How the Big 12 came back to life

The wounds that this realignment talk exposed will never completely heal. The Texas/Texas A&M possible split will leave many sore about the whole thing. TT getting hind teet in favor of A&M, their rival? The desperate 5 conceding to UT, OU and A&M? Missouri's open flirtation with the Big 10? Not to mention ABC/ESPN getting strong-armed into a deal because they really had no choice won't sit well the next time they negotiate. This league is a house of cards and it will fall sooner or later. Everybody was minutes away from going their separate ways, it is only a matter of time before another league produces a deal that is sweetened to make leaving palatable. I give this league 5 years tops.

I give this league until 1 Jul 2011 when NU officially splits from the Big 12. Within the next year, other conferences, I believe, are really going to look hard at expanding and how they can pick-off teams from the Big 12. The Big 12 is a wounded animal and the scavengers are circling just waiting for the right moment to move in for the kill. The Pac-10 isn't going to take no for an answer. And if the Pac-10 is going to continue its push towards mega-conference status, I'd be willing to bet the SEC will follow suit out of fear they'll be left behind. I think next year will see a whole other round of expansion talks with some teams leaving.

The wounds that this realignment talk exposed will never completely heal. The Texas/Texas A&M possible split will leave many sore about the whole thing. TT getting hind teet in favor of A&M, their rival? The desperate 5 conceding to UT, OU and A&M? Missouri's open flirtation with the Big 10? Not to mention ABC/ESPN getting strong-armed into a deal because they really had no choice won't sit well the next time they negotiate. This league is a house of cards and it will fall sooner or later. Everybody was minutes away from going their separate ways, it is only a matter of time before another league produces a deal that is sweetened to make leaving palatable. I give this league 5 years tops.

I give this league until 1 Jul 2011 when NU officially splits from the Big 12. Within the next year, other conferences, I believe, are really going to look hard at expanding and how they can pick-off teams from the Big 12. The Big 12 is a wounded animal and the scavengers are circling just waiting for the right moment to move in for the kill. The Pac-10 isn't going to take no for an answer. And if the Pac-10 is going to continue its push towards mega-conference status, I'd be willing to bet the SEC will follow suit out of fear they'll be left behind. I think next year will see a whole other round of expansion talks with some teams leaving.

one season of their 11 team round robin(however many conference games they will play) and they will split

Not to mention he was twittering and working in bed that morning, and he only got out of bed because he wanted to get some Starbucks. I mean jesus christ, you get spoonfed all your material so you just sit in your bed using your blackberry and laptop all day and collect your fat paychecks buddy? I hope you enjoy your unrewarding existence as a niche sports columnist.

• 2 weeks later...

i know that i'm slightly late to the party with all this (been working and other things a lot, sorry) but i wanna make one point here on chip brown's article.

that, during all of this, on this twitter (www.twitter.com/ChipBrownOB), not only would he put things out there, but every fifth or so post would put out a free offer to orangebloods.com. he let everyone in for free during that entire 2 week span where he had every scoop.

now, i get that he owns the site w/Rivals, but don't you find it odd that he had all this info before anyone else, even in austin with their ears pinned back ready to report anything had it?? furthermore, he magically needs to put it on his rivals site with a free offer to keep up afterwards? (for the record, he got about 7,000 new subcribers. i'm not sure about how much a month he gets from everyone, but that seems pretty good for his starbucks addiction, no?)

just a few days later after all of this, he kept spouting how Nebraska would owe the Big 12-2 80% of their first year's share in the big 10. i repetedly asked him on twitter (@btbowling) how he came up with such a number, and all he had was that the AD of baylor had told him on his show on espn104.9 in austin.

seems to me that, every morning, he would always be the first one to "break" a story at 6-7 am. so it would be the first topic of conversation on any show in america. magically, he just happened to not have anything to break when he was doing spots for sportscenter during the noon hour or when college football live came a calling.

here's questions that i asked him, and got no response...

- if there was a true offer for four teams to go to the Pac10, and it was a package deal, then why were all schools handled seperately by the Pac 10? if it's a package deal, don't you think all four AD's would have met together and made that deal?

- if you are Joe Castiglione, how are you seriously letting Deloss Dodds decide where your student athletes are going to compete? you can not tell me that the university of oklahoma, along with Okla. St and Texas Tech was just okay with having UT decide on where they were going to go. you can't sell me that Castiglione didn't know that UT was full of it.

- on the same angle, why originally, was Oklahoma getting more of a share than Tech and Oklahoma St from the four north schools and baylor? if oklahoma was going to go anywhere UT went, why was it then necessary for those five schools to give up the money to make sure OU gets paid? if they weren't leaving, why do they need it? a thank you from UT for trusting them?

- what makes you think ESPN/ABC and FSN will pay more for less available games to televise? what makes you think that FSN will (reportedly) raise their stake in your conference a estimated 500%? they only do 2 games, maybe 3 a weekend on their regional channels. they can't put you on national tv, that would upset ABC. also, what makes you think that you'll get the same money the big 10/pac 10 deals with, when they now can get a extra game AND a title game the first week of december?

i do honestly believe that the first school to bolt with be texas tech. they were the very last ones to say yes to anything, and with tuberville's comments, they will be looking for something that they could dominate, more than likely the mountain west. i could see the four north schools left finding something with conference usa.

again, sorry i'm late to the party, but i'd thought i'd share what happened when all this went down. and living in the firestorm (DFW), i got myself into it hot and heavy.

$35-$40 Million from Nebraska and Colorado? What the heck are they smoking. Nebraska AT Most will pay around $16M and assuming Nebraska does take it to court it will probably end up being settled at something more like $6M. Colorado may or may not go to court over the penalties, if they don't they'll probably pay somewhere between $10 and $12M. At MOST Nebraska and Colorado combined would pay about $26M at the top end and I seriously doubt the actual payout is anywhere close to that amount.