Citi out as Rose Bowl sponsor

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5311290

Citigroup Inc. has decided not to renew its sponsorship of the Rose Bowl, Sports Business Journal reported on Monday.

Citi, which has sponsored the nation's oldest bowl game for the past seven years, made the decision largely based on flexibility and price, sources said, according to the report.

According to the report, Citi balked at the season-long college football sponsorship that is being asked of all BCS sponsors, saying that was more ad inventory than it wanted.

Sources said AT&T, which in 1999 became the Rose Bowl's first presenting sponsor, is considering resuming its sponsorship of the game, according to the report.

ESPN is responsible for lining up title sponsors for the BCS bowls as part of its contract to broadcast the games, which runs through January 2014.

An ESPN spokesman declined comment on the report Monday.

The Rose Bowl is the second Bowl Championship Series game to lose a longtime sponsor this year. FedEx withdrew as presenting sponsor of the Orange Bowl in May, ending a 21-year run.

At the time, Sports Business Journal reported that FedEx informed ESPN it was bowing out because the company didn't want a larger season-long sponsorship platform.

i like this idea

Untitled-1.jpg

Citi blew all of its money on naming rights to the new Mets stadium. How they figured 53,000 puerto ricans with $1.75 each in disposable income was a better deal than 100,000 rich USC and Buckeye alums, I'll never know. :snacks: Seriously though, I love the Mets and puerto ricans! :bigredn:

Some people here insist that Citi Field should be referred to as "The People's Field" after the government bailout of CitiBank. I hate that company with a passion... They are always the bank caught up in some sleazy scam.

Citi blew all of its money on naming rights to the new Mets stadium. How they figured 53,000 puerto ricans with $1.75 each in disposable income was a better deal than 100,000 rich USC and Buckeye alums, I'll never know. :snacks: Seriously though, I love the Mets and puerto ricans! :bigredn:

Some people here insist that Citi Field should be referred to as "The People's Field" after the government bailout of CitiBank. I hate that company with a passion... They are always the bank caught up in some sleazy scam.

i hate them too...i worked at sears and they are the credit card company linked to sears...i nicknamed them the evil empire... :laughpound

• 2 weeks later...

I wish the Rose Bowl committee wouldn't seek out a new sponsor. The Rose Bowl is The Rose Bowl...not the Chick-fila-Meineke-Midas-Touch-who-gives-a-crap-what-company-is-the-sponsor Bowl

What happened to the days where bowls had one name (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, etc.)?

I am a little late getting in on this, but luckily the Rose Bowl has not yet succumb to the naming rights fiasco the other BCS bowls have. Yes, they have a naming rights sponsor, but the powers that be (i.e. the Pac 10 and Big Ten) will not allow it to be the [Naming Rights here] Rose Bowl (e.g. Tostitos Fiesta Bowl). It will be the Rose Bowl, presented by [Naming Rights here]. A slight difference, but significant enough difference none-the-less for the grandaddy of em' all.