Big Ten Divisions?

And Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern -- hell, even Minnie -- for the better part of the past decade is far better than anything the B12 North had to offer (including, with apologies, Nebraska).

ummm no. i cant agree with that at all. Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas have all been equal to or greater than those schools listed and i would argue that all of the big12 north schools have been better than minnesota over the last decade and that includes ISU whom actually beat Minnesota this last bowl season.

There is talk that there will possibly be no move for a conference championship game. This could mean that they go back to the "Pod" concept and use a rotational basis so that you play everyone 4 years out of 6 and play 8 conference games with 2 games guaranteed.

Years 1 and 2

Years 3 and 4

Years 5 and 6

We don't have to worry so much about home games to cover expenses. We'll have all games televised and will see an upswing in Big Ten Network revenue as more households pick up the network and we increase our inventory.

There is talk that there will possibly be no move for a conference championship game. This could mean that they go back to the "Pod" concept and use a rotational basis so that you play everyone 4 years out of 6 and play 8 conference games with 2 games guaranteed.

Years 1 and 2

Years 3 and 4

Years 5 and 6

We don't have to worry so much about home games to cover expenses. We'll have all games televised and will see an upswing in Big Ten Network revenue as more households pick up the network and we increase our inventory.

i could be wrong but i believe one of the main reasons Delaney stated that he wanted expansion was to creat a conference championship game. ive also seen the setup that you are showing but most people in the big10 that i have seen talk about it consider that to be wishful thinking from some current big10 fans. there will be a championship game, its about money not limiting money.

First off, welcome to the B10 from an Ohio State fan. Can't wait to get this rolling in 2011

Regarding the perceived strength of Divisions comparing the past decade of the 5 B12 North Nebraska played with and what would be the 5 B10 West schools joining Nebraska. I went back and looked at final AP Top 25 Rankings from 2000-2009 to find the following. I excluded Nebraska from the equation since the conversation was based on the strength of the teams Nebraska was paired with and the Teams they will/might be paired with going forward.

I'll start with the totals:

Since 2000, the B12 North(excluding Nebraska) has had 9 other teams ranked in the AP Top 25 at the end of the season. Included in this number are 5 top 10 rankings(KSU #9 in 2000, Colorado #9 in 2001, KSU # 7 in 2002, Mizzou #4, Kansas #7 in 2007)

Since 2000, the teams most widely believed to be joining Nebraska in a B10 West(Iowa, Wisc, Ill, Minn, NW) have had 14 teams ranked in the AP Top 25 at the end of the season. Included in this number are 5 top 10 rankings(Iowa #8 in 2002, 2003, 2004, Wisc # 7 in 2006, Iowa #7 in 2009.

Additionally if you move away from the start of the decade and go from just 2003 on, the numbers skewer even more in favor of the potential B10 West, with 11 Top 25 finishes to just 4 by the B12 North teams Nebraska played year in and year out.

Here is the raw data

2000: KSU #9, ISU #25 Wisc. #23

2001: Col #9 Ill #12

2002: KSU #7, Col #20 Iowa #8

2003: KSU #14 Iowa #8, Minn #20

2004: - Iowa #8, Wisc #17

2005: - Wisc #15

2006: - Wisc. #7

2007: Mizzou #4 Kansas #7 Ill #20, Wisc #24

2008: Mizzou #19 Iowa #20

2009: - Iowa #7, Wisc #16

And Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern -- hell, even Minnie -- for the better part of the past decade is far better than anything the B12 North had to offer (including, with apologies, Nebraska).

ummm no. i cant agree with that at all. Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas have all been equal to or greater than those schools listed and i would argue that all of the big12 north schools have been better than minnesota over the last decade and that includes ISU whom actually beat Minnesota this last bowl season.

Nebraska fans are in for a shock. The Big Ten "West" is far more competitive than they think. To believe that Kansas (we're talking about football here...), Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Colorado are superior football squads than Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Illinois is a really big oversight. Just look at the numbers.

Nebraska fans are in for a shock. The Big Ten "West" is far more competitive than they think. To believe that Kansas (we're talking about football here...), Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Colorado are superior football squads than Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Illinois is a really big oversight. Just look at the numbers.

I would think any perceived lack of competiviteness would cheese off Iowa and Wisky fans that I'm sure would believe that NU, UW, and IU should be looked at as equal to PSU, OSU, and UM.

First off, welcome to the B10 from an Ohio State fan. Can't wait to get this rolling in 2011

Regarding the perceived strength of Divisions comparing the past decade of the 5 B12 North Nebraska played with and what would be the 5 B10 West schools joining Nebraska. I went back and looked at final AP Top 25 Rankings from 2000-2009 to find the following. I excluded Nebraska from the equation since the conversation was based on the strength of the teams Nebraska was paired with and the Teams they will/might be paired with going forward.

Since 2000, the B12 North(excluding Nebraska) has had 9 other teams ranked in the AP Top 25 at the end of the season. Included in this number are 5 top 10 rankings(KSU #9 in 2000, Colorado #9 in 2001, KSU # 7 in 2002, Mizzou #4, Kansas #7 in 2007)

Since 2000, the teams most widely believed to be joining Nebraska in a B10 West(Iowa, Wisc, Ill, Minn, NW) have had 14 teams ranked in the AP Top 25 at the end of the season. Included in this number are 5 top 10 rankings(Iowa #8 in 2002, 2003, 2004, Wisc # 7 in 2006, Iowa #7 in 2009.

Additionally if you move away from the start of the decade and go from just 2003 on, the numbers skewer even more in favor of the potential B10 West, with 11 Top 25 finishes to just 4 by the B12 North teams Nebraska played year in and year out.

Here is the raw data

still cant agree with it sorry. i dont need numbers to tell me what i already know, i live int big10 country and ive seen my fair share of big10 games over the years as well as big12 games obviously and i would say that top to bottom the big12 has been more competitive. i would also argue that bowl games are a better indicator however i am relatively certain that would also tilt big 10.

good discussion and we shall see in 2011 who is correct!!!

Here is the raw data

yup. There will be some shocked huskers when B10 play gets underway.

The B10 is MUCH tougher than they think. ;)

First of all, welcome to the Big Ten! I'm a Badger fan and excited to see Nebraska come "home" where they belong. I can't wait to travel to Nebraska to see Wisconsin-Nebraska soon.

Potential divisions is an interesting topic and one I've mulled a lot over the last few days. First of all, can we just scrap the Bo-Woody BS? Seems like a Barry division is a little more appropriate on this side of the conference. But I digress...

The Big 10 is obviously going to move to divisions in 2011. From a geographic/demographic/travel standpoint, there's no way the B10 is splitting up Minnie, Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska. We're talking about the land of milk & honey here. And while we're at it, can we just scrap some history here? Michigan is not good and won't be for awhile after what Dick Rod has done to that program. And Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern -- hell, even Minnie -- for the better part of the past decade is far better than anything the B12 North had to offer (including, with apologies, Nebraska).

On the other hand, a pure geographic split with the 3 existing "marquee" teams is not ideal (see the former B12). I personally think swapping the 2 Michigan schools for the 2 Illinois schools makes sense. As for storied histories, you've got Michy and Nebraska in the West and tOSU and PSU in the East. That makes the West a little tougher with Wisconsin, Iowa, and MSU in the West and only Minnie as a "doormat". The East would have Northwestern and Purdue as mid tier opponents and Illinois/Indiana as the bottom feeders. They can keep tOSU and Michigan as annual rivals in opposite divisions and hope that Michigan actually becomes good again for an occasional B10 championship game.

Personally though, I see Wisconsin and Nebraska competing year in and year out for the West title. Should be a hell of a lot of fun.

I am a Wisconsin native born in Milwaukee. I cannot wait for Nebraska and Wisconsin to play!

I think the East/West split is pretty close. I think a more nuanced approach would be to take those divisions, and have Penn State and Northwestern switch sides. Penn State would then be the only geographical outlier between the two divisions (Northwestern's location allows them to fit in wherever you want to put them), and you'd have a little bit better balance. Penn State is also the easiest to justify as a geographic outlier, since they are also relatively new to the conference and their rivalries aren't tied as deeply as some of the others that need protected.

As a NU grad living in Big 10 territory, its my observation that the Big 10 teams are a lot more balanced that the Big 12 ever thought of being. Since 1990, eight different teams from the Big 10 have gone to the Rose Bowl. Michigan (7), Wisc (3), OSU (2), Penn St (2) and one each: Iowa, NW, Purdue and Ill.

Only 3 teams have not made it: Minn, Mich St and Indiana.

The point - don't worry so much about an imbalance in the Big 10. Its nothing like the B12 north - south imbalance.