Soccer vr Drying Paint

I have to say though, the thing I hate most about soccer is the diving. Really stupid. I feel bad for that Nigerian guy who guy a red card because the stupid Greek player decided to be a pansy and fell to the ground writhing in agony when he wasn't even touched.

They call that gamesmanship.

I call it get up you big wuss, people are watching you. :facepalm:

I call it get up you big wuss, people are watching you. :facepalm:

no, no we don't. we call it a dive. Guys who can't play (or are tired) do it.

There are guys in other sports who do it too.

Although, I guess you can argue it's part of the strategy. The "foul" (if called) gets you the ball and hopefully in good field position. Because a lot of times, the free kick can get the ball in the box where someone gets it in. Makes the dive worth it.

Basketball does sort of the same thing. That whole last half hour of the game where they foul on purpose to stop the clock and get the ball back (even if the other team gets a point or two extra)

I couldn't disagree with you more. I played soccer for many years, and it takes very little skill to play...kicking or headding a ball takes little.

then obviously you had no skill. I'd love to see you against Ronaldinho or Cristiano Ronaldo...or myself.

Everyone who says it takes no skill...once they step on the pitch, can't seem to kick the ball straight let alone get it past a keeper.

I think a lot of people just aren't used to looking for the strategy involved. It's like football...a lot of people just follow the ball. But they miss a lot of behind the scenes action of the guys doing their runs or setting up in position.

• Fire 1
then obviously you had no skill. I'd love to see you against Ronaldinho or Cristiano Ronaldo...or myself.

Everyone who says it takes no skill...once they step on the pitch, can't seem to kick the ball straight let alone get it past a keeper.

First, I played many, many seasons of both indoor and outdoor succer, butI haven't played for over 20 years. Once I found out that I could hit a fastball, a jumpshot, and I could possibly pin an opponent, I decided that I would compete in sports instead. If you think that I cannot compete at the same level of the best in the world or even some average guy who regularly plays the game, you are correct, just like any real sport. :thumbs And honestly, I don't care.

I think a lot of people just aren't used to looking for the strategy involved. It's like football...a lot of people just follow the ball. But they miss a lot of behind the scenes action of the guys doing their runs or setting up in position.

It's really not at all like football. If you want to compare the "behind the scenes" action to that of basketball or hockey (even though it's less complex than those sports), then I would agree. It's not rocket science.

First, I played many, many seasons of both indoor and outdoor succer, butI haven't played for over 20 years. Once I found out that I could hit a fastball, a jumpshot, and I could possibly pin an opponent, I decided that I would compete in sports instead. If you think that I cannot compete at the same level of the best in the world or even some average guy who regularly plays the game, you are correct, just like any real sport. :thumbs And honestly, I don't care.

It's really not at all like football. If you want to compare the "behind the scenes" action to that of basketball or hockey (even though it's less complex than those sports), then I would agree. It's not rocket science.

calling soccer not a real sport...I didn't realize we had so many losers like yourself on this board.

I call it get up you big wuss, people are watching you. facepalm.gif

no, no we don't. we call it a dive. Guys who can't play (or are tired) do it.

There are guys in other sports who do it too.

Although, I guess you can argue it's part of the strategy. The "foul" (if called) gets you the ball and hopefully in good field position. Because a lot of times, the free kick can get the ball in the box where someone gets it in. Makes the dive worth it.

Basketball does sort of the same thing. That whole last half hour of the game where they foul on purpose to stop the clock and get the ball back (even if the other team gets a point or two extra)

I couldn't disagree with you more. I played soccer for many years, and it takes very little skill to play...kicking or headding a ball takes little.

First, the vuvuzela horns are headache inducing. But I've found that I can mask much of the sound using the EQ on my TV. It helps.

Can one of you guys who knows and loves both soccer & football - please compare the strategy levels.

To me, it looks like chess (football) vs. checkers (soccer). Soccer fans please don't take offense.

I am not saying that soccer is mentally as simple as checkers - just the comparison.

To start with - chess pieces are specialized - 6 different types of move.

In checkers they all move in the same manner. It isn't "no" skill - but the same skill.

Is that a fair?

I have been watching the WC and I still don't "get" it but it doesn't bore me. I am making progress.

My biggest hurdle is the diving. And don't tell me other sports do it. That is a cop out.

The right dive can get a man sent off or score not just the winning goal - but the only goal of a game.

In basketball a dive nets you 1 personal foul and maybe 2 points of 100. Even if a guy fouls out he can be replaced.

Even still - I am trying out idea that the diving is akin to a poker bluff.

The off-sides can be viewed a bluff/gamble.

In my twisted world, soccer is a combination of checkers and Texas Hold 'em played at high speed on a massive field.

Fair or unfair it helps me to appreciate the game.

Still hate the diving. Not sure I can get past it.

Guys, lets try to keep things civil around here. Obviously there are folks who really like soccer, and some who really hate soccer. Attack the post and not the poster. Consider this a general warning. Now, :backtotopic

:yeah

Gentlemen, just remember, we are talking about a game here. Its a game that's popularity in this country, is based on hundreds of thousands of Moms who are afraid of little Johnny getting hurt playing football or want to have something for their daughters to do.

T_O_B

:bonez