Colorado may leave in 2011

Bebe mentioned this in a press confrence a couple weeks ago, but this is the first article I've seen on it. Turns out it could actually save the buffalos money to leave in 2011

Link

So what is exactly the Big 12's dream plan for NU and CU? Does Beebe hold NU and CU upside-down and shake until the pockets empty while DeLoss picks up the conference-saving trillions of $$$ fortune that's laying on the ground, or is it the other way around?

As far as when CU leaves...goes...stays...becomes a stay-at-home mom...I guess I could care less? :dunno

Not meant to disrespect your post kansas husker, I guess since NU will be gone before CU or leave at the same time as NU, it doesn't affect Nebraska, so I don't really care about them.

Bebe mentioned this in a press confrence a couple weeks ago, but this is the first article I've seen on it. Turns out it could actually save the buffalos money to leave in 2011

Link

So what is exactly the Big 12's dream plan for NU and CU? Does Beebe hold NU and CU upside-down and shake until the pockets empty while DeLoss picks up the conference-saving trillions of $$$ fortune that's laying on the ground, or is it the other way around?

As far as when CU leaves...goes...stays...becomes a stay-at-home mom...I guess I could care less? :dunno

Not meant to disrespect your post kansas husker, I guess since NU will be gone before CU or leave at the same time as NU, it doesn't affect Nebraska, so I don't really care about them.

the big 12 just gets messed up faster... :nanalama

It makes perfect sense financially for cash-strapped Colorado. Leaving early is less money out of their pocket and they begin the revenue sharing early from the Pac-10. Right now, they're slated to become full-members in the Pac-10 (Utah however, won't be a full member until 3 years after they join the Pac-10) which means immediate monies coming in. I see this move as step to financial recovery for them and the eventual dismissal of Hawkins.

From an ESPN Blog:

As for Colorado, it negotiated for an immediate full share of revenue upon leaving the Big 12. But there could be a complication. That negotiation had Colorado joining the Pac-10 before the 2012-13 academic year, the first year of a new media contract. Colorado now is considering joining the Pac-10 in 2011, just like Utah.

"There is an open question about the date that Colorado will come in," Scott said. "When we made the announcement it was 2012, but when all the dust settles there is a possibility the timetable will move up to 2011 to start with Utah. When they start in 2012 they will start as a full member in regards to revenue sharing, but if they start earlier we will have to discuss that."

The reason for this is simple. Utah's revenue equity coming from the Mountain West Conference is significantly less than Colorado's revenue equity coming from the Big 12. By 2014-15, a full share for Utah could be more than 10 times the $1.2 million in TV revenue it was collecting in the MWC.

From Arizona's Deseret News:

With the addition of CU and Utah, Navigate projects the Pac-10's next TV deal should be worth about $14.5 million per member school. That's nearly three times the Pac-10's current deal and more than $5 million more than CU received last year from the Big 12.