NU to Big 10 as early as Friday

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100608/NEWS01/100609687#nu-to-big-10-as-early-as-friday

LINCOLN — An executive at a Big 12 school relayed to The World-Herald on Tuesday that he expects Nebraska to become a member of the Big Ten as early as Friday.

NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman has declined all interviews about conference realignment and expansion. He is expected to address the topic with the Board of Regents at its Friday meeting in Lincoln.

Direct confirmation from Nebraska of a conference change for the Huskers wasn't immediately available. Sources at two other Big 12 schools told The World-Herald that their athletic directors have instructed them to be ready by week's end for a briefing on probable Big 12 changes.

Nebraska A.D. Tom Osborne offered implicit confirmation Tuesday night that the timetable on national conference realignment has been accelerated.

On his monthly appearance on the Husker Sports Network, Osborne said:

“I think before too long — I don't know exactly what that time frame is — we'll be able to put this to bed,'' then he jokingly added, “because I'm getting tired of it.''

The Big Ten first revealed on Dec. 15 that it was considering expansion, and that it would take 12 to 18 months to act.

Now, six months after that initial announcement, multiple sources have indicated that the Big Ten is prepared to add one to five schools (including Nebraska), and that the Pacific 10 is courting all six schools from the Big 12 South Division.

“There's a lot of information we really don't have right now,'' Osborne said. “Hopefully we'll get these put together in the next few days.

“Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 would be pure speculation. And I don't think that's very helpful.''

Another issue Osborne addressed is recent speculation that he has a personal grudge against Texas or that he is basing decisions on some hatred of the Longhorns.

“We certainly don't have anything against anybody in the Big 12,'' Osborne said. “This decision is not going to be based on animosity or petty jealousy. You're talking about something that could maintain for the next 75 to 100 years.

“This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It's a big deal for other institutions. You don't ever make a decision based on personal likes and dislikes.''

Osborne said he gets along “very well'' with Texas A.D. DeLoss Dodds, and is a “great admirer'' of UT football coach Mack Brown.

“This is not a case of reacting to any one school,'' Osborne said, “particularly Texas.''

Earlier Tuesday, The World-Herald requested an interview with Dodds. His spokesman, from Austin, Texas, said Dodds was unavailable because of a personal commitment.

“We certainly don't have anything against anybody in the Big 12,'' Osborne said. “This decision is not going to be based on animosity or petty jealousy. You're talking about something that could maintain for the next 75 to 100 years.

“This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It's a big deal for other institutions. You don't ever make a decision based on personal likes and dislikes.''

If that doesn't tell you that we're moving to the Big 10, nothing will. Anyone who's listened to Tom Osborne over the past 40 years knows how parsimonious he is with his statements. This ranks right up there with the biggest insinuations Osborne has ever given on anything.

He's not talking about staying in the Big XII for 75 to 100 years, because as dysfunctional as this conference is, it will not last that long, period. The Big 10 has already lasted 100 years and looks destined to last another.

I see only one way to read that statement, and it means we're going to the Big 10. Probably very soon.

If that doesn't tell you that we're moving to the Big 10, nothing will. Anyone who's listened to Tom Osborne over the past 40 years knows how parsimonious he is with his statements. This ranks right up there with the biggest insinuations Osborne has ever given on anything.

He's not talking about staying in the Big XII for 75 to 100 years, because as dysfunctional as this conference is, it will not last that long, period. The Big 10 has already lasted 100 years and looks destined to last another.

I see only one way to read that statement, and it means we're going to the Big 10. Probably very soon.

AMEN!!! I have already seen several comments about this on ESPN 2/ESPNU and Good Morning America just this morning, it's going to happen. So, if the PAC10 does (stupidly) take TexA$$ and the rest of the Big 12 south, do we start a countdown to their demise. I mean, TexA$$ track record isn't that good in these situations.

AMEN!!! I have already seen several comments about this on ESPN 2/ESPNU and Good Morning America just this morning, it's going to happen. So, if the PAC10 does (stupidly) take TexA$$ and the rest of the Big 12 south, do we start a countdown to their demise. I mean, TexA$$ track record isn't that good in these situations.

It's not official until Chip Brown says it is. :rollin