Which NU QB will fair best in Big Ten?

ESPY

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

true that martinez has only done average in one spring game,

but if you watched him you know that he showed flashes of why people are talking about him. im not saying he's the next coming. im just saying that he could develop into a crouch-esque type of playmaker. as of right now, he is def not mature enough or poised enough to be the starter. 2 more years and we will see

i completely agree, and i think this is a good discussion, but there is no reason to through anyone under the bus yet. i just don't see why people who like martinez has to be hard on green. i mean, it is enough to say, "martinez will be a better fit because he can run, and even though he might have a weak arm, his play making ability will allow him to succeed." but whenever people say something like that, they always through in a, 'and green is worthless.' (or something like that). you can like one without hating the other, and neither have done much to elicit either emotion. this is all about their perceived strengths and possible potential.

also, i really agree with ESPY, he seemed to have a few bad downs, and that really seemed to rattle him. he needs confidence. that is probably what the baylor game was about, but he may not have been ready. hopefully the coaches get them better prepared so either can lead the team, and then we'll see who is better.

This.

Martinez is quick, yes, but he's nowhere close to where he needs to be passing wise to be throwing into secondaries like Texas, OU, or Ohio State and Penn State.

Green has gotten a bad wrap. He got thrown in before he was ready, no question. And the situations when he got thrown in (aside from Baylor) were practically dire. When he did play vs. Baylor he played well, and he had a "bad second half" because Watson clammed up on the play calling after the fist half lead. I think if they would let Cody be Cody in that game we could have hung 40. If Cody can can clean up his timing on throws a little bit, I'd call him just as valuable (if not more) than Zac.

• Fire 1

i think SD and Gmoose may have taken my comments the wrong way...

in no way was i throwing green under the bus nor appointing martinez as the starter to be.

both of them have tremendous upsides, i just feel like martinez brings a playmaking ability with his feet that green doesnt. dont get me wrong, green can make plays with his feet as well. truth be told i would be happy to see either running the offense down the road.

the question was which QB would be better in the big10.

granted my knowledge of the big10 isnt the greatest and im not claiming to be an expert, judging from the success of Pryor at tosu being a dual threat QB, i may have jumped the gun in saying martinez would be a better fit. maybe im wrong but you dont see many dual threat QBs in the big 10 ( off the top of my head i beleive osu and mich are the only 2) and it would be just another wrinkle that opposing DC's would have to account for. IDK maybe im wrong.

In my perfect scenario, Id really like to see Green grow into the starting role, with martinez in some sort of slot reciever/wildcat qb/on the field. Imagine a backfield that had Green, martinez, and burkhead on the field at the same time... me likey

in no way was i throwing green under the bus nor appointing martinez as the starter to be.

both of them have tremendous upsides, i just feel like martinez brings a playmaking ability with his feet that green doesnt. dont get me wrong, green can make plays with his feet as well. truth be told i would be happy to see either running the offense down the road.

granted my knowledge of the big10 isnt the greatest and im not claiming to be an expert, judging from the success of Pryor at tosu being a dual threat QB, i may have jumped the gun in saying martinez would be a better fit. maybe im wrong but you dont see many dual threat QBs in the big 10 ( off the top of my head i beleive osu and mich are the only 2) and it would be just another wrinkle that opposing DC's would have to account for. IDK maybe im wrong.

In my perfect scenario, Id really like to see Green grow into the starting role, with martinez in some sort of slot reciever/wildcat qb/on the field. Imagine a backfield that had Green, martinez, and burkhead on the field at the same time... me likey

No man, it's cool, he's just saying that often times people DO bash CG when talking up Martinez. Not all the time, but sometimes. And it usually isn't even a very fair argument

well, i was not directing my comments at anyone, necessarily, i just saw the beginning of a flame war. our qbs have been debated ad nauseum and usually it ends up hurtful towards green, which i find to be unfounded. i do like this thread though, i just did not want it to turn into a thread to bash one qb and hype another. just because you think one will be better does not mean the other is garbage.

also, i agree with what you are saying. and i get that all the qb's offer something unique, and they all have there drawbacks. and i really like your perfect scenario, i always thought vick should have been implemented in a similar fashion in the nfl, until he decided to compromise his purina sponsorship. again, i was not directing my comments at you, i just did not want this thread to degenerate into a a fight over how bad any qb is.

Lee will be gone by the time we roll into Big Ten play. So, who's gonna be the man in 2011?

I say by the time we roll into 2011, T Mart will have the starting job, by 2012, Brion will bring a dual threat capability that will be hard to keep him of the field. It will be fun to watch it play out. If Brion doesn't redshirt they will both be in the same class but T Mart will have a lot more time in the offense by the start of next season. I believe their escapability will be what sets them apart. We should be a run first and second down and 3rd and short offense. Scrambling for a few yards to move the chains instead of being sacked on 3rd and 5.

I did not vote for Green based on his decision making last year. Some of the throws he made into double coverages etc. showed this. I hope he proves me wrong and does great this year, but I don't know what it is about Martinez. Just call it fan intuition, but I think he is going to have a more successful career than Green does.

I did not vote for Green based on his decision making last year. Some of the throws he made into double coverages etc. showed this. I hope he proves me wrong and does great this year, but I don't know what it is about Martinez. Just call it fan intuition, but I think he is going to have a more successful career than Green does.

Not trying to be a douche but aside from your "fan's intuition" what reason do we have to believe Martinez will be the QB? He can't really throw worth a lick, and we know how stubborn Wats is, he's not going to change to an option coordinator because Martinez is quick.

I just don't see Martinez thriving in Watson's offense.

i picked green. but he gives me a lot of concerns. i think he has great potential to be dual threat, but he needs composure and to learn the system. last year was tough to judge our offense, play calling was bad (perhaps due to pelini not wanting the offense to lose a game), o-line was bad, receivers were weak, and rb's injured. it will be interesting to see how he could do in a healthy offense with another spring season to grow under his belt.

for me, t-mart does not give me confidence in his ability to through, judging from his high school tapes. hopefully by big 10 play he will have developed into someone who can lead the offense. it should be interesting.

it is hard to say, they both may grow into superstars, failures, or one may be good and the other bad. (having two potential starting qbs scares me, i.e. bobby newcombe)

Just spitballing, probably the qb that the coaches pick to start. I think they have a rough idea who is the best playa.

who knows what the current crop looks like by 2011. Hell, by then they could start someone no one has even heard of.

like a juco transfer.

No offense but they picked Zac Lee last year and how that turn out?

Better poll would be asking who will be Nebraska new OC when they enter the Big Ten.

Unfortunately righ now guys, Brion Carnes is the best prospect we have and he's not even on campus. Cody isn't developing like the staff had wished he would, and Taylor is never going to get meaningful snaps unless he's running specially designed plays (i.e., wildcat formation). Spano isn't in the mix and honestly should transfer. Cody and Magic can't throw well enough nor can they read defenses well enough to give the coaching staff any comfort running the offense.

It's fun to look forward to next year, but we need to hope Lee stays healthy this year. He's far and away our #1 option right now.