how good are Kinnie and Gilleylen?

1. Niles

2. Kinnie

3. McNeil

4. Gilleylen/bell (I don't remember seeing much of bell)

i went to all the home games and bell got on the field a lot...they just never, i mean never, threw him the ball...he looked to be open more than a few times too

if we are calling mcneil a wide reciever he is definetly the best reciever on our team...the same problem with him is we don't utilize his ability to create horrible mismatches...thought he was going to be an all-american last year after his amazing sophomore year :facepalm:

i wanted to see chris brooks on the field...every play...dude was a beast as a go-to third down reciever :hellloooo

I know my opinion on this may not be the popular one, but is anyone else still a little apprehensive about McNeill's ability to be a full time WR? I can't help but worry that if McNeill is our #2 option at WR then we may be in for another looooong year in the passing game.

All I heard from this board last year was that NU desperately needed a deep threat at WR, which I agree with 100%. But does a 240 lb ex TE really fill that role? Sure he could be great for NU's short to intermediate passing game, but how exactly would that differ from the role he played last year? If it's a move that is specifically designed to get a better blocking presence on the edge, than I fear our passing numbers will again be abysmal in 2010. Well that is barring a significant improvement at the QB position, but that's another discussion entirely.

IMO if NU has any chance of significantly improving the passing game, then Kinnie AND Gilleylen will both need to step their games up, because put simply I don't believe Niles Paul is talented enough, or more importantly, consistent enough to do it alone.

But does a 240 lb ex TE really fill that role? Sure he could be great for NU's short to intermediate passing game, but how exactly would that differ from the role he played last year? If it's a move that is specifically designed to get a better blocking presence on the edge, than I fear our passing numbers will again be abysmal in 2010.

I think you may be spot on here. Moving McNeill out in the slot and putting another TE on the end could be a signal that we're about to become a running team once again.