovers with the likes of Rutgers.

Moving to the Big Ten would certainly change recruiting for Nebraska in some way. I do tend to think the impact is overstated though (but certainly more than some people on this board believe). A lot will depend on how regional games are televised. Will Nebraska games still be shown in Texas and how often? Regardless, if Nebraska becomes a national power again under Pelini, it will more than make up for any loss of local media coverage in Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

is nebraska joins the big 10,,,its got to have some effect on recruiting texas....the texas kids want to play texas schools, and that is the reason why nu is not a bad choice for them...the big 10 in really in a different part of the country,,,its allmost like playing in the eastern part of the united states....nebraska will have to change their recruiting grounds, unless they can start getting kids from around the country. i hate to see nebraska go to the big 10,,,was hoping they would stay with the texas group, and be invited to the pac 10....nebraska could recruit texas , and could possibly get more california kids......the bottom line with me...i hate to see the mega-conferances, what fun is it to have 3 or 4 big conferances.

I have a concern with recruiting. It may turn out to be unfounded, but I'll have to wait and see.

My fear is that we're now in a cold-locked conference. I would think that, to some degree, that will be taken into consideration with recruits. If this is the extent of the expansion, then not a big deal, but if the Pac10, MWC/Big12, SEC all decide to expand, weather could be sticking point since the Big10 (or whatever its gonna be called) will basically be the only cold weather conference. AZ, CA, TX, FL, GA, Al, in November or WI, MN, MI, PA, IL, etc. Hmmm? I know which I'd prefer.

yup. i can't imagine the game or two a year we play in the state of texas is that big of a factor in getting texas kids.

It's not. Your statement is a gross oversimplication. Recruiting "Texas" per se isn't the concern. It's our ability to continue to successfully recruit the south and west in general, where most of our out of state players come from right now, that is a question mark.

Of course, I hope it's all a real simple deal and life will go on as normal. But Coca-Cola has changed its recipe. We'll have to wait and see.

yup. i can't imagine the game or two a year we play in the state of texas is that big of a factor in getting texas kids.

It's not. Your statement is a gross oversimplication. Recruiting "Texas" per se isn't the concern. It's our ability to continue to successfully recruit the south and west in general, where most of our out of state players come from right now, that is a question mark.

Of course, I hope it's all a real simple deal and life will go on as normal. But Coca-Cola has changed its recipe. We'll have to wait and see.

why is it a bigger question mark now than it has been for decades? where our road games are played does not appear to be nearly as important to most southern kids as the actual location and climate of UNL. that hurdle will not change and we will continue to battle and overcome it.

why is it a bigger question mark now than it has been for decades? where our road games are played does not appear to be nearly as important to most southern kids as the actual location and climate of UNL. that hurdle will not change and we will continue to battle and overcome it.

I'm drink'n the same koolaid you are, dude. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have concerns.

It's a question mark because we will no longer be playing in warm weather climates. At all. None. The end. That, my friend, could cause some problems. See Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, etc., etc. for a few examples. Ohio State, MU, and PSU all thankfully have their own states sewn up, which allow each to be at least marginally competitive on the national stage. And there's a decent population in each of those states.

That metric doesn't work out too good for 'Sconsin and the rest as their states are thinly populated. And that could well be our situation, too. Then again, I might be pleasantly surprised. We'll know sooner than later.

I think our best outcome is "marginally competitive on the national stage." At this point, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

call me the tin foil hat guy, but I think the jury is going to be out for a long while before we know how our move to the Big 10 works out with recruiting.

Although we will start getting some indications between now and February. Will be interesting to see how our "first" Big 10 class (Feb 2011) stacks up against Bo's first classes in terms of rankings. Not that those silly rankings ever mean anything :cowbell:

I hope I've been totally wrong and that the Big 10 move actually enhances our recruiting.

It's brand recognition. Nebraska gets a lot of advertising in Texas newspapers and televisions by being in the Big 12. Coverage in the local media is heavily weighted towards schools in the Big 12. It would shock a lot of people in this forum to find that Nebraska is not anywhere near the center of the college football universe in other regions of the country. All of the exposure Nebraska gets in Texas most assuredly helps recruiting there. It may not matter to every kid, but it certainly opens more doors. This article deals only with quantity though. Quality is far more important. Picking up commits from Florida is not a grand achievement. The state is overflowing with talent (as are Texas and California). The real question is whether you are stealing recruits from FSU and Florida or if you are competing for the leftovers with the likes of Rutgers.

Moving to the Big Ten would certainly change recruiting for Nebraska in some way. I do tend to think the impact is overstated though (but certainly more than some people on this board believe). A lot will depend on how regional games are televised. Will Nebraska games still be shown in Texas and how often? Regardless, if Nebraska becomes a national power again under Pelini, it will more than make up for any loss of local media coverage in Texas.

I live in Dallas area. I find the Dallas Morning News ands local TV stations have treated the Big 12 North as a seperate conference. The only time they gave NU, or any other North team any time, or space was when they played a South team. That we will lose, but publicity for intra- North games was minimal at best and no better than Big Ten matchup coverage.

I live in Dallas area. I find the Dallas Morning News ands local TV stations have treated the Big 12 North as a seperate conference. The only time they gave NU, or any other North team any time, or space was when they played a South team. That we will lose, but publicity for intra- North games was minimal at best and no better than Big Ten matchup coverage.

nebraska,s step to stardome , joining the life of the rich in the big 10, will be effected more with texas recruiting than any of the 3 teams that bolted to other conferances so far.looking at the husker roster , they now have 26 texan,s, and 13 are from the dallas/ft worth area.

for moving to the big 10, texas players will not be close to their home towns and familes, instead of playing in places like austin, college station, lubbock and waco, it will be ohio, michigan, indiana, will become regular home games.

nebraska will have a tough sell to recruit some of these kids, not being able to play in their home states , etc. nebraska will still have some success, but if they shift there recruiting efforts to the midwest, which i think they wil, recruiting in california, arizona, and texas might not be as important as in the past

post-4721-127718836182.jpg

nebraska will have a tough sell to recruit some of these kids, not being able to play in their home states , etc. nebraska will still have some success, but if they shift there recruiting efforts to the midwest, which i think they wil, recruiting in california, arizona, and texas might not be as important as in the past

why on earth would we shift our recruiting efforts away from california and arizona, when we have been successfully recruiting those states despite not having any conference games there? in fact, i think california is a pretty darn good example of our ability to recruit nationally. why should texas be any different, when we have been successful recruiting there for decades, certainly longer than the big 12 has been around.

sure, we might lose a couple of kids here and there over this move, but i think that is more than balanced by an increased national presence via the big ten's network, TV deals and bowl games. we simply aren't pulling out of california or texas.