The first 10 New Big 10 titles

iowa will get three out of ten??? Stirrin the pot clone? They had their best team in decades last year and couldnt pull off the conference title.

wrongo- using B10 championships as a ruler, their best teams this decade DID pull off a conference championsip, two in fact- in 2002 and 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference_football_champions

The hawks finished in the top ten three years in a row with three different senior qbs. 2002,2003,2004 I think THAT was their best team.

Year Ranking Record

2002 8 11–2

2003 8 10–3

2004 8 10–2

wisconsin over Iowa?

What's your guess?

FWIW, Wisconsin went to Rose Bowls in '99 and '00. Iowa hasn't been since '86.

actually, Iowa went and LOST in 1990.

and fwiw- wisconsin hasn't won a B10 title since 1999.

Comparing the two conferences we had Texas and Oklahoma that have been powers for the last ten years or so. A few blips on the horizon but nothing steady.

Big Ten has Ohio State/Texas Penn State/Oklahoma Iowa/? Michigan/Missouri? Wisconsin/Kansas 1 year.

I think our schedule in the Big ten will be tougher week to week, if we schedule descent out of conference foes. Which I feel Bo and Coach Osborne will.

I think the move to the Big Ten is a tougher conference to get through undefeated than the Big 12. And we have not been able to do that in many years. So it seems to me it will be tougher. I do agree we are moving in the right direction, but I am very concerned about our recruiting ties to Texas.

I feel this was the right move, but I do not have the confidence some have of us being dominant instantly.

Two would be the most I think possible.

Personally I think Texas and Oklahoma have more dominant programs than anyone in the Big 10. Ohio St. is close, but UT and OU have equal coaching staffs with slightly better talent lines. After that, as I mentioned before, I think we match up really well with Iowa and Wisconsin, and they do not scare me as much as Texas Tech or even Missouri. Penn St., I'm not so sure... but how many years will JoePa be around once we get there? One or two? It's hard not to imagine a drop-off after he leaves.

Iowa and Wisconsin both have really solid programs, but compared to the explosive offenses and 4-5-star recruits we've had to deal with in the past two seasons, it's tough to be too worried about them. Iowa has an average to below average offensive coordinator who Bo and Carl's defense should eat alive. They have a great defensive coordinator, but I don't see him being around for more than 2-3 more seasons.

I don't necessarily disagree about the Texas recruiting... but it remains to be seen.

wisconsin over Iowa?

What's your guess?

My bad on the Iowa Rose Bowl. As for Wisconsin, the 2000 Rose Bowl was after the '99 season.

Anyhow, my point remains: thinking Wisconsin will have more success than Iowa in the coming years isn't ludicrous.

wisconsin over Iowa?

What's your guess?

My bad on the Iowa Rose Bowl. As for Wisconsin, the 2000 Rose Bowl was after the '99 season.

Anyhow, my point remains: thinking Wisconsin will have more success than Iowa in the coming years isn't ludicrous.

ludicrous?

no.

likely?

no.

since iowa won two b12 championships (although shared) and wisky won zero--

predicting iowa to win three in the next decade is barely over iowa's last decade performance.

but opinions vary.

we'll definitely disagree on this one. :cheers

wisconsin over Iowa?

What's your guess?

ludicrous?

no.

likely?

no.

since iowa won two b12 championships (although shared) and wisky won zero--

predicting iowa to win three in the next decade is barely over iowa's last decade performance.

but opinions vary.

we'll definitely disagree on this one. :cheers

Neither of us thinks it ludicrous, so I guess we're in agreement :lol:

Unfortunately for Iowa, the addition of a CCG means no more shared titles. I have a hard time seeing them get by Nebraska for the division, and then beating OSU for all the marbles. Of course I'm a little biased (both ways).

PS - Winning %, 2000-2009: Iowa 64, Wisconsin 66.7

Comparing the two conferences we had Texas and Oklahoma that have been powers for the last ten years or so. A few blips on the horizon but nothing steady.

Big Ten has Ohio State/Texas Penn State/Oklahoma Iowa/? Michigan/Missouri? Wisconsin/Kansas 1 year.

I think our schedule in the Big ten will be tougher week to week, if we schedule descent out of conference foes. Which I feel Bo and Coach Osborne will.

I think the move to the Big Ten is a tougher conference to get through undefeated than the Big 12. And we have not been able to do that in many years. So it seems to me it will be tougher. I do agree we are moving in the right direction, but I am very concerned about our recruiting ties to Texas.

I feel this was the right move, but I do not have the confidence some have of us being dominant instantly.

Personally I think Texas and Oklahoma have more dominant programs than anyone in the Big 10. Ohio St. is close, but UT and OU have equal coaching staffs with slightly better talent lines. After that, as I mentioned before, I think we match up really well with Iowa and Wisconsin, and they do not scare me as much as Texas Tech or even Missouri. Penn St., I'm not so sure... but how many years will JoePa be around once we get there? One or two? It's hard not to imagine a drop-off after he leaves.

Iowa and Wisconsin both have really solid programs, but compared to the explosive offenses and 4-5-star recruits we've had to deal with in the past two seasons, it's tough to be too worried about them. Iowa has an average to below average offensive coordinator who Bo and Carl's defense should eat alive. They have a great defensive coordinator, but I don't see him being around for more than 2-3 more seasons.

I don't necessarily disagree about the Texas recruiting... but it remains to be seen.

I have to disagree with the first statement, maybe some homerism lurking, I'd say Texas and tOSU have probably been on an even keel this decade and I can appreciate you saying Oklahoma is a dominant team (which they are), but PSU is no where near a slouch and Michigan will be right back with the top of the elite sooner than later.

I know it is futile to argue such things but none-the-less the top half of the Big 12. in my humble opinion, is no stronger than the top half of the Big Ten and I think stats would back that up. Regardless, we are psyched you are in the club, now let's play some football and answer these questions.

I have to disagree with the first statement, maybe some homerism lurking, I'd say Texas and tOSU have probably been on an even keel this decade and I can appreciate you saying Oklahoma is a dominant team (which they are), but PSU is no where near a slouch and Michigan will be right back with the top of the elite sooner than later.

I know it is futile to argue such things but none-the-less the top half of the Big 12. in my humble opinion, is no stronger than the top half of the Big Ten and I think stats would back that up. Regardless, we are psyched you are in the club, now let's play some football and answer these questions.

I think the big 10 has more talent levels then the big 12...the big 12 is just a wash...so many teams all had similar teams that it gets hard to distinct 4 from 7...the big 10 seems to keep teams in twos and threes...top 2, small drop off to another 2, drop off etc....the big 10 is like an onion...it has layers...the big 12 you just had to have that extra little bit and a good punch in the conference title game...

Past decade:

Texas, 85.3%

Oklahoma, 82.1%

Ohio State, 80.3%

And according to Sagarin, Oklahoma had the toughest schedule of the three, which makes their 82% even more impressive.

Hard to actually know until we see a schedule.

If we end up in the west with Wisky, Iowa, Minnesota and us. Who do we draw for other cross conference games. I can not imagine that it would not include, Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State as at least one of those games. One will be an annual game is my guess. Most likely Penn State.

Facing that group every year would be a much tougher road than what we currently have. We either play Oklahoma or Texas, very seldom both. I think the Big Ten is a tougher/more physical conference. My guess a Michigan State is going to beat you up physically more so than the Texas Techs, I am Tech fan, but I see the difference in the make up of the teams. Big Ten is run it down your throat, kick you in the face type league, we became more spread it out and out talent you at the skill positions. Depth in the Big Ten will be more important than in the Big 12 is my guess. Bodies to fill injured holes.

We may have a better idea after this year of where we are, but right now, I do not see us dominating the Big Ten. Sorry.

I do feel we will be competitive, but winning four is just too many with our recent history. We still have had hickups the last two years. One goof up along the way will most likely take you out of the Big Ten race.

If we end up in the west with Wisky, Iowa, Minnesota and us. Who do we draw for other cross conference games. I can not imagine that it would not include, Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State as at least one of those games. One will be an annual game is my guess. Most likely Penn State.

Facing that group every year would be a much tougher road than what we currently have. We either play Oklahoma or Texas, very seldom both. I think the Big Ten is a tougher/more physical conference. My guess a Michigan State is going to beat you up physically more so than the Texas Techs, I am Tech fan, but I see the difference in the make up of the teams. Big Ten is run it down your throat, kick you in the face type league, we became more spread it out and out talent you at the skill positions. Depth in the Big Ten will be more important than in the Big 12 is my guess. Bodies to fill injured holes.

We may have a better idea after this year of where we are, but right now, I do not see us dominating the Big Ten. Sorry.

i don't believe we will dominate either, but i believe we are on the upswing to becoming a big boy and throw our weight around...i don't think it is homerism to believe we can get three

My guess a Michigan State is going to beat you up physically more so than the Texas Techs, I am Tech fan, but I see the difference in the make up of the teams. Big Ten is run it down your throat, kick you in the face type league, we became more spread it out and out talent you at the skill positions. Depth in the Big Ten will be more important than in the Big 12 is my guess. Bodies to fill injured holes.

While your main point about the physicality of TT vs. MSU is certainly true, recent history has made it clear that Tech's style is the bigger challenge for a team like Nebraska. Bo's defense smothered a pretty solid Spartan team back in 2003, and even with a crappy Cotton offense (83rd in total offense), we had no trouble with them (Final: 17-3). On the other hand, Bo's best team yet got pretty thoroughly dominated by Tech (31-10 this past season). Both '03 MSU and '09 TT had 8-4 regular seasons and Alamo Bowl appearances.

Nebraska's lack of firepower and identity on offense, along with the focus on TOP and dominant defense, makes us naturally a better match-up with traditional Big 10 styles (Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, and Ohio St. to a degree) than shootout teams like Texas Tech and even Missouri.

Past decade:

Texas, 85.3%

Oklahoma, 82.1%

Ohio State, 80.3%

And according to Sagarin, Oklahoma had the toughest schedule of the three, which makes their 82% even more impressive.

Well then you also have to factor in the BCS records then. Big Ten 10-11 compared to the Big 12 at 7-10 and Oklahoma hasn't been as nearly as dominant as that winning percentage proclaims. They were getting most of their wins against conference foes and losing BCS bowl games at a substantial rate with a 2-5 record(5 straight). As i said before Texas has done well the past decade so there's not much to take away from them but i'll take Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan when they're back any day over teams such as Texas Tech, Missouri, and Kansas who are the middle tier teams. Tech's supposed best year they got housed by an overrated Ole Miss team who proved they were overhyped the next year

I do feel we will be competitive, but winning four is just too many with our recent history. We still have had hickups the last two years. One goof up along the way will most likely take you out of the Big Ten race.

You're always making good points on this board skersfan. I agree with all your' points