2011 recruiting

Okay so it's obvious that we have several more commits this year than we did last year at this time. But if you look at the list of top players, I could be wrong, but it seems like across the nation the top team's are filling up a lot faster.

Look at Texas, Texas always gets commits early... but last year on national signing day and a few weeks previous, they were waiting for 4-5 players to make decisions... several other players committed during the season... yet this year they have 2 spots left in the summer before the season starts.

Nebraska had 2 commits last year at this time and similar numbers the year before. Right now we have 11 commits with several of the players we're scouting saying they want to commit before their senior seasons start.

Is it just me or are players committing earlier this year?

Okay so it's obvious that we have several more commits this year than we did last year at this time. But if you look at the list of top players, I could be wrong, but it seems like across the nation the top team's are filling up a lot faster.

Look at Texas, Texas always gets commits early... but last year on national signing day and a few weeks previous, they were waiting for 4-5 players to make decisions... several other players committed during the season... yet this year they have 2 spots left in the summer before the season starts.

Nebraska had 2 commits last year at this time and similar numbers the year before. Right now we have 11 commits with several of the players we're scouting saying they want to commit before their senior seasons start.

Is it just me or are players committing earlier this year?

I think schools are making it known that they have only a limited number of spots and those start to fill up. The process does take time but kids know after their visits where they want to go. The whole stringing programs along until noon on signing day really bothers me. If a top recruit knows a top 10 school has a spot but wants to take only some many at their position, it puts pressure on the recruit to get in while the school has a spot for them.

I will not be watching this year when the kids have 5 hats and make a head fake with one hat and put the real one on. It is not fair to the schools holding spots for these elite kids. I think having 10 to 12 kids is great for this time of the year because there are going to be kids that make huge strides this year and blossom this year. It is not wise to have all your spots filled if some new top recruits become available.