The first 10 New Big 10 titles

iowa will get three out of ten??? Stirrin the pot clone? They had their best team in decades last year and couldnt pull off the conference title.

$%^&*&^%^&* Northwestern taking out the Manzi.

ummmmmm....yeah.....iowa was definitely lucky last year...

if iowa was "lucky" --- they wouldn't have lost stanzi. ;)

If Tressel stays:

OSU 5

Neb 3

U-M 1

PSU 1

If Tressel retires in 5 years or so:

OSU 3 (3 w/ tress, 1 without)

Neb 3

U-M 2

PSU 1

WIS 1

wisconsin over Iowa?

You seem surprised by this. Iowa is good once or twice every five years. Wisconsin is mediocre once every five years, and still dangerous during those down years.

I miss being good and arrogant :'(

This is 'the year', and by that I mean if he doesn't produce this year, consider him gone. But saying his offence doesn't work is very incorrect, we were third in the Big10 in scoring, fourth in rushing, passing was weak, but we used freshmen. Three of our games were very close loses, one in OT to sparty. I think the offence will be much improved with returning QB's/wideouts/line, but the D, that's where the question is. Hopefully having the same D cord for the second straight year will help, but we'll see.

No, actually those statistics are extremely misleading. They piled up outrageous numbers against 4 bad OOC opponents which severely distorted their season numbers.

In big ten play, their offense & defense were virtually identical to the units UM fans suffered through in 08, despite the expectation that things could only get better (I shared that opinion about UM's offense).

UM Team Statistics

OOC | B10 | Stat

----- | ----- |-------

177 | 174 | Scoring Off 2009

056 | 175 | Scoring Off 2008

064 | 266 | Scoring Def 2009

079 | 272 | Scoring Def 2008

--------------------------------

Common B10 Opponents

08 | 09 | Oppon | Diff in scoring

-------------------

20 | 13 | Illinois....| -7

17 | 10 | PSU.......| -7

21 | 20 | MSU......| -1

42 | 36 | Purdue...| -6

27 | 24 | Wisky... | -3

07 | 10 | OSU......| +3

RR's decision to overthrow the defensive coordinator and force the 3-3-5 defense onto the field has made the unit noticeably worse, and is a very poor fit for the physical attacks of the big ten (which just got even deeper with another physical force like Nebraska).

But my wants are easy, at least an 7-8 win season, obviously a bowl, a win over 2 of our big 4 (osu, MSU, Penn, ND), and beating the teams we should (ie Illinois/Purdue/Indiana). But I will say I would take a 6 - 6 season and only one win over our big four, I'll let you guess which one that would be....

I think it has to be at least 8, and he cannot lose to sparty unless he wins 10 games. He's had so many inexcusable losses (including MSU 09) that any more will be nearly impossible to recover from.

iowa will get three out of ten??? Stirrin the pot clone? They had their best team in decades last year and couldnt pull off the conference title.

so his health is why they had to beat UNI by blocking two field goals...almost having arkansas freakin' st come back and beat them...just getting away from lowly michigan...a last second touchdown just to get by michigan st...and when the luck ran out it happened to be when stanzi got hurt...then they blew their lead and lost the game

Amazing,

We have not beaten a top ten team in years, haven't won a conference title in years, in a easier conference and we are going to win 4 CCG in ten years. How long has it been since we did do that.

This is going to be a tough road to hoe guys. We are not jumping out of the frying pan into ice. These boys play rough physical ball and we will get the very best shot from each one of them.

If we win two I would be happy as hell, one would make it a big deal.

Respect your competition, understand that each and every team will have our first game circled from the instant it is on the schedule.

I look forward to the tough games.

That's true enough and well said.

However, there is logic to the wild optimism. What Bo has accomplished in the last two years with the blackshirts is simply incredible. So it goes without saying that most don't consider the Callahan era or even Bo's first two massive rebuilding years as the ceiling that can and will be accomplished.

Now "if" Bo can develop a reasonably consistent, productive offense....then yeah, we'll be in the Big10 title hunt annually in a big way. I too think he'll hack it.

Ohio St 4

Nebraska 4

Cheeseheads 1

PSU 1

Amazing,

We have not beaten a top ten team in years, haven't won a conference title in years, in a easier conference and we are going to win 4 CCG in ten years. How long has it been since we did do that.

This is going to be a tough road to hoe guys. We are not jumping out of the frying pan into ice. These boys play rough physical ball and we will get the very best shot from each one of them.

If we win two I would be happy as hell, one would make it a big deal.

Respect your competition, understand that each and every team will have our first game circled from the instant it is on the schedule.

I look forward to the tough games.

the big 12 is an easier conference? certainly not an easier one to win. you have to go through OU and TX.

for bo's sake i hope we win more than one.... he wont last long if thats all we win. He'd tell you that himself.

• Fire 1

My guess a Michigan State is going to beat you up physically more so than the Texas Techs, I am Tech fan, but I see the difference in the make up of the teams. Big Ten is run it down your throat, kick you in the face type league, we became more spread it out and out talent you at the skill positions. Depth in the Big Ten will be more important than in the Big 12 is my guess. Bodies to fill injured holes.

While your main point about the physicality of TT vs. MSU is certainly true, recent history has made it clear that Tech's style is the bigger challenge for a team like Nebraska. Bo's defense smothered a pretty solid Spartan team back in 2003, and even with a crappy Cotton offense (83rd in total offense), we had no trouble with them (Final: 17-3). On the other hand, Bo's best team yet got pretty thoroughly dominated by Tech (31-10 this past season). Both '03 MSU and '09 TT had 8-4 regular seasons and Alamo Bowl appearances.

Nebraska's lack of firepower and identity on offense, along with the focus on TOP and dominant defense, makes us naturally a better match-up with traditional Big 10 styles (Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, and Ohio St. to a degree) than shootout teams like Texas Tech and even Missouri.

That's a very good point, Jtrain.

No matter how great your defense is you can't expect to win by scoring only 10 points vs TT, 12 vs Texas & 10 vs Oklahoma. If the Sooners had just run the ball we would have lost that game too (5 interceptions). Not to mention if Bradford had been healthy.

I agree our current extreme "Beamer ball" has a slightly better chance of success in the Big10. But I think we won't be able to go head-to-head vs the Buckeyes until we have a decent offense.

so his health is why they had to beat UNI by blocking two field goals...almost having arkansas freakin' st come back and beat them...just getting away from lowly michigan...a last second touchdown just to get by michigan st...and when the luck ran out it happened to be when stanzi got hurt...then they blew their lead and lost the game

blocking one field goal is luck. blocking two in a row is skill. blocking two in a row with the game on the line is HEART!

Iowa won EVERY game stanzi finished...

every one.

you figure it out.

yes, that included lowly UNI (another intrastate rivalry you wouldn't understand) and #4 penn st on the road.

wins are wins. losses are losses.

every team, YES, even nebraska has won with lucky plays. you play enough ball, you'll experience good and bad luck.

lucky isn't losing your qb to an injury in the endzone.

If Iowa was "lucky" last year, stanzi wouldn't have been hurt and the close "lucky" wins would have brought a NC.

now that...

woulda been LUCKY!!

blocking one field goal is luck. blocking two in a row is skill. blocking two in a row with the game on the line is HEART!

Iowa won EVERY game stanzi finished...

every one.

you figure it out.

yes, that included lowly UNI (another intrastate rivalry you wouldn't understand) and #4 penn st on the road.

wins are wins. losses are losses.

every team, YES, even nebraska has won with lucky plays. you play enough ball, you'll experience good and bad luck.

lucky isn't losing your qb to an injury in the endzone.

If Iowa was "lucky" last year, stanzi wouldn't have been hurt and the close "lucky" wins would have brought a NC.

now that...

woulda been LUCKY!!

lucky happens once in a while through many seasons...your luck got stack into one season

lucky happens once in a while through many seasons...your luck got stack into one season

really???

obviously wasn't stacked quite enough last year for the hawks.

certainly not in 2008 either. All FOUR losses by a total of twelve (12) points.

now that was luck..... the BAD kind!!

Nebraska 10

Ohio State 0

Michigan 0

Iowa 0

Wisconsin 0

Penn State 0

Northwestern 0

Michigan State 0

Purdue 0

Indiana 0

Minnesota 0

Illinois 0

No homer :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

• Fire 1