Bo's Cornerback Recruiting Intrigues Me

For two years in a row, our staff has targeted a low rated, not highly sought after cornerback from California fairly early in the recruiting process. Aaryn Bouzos initial Rivals rating is a 5.4 2-star. This was the same for Joshua Mitchell last year (even though he was later upgraded to a 5.6 3-star). Aaryn Bouzos listed offers are New Mexico State and Wyoming. Mitchell's wasn't much more impressive with Colorado State, Idaho, San Diego State, UTEP, and Washington State. In fact, I didn't even know Bouzos was being recruited as a CB until BigWillie posted this in another thread. I watched all 9 minutes of his linked film and there was almost nothing in it showing his coverage skills.

With our recruiting momentum and the recent successes of Amukamara and Dennard, I have to think that our coaches are only offering CB's that are high on their board (I heard that at one point last year Mitchell was squarely at the top). So what do you think they are seeing that other staffs are not?

Note: This is meant to be a discussion. I don't think the coaches are doing a poor job nor do I think that I possess even an iota of their ability to evaluate talent.

I was under the impression that Bouzos was a safety target and that Big Willie was stating that he has better cover skills than a certain other previous recruit. I'd be surprised if we recruited him for CB. He's not that fluid.

Here is BigWillie's post from the Bouzos thread:

"Personally, I don't like any of the comparisons being thrown around because we are all comparing him to safeties. Aaryn is being recruited as a CB, where Bo LOVES him at."

I was under the impression that Bouzos was a safety target and that Big Willie was stating that he has better cover skills than a certain other previous recruit. I'd be surprised if we recruited him for CB. He's not that fluid.

Aaryn is definitely being recruited as a CB. Was rated very highly by the coaches.

And if you asked my opinion, I don't see it either. But Bo knows defense, especially the secondary. So while I have skepticism, I am still completely optimistic for Aaryn's future since Bo really likes him.

Bo Knows Secondary!

I am with you on that one. Me telling Bo that his CB recruits are perhaps not up to snuff is akin to me telling a Mayo Clinic surgeon that his methods are lacking (and... I am not a doctor).

Admittedly, the people Bo has snagged early on do raise eyebrows somewhat.... but it cannot be contested that Pelini knows what he is doing. Perhaps Pelini is a guy who really values heart, teachability, humility, focus and passion in a player and... if he sees it and they are at least pretty athletic... then he is confident that he can make the player great. It could be that Bo knows the heart and character of Bozous and Mitchell and is convinced that they have great potential. Things like their heart and drive and attitude --- things Bo knows about them that we have no access to --- are what makes these guys attractive to Pelini.

I will wager this.... if Bo hand picked these guys early on... well I'll bet both guys will end up quite good in the future.

As an aside... and speaking of heart and attitude... there is an article posted on Huskerpedia on Jamal Turner --- the kid has a wonderful attitude. Read it if you get a chance.

• Fire 1

Hopefully soon enough it will be one of those USC/Florida deals. We will offer some lowly rivals corner or safety and the people doing analysis will have to say, "Dang we missed another one. Sanders and Bo offered him so bump him up to a high 4 star and plan on giving him a 5th by the end of the process."

Bo Knows Secondary!

I am with you on that one. Me telling Bo that his CB recruits are perhaps not up to snuff is akin to me telling a Mayo Clinic surgeon that his methods are lacking (and... I am not a doctor).

+1

Does anyone really trust the Sean Callahan's and Jeremy Crabtree's of the world over Bo freakin' Pelini? I mean cmon now.

Bo Knows Secondary!

+1

Does anyone really trust the Sean Callahan's and Jeremy Crabtree's of the world over Bo freakin' Pelini? I mean cmon now.

That is certainly not my point. I never stated that I thought either of these guys were bad offers and I have always been happy with our staff and their recruiting efforts. It is one of those "Which one of these is not like the others" things that just stands out to me, and I am simply curious.

Rivals has some weird discrepancies, that is for certain. Browsing commit lists of our Big 10 brethren, check out Indiana's two four star (and Rivals 250) verbals. One committed in April and the other just a few days ago. Between the two of them, they have 4 BCS offers other than Indiana - Cincinnati, Illinois, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Now check out the offer lists of 3 star players like Michigan's Chris Rock, Ohio State's Devin Smith, or our very own Kevin Williams. Now offer lists certainly don't mean everything and there are tons of underrated players out there, but nevertheless this raises questions in my mind at least.

Bo Knows Secondary!

+1

That is certainly not my point. I never stated that I thought either of these guys were bad offers and I have always been happy with our staff and their recruiting efforts. It is one of those "Which one of these is not like the others" things that just stands out to me, and I am simply curious.

Rivals has some weird discrepancies, that is for certain. Browsing commit lists of our Big 10 brethren, check out Indiana's two four star (and Rivals 250) verbals. One committed in April and the other just a few days ago. Between the two of them, they have 4 BCS offers other than Indiana - Cincinnati, Illinois, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Now check out the offer lists of 3 star players like Michigan's Chris Rock, Ohio State's Devin Smith, or our very own Kevin Williams. Now offer lists certainly don't mean everything and there are tons of underrated players out there, but nevertheless this raises questions in my mind at least.

I wasn't calling you out specifically, just making a general statement. I trust offer lists much more than i trust star ratings.