Nebraska Recruits react to move

By Bill Kurelic

ESPN Recruiting

Archive

It has been widely reported that the Big Ten is poised to add Nebraska as its 12th team, possibly as soon as today.

The Cornhuskers would certainly be a strong conference member when it comes to Big Ten football, and the move could help build the Nebraska roster. Nebraska is already considered a good recruiter nationally, but being a part of the Big Ten would likely help the Cornhuskers' recruiting efforts in talent-rich states such as Ohio, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

Defensive lineman Kevin Williams (Holland, Ohio/Springfield), who committed to the Cornhuskers in April, leaves no doubt he is excited about the possibility of Nebraska joining the Big Ten.

Davide De Pas

Nebraska commit Tyler Moore, a fourth-generation Husker, will miss playing in the Big 12, but likes the possible move to the Big Ten. "I think it would be great because my family could see me play easier," Williams said. "I think it's about a 45-minute drive when we would play at Michigan. And Ohio State is of course not too far."

Williams is not worried about playing against Big Ten competition as compared to the Big 12.

"It would be a little different than playing in the Big 12," Williams said. "It would be a little more of a challenge. But I would get to play in the conference I grew up watching. My decision came down to Nebraska and several Big Ten schools, so I'll get to play against those teams I watched growing up.

"I think it's a really good idea."

Another Cornhuskers commitment, quarterback Jamal Turner (Arlington, Texas/Sam Houston), also thinks the move would be a positive for the Nebraska football program.

"I'm kind of excited about it," Turner said. "It would be a new conference with new teams, so I'm excited. I've thought about playing Ohio State."

However, there is one small negative when it comes to someone like Turner who grew up in Big 12 country.

"I won't be playing in Texas, so my family won't be able to see me play as much," Turner said. "But they can fly down to Lincoln. And there is the Big Ten Network too.

"I just think it's a good move for Nebraska. Everyone's talking about it."

Offensive lineman Tyler Moore (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), another Nebraska commitment, has a lineage with Nebraska that goes back several generations: His father, uncle and grandfather all played for the Cornhuskers. Moore told ESPN.com's Corey Long there is one drawback to the Cornhuskers leaving the Big 12 and playing Oklahoma every year.

"I grew up watching the NU-OU games, and those games mean a lot to me and my family," Moore said. "But if we played Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State every year, those would be big games too. It's going to be exciting for the program, the players and the fans."

Wide receiver Devin Smith (Massillon, Ohio/Washington) has an offer from Nebraska and thinks the Cornhuskers would be an excellent addition to the Big Ten.

"I saw on TV they might join the conference," Smith said. "I was surprised. The Big Ten has a lot of good teams, and adding Nebraska would be another good team. I think they would be a good addition to the Big Ten."

Defensive end Ryan Shazier (Plantation, Fla./Plantation), another prospect the Cornhuskers have offered, has been thinking about making an official visit to Nebraska. Shazier gave the Cornhuskers' potential move to the Big Ten a thumbs-up.

"I think it would be good," Shazier said. "They'll play some competition that will be different. I think this conference expansion stuff is a great idea. We'll see how it works out."

It will be interesting to see how our recruiting strategy adapts to the new landscapes long term. We're probably set to take a small hit in Texas, but as everyone keeps saying, relationships are more important than geography. To play at Nebraska most of our recruits have to come a long way from home, and we have to recruit nationally. Not surprising you'd get a mixed bag for a reaction, but for the University this move is meat and potatoes with extra gravy. Hopefully they take that into account.

It will be interesting to see how our recruiting strategy adapts to the new landscapes long term. We're probably set to take a small hit in Texas, but as everyone keeps saying, relationships are more important than geography. To play at Nebraska most of our recruits have to come a long way from home, and we have to recruit nationally. Not surprising you'd get a mixed bag for a reaction, but for the University this move is meat and potatoes with extra gravy. Hopefully they take that into account.

I don't see it changing the strategy too much, after all we have been recruiting to the school not to the confrence.