Will PAC-10 allow Texas to start its own network?

adc7236

It will be interesting to see if the PAC-10 allows Texas to start its own network if they jump ship. I would assume if Texas is serious about joining the PAC-10, it has to be part of the discussions. If they are not allowed and Texas goes anyway, I think it sends a message that Texas never was serious about trying to keep the Big XII together. If they would have made this concession and conceded their media market to the Big XII, as an act good faith towards a long term league commitment, we would not have left for the Big 10.

There is the other possibility that they played chicken with Tom and Harvey and lost. Now they are in oh sh*t mode and may have to lose their own network anyway, as they try to secure their future in the PAC-10.

If the Pac 10 is smart they will tell Texas that they cannot have a Texas Network, but then again it is the Pac 10 and they do have coaches that are pretty hot headed with Lane Kiffin, Chip Kelly, Rickky Neuweasel who will want a share of that pie.

No. Larry Scott has already made it clear in a recent article that any new teams added to the Pac-10 will have to sign their media rights over to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if UT won't try and get their way during negotiations though. However I think Scott sent a loud message to Baylor when he accepted CU into the Pac-10 by letting the Texas legislature know that he will not be bullied.

However, the flipside to this scenario is that the SEC commish already told Sports Illustrated last week that if Texas wanted to have their own TV network and play in the SEC, they could do it without any problems because Florida has a similar set-up. Yet UT wants nothing to do with the SEC.

I'd say they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Otherwise they'd be better off just staying in the Big 12 where they could surely get away with it.

Would like a minority vote be able to shoot down a pac10 network? How did texas vote it down in the b12? Do they want to bring the b12 south with so they can have enough of a minority vote to shoot down things like a network and stuff in the pac10?

If the pac 10 has rights to texas media, y don't they just join the b10 who already has a network?

The whole TV network BS I blame more on Beebe and Big XII's lack of leadership than Texas. though some may blame that lack of leadership on Texas, but that would be a whole other thread- so lets not go there here.

Anyway, if Texas alone is capable of getting a decent tv deal for one team then how was the conference unable get a decent deal for TWELVE teams?

Now, maybe I may be getting the chicken and the egg in the wrong order here? I'm assuming bad conference TV contracts (since the leagues genesis) led to Texas recently pursuing Bevo TV. As opposed to Bevo TV hurting League TV.

IMO this also touches the revenue sharing BS. Both Nebraska and Texas were against revenue sharing. but when you aren't making a ton of money, you aren't going to share it. On the other hand, what if the Big XII had a ma$$ive TV deal? IMO our Huskers and UT would have been more willing to share the loot.

• Fire 1

The whole TV network BS I blame more on Beebe and Big XII's lack of leadership than Texas. though some may blame that lack of leadership on Texas, but that would be a whole other thread- so lets not go there here.

Anyway, if Texas alone is capable of getting a decent tv deal for one team then how was the conference unable get a decent deal for TWELVE teams?

Now, maybe I may be getting the chicken and the egg in the wrong order here? I'm assuming bad conference TV contracts (since the leagues genesis) led to Texas recently pursuing Bevo TV. As opposed to Bevo TV hurting League TV.

IMO this also touches the revenue sharing BS. Both Nebraska and Texas were against revenue sharing. but when you aren't making a ton of money, you aren't going to share it. On the other hand, what if the Big XII had a ma$$ive TV deal? IMO our Huskers and UT would have been more willing to share the loot.

You first sentence is EXACTLY what I have been thinking. A good commish would look out for the conference and get the best darned TV contract available worked out. I don't blame UT for wanting to create their own TV revenue stream, and I don't even blame them for not wanting to share (NU would have done the same, IMO). You look at the Big 10 network, look at the billions of ESPN/CBS dollars the SEC was getting, as well as the Irish on NBC. And then look at the Big 12 and the Pac 10 tv deals ... what a load of crap. Only, it's a bigger deal in the Big 12 than Pac-10 for what I hope are obvious reasons.

One more thing to say, "Beebe, you're FIRED!" -- Donald Trump style.