NU ranked #1 in Rogers Preseason Poll

There is no justification for this with the kind of offense we displayed last year. Combine that with the guys we lost on defense, and there is no way we belong at #1.

I'm fully willing to believe that this team could earn their way to #1, but preseason? Nope. There are far more deserving teams out there.

ND is #59. :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

How do calculate the Rogers Poll??? I didnt see an explanation on their website.

The Rogers Poll is an unbiased system that can be employed to provide a comprehensive ranking of any sport. The algorithm that computes each team's poll score measures a team strictly by what they have proven with their performance throughout the season. It does not punish or reward based on tradition, name, or conference affiliation.

The goal of the Rogers Poll rankings is to effectively process the complex mosaic of each season, taking into account the entire body of work for each team. The rankings do not account for "talented" a team is perceived to be. Furthermore, the rankings are not intended to represent a hierarchical account of who could beat who. In fact, game score predictions using the poll data as a foundation are not designed to necessarily align with rankings.

The Rogers Poll has been recognized as an advanced system by the rating and ranking community and is: (1) included in the Kenneth Massey comparisons of all major systems for college basketball, baseball, and football (beginning 2010); (2) listed as a national championship selector for college football by the College Football Data Warehouse; and (3) listed among major publications for college football preseason projections by Chris Stassen.

The Rogers Poll has been statistically demonstrated by Kenneth Massey as publishing the most accurate Top 25 in college basketball.

For specific inquiries regarding the Rogers Poll, feel free to contact me by e-mail, on Twitter, or on Facebook.

LINK

What a load of hogwash!

Although last year's pre-season poll was not that far off.

With USC ready to tank, I don't think some of the wacky Pac-10 predictions are all that impossible. I don't think Lane Kiffin is going to do much of anything with the players that do stick around... I think the Pac-10 is wide open this year and anything is really possible. Say Washington has a great year (with only a loss to the Huskers). Winning the conference would propel them up the ranks pretty quickly. Not out of the question.

Like someone said earlier, I too think this team has an outside chance of earning a #1 ranking by the end of the season if we go undefeated... but a preseason #1 is just silly.

Hopefully we'll be a in position before too long to warrant preseason #1s.

That doesn't answer the question of what they base a preseason poll on. From that explanation it would seem as if no Rogers poll should exist until a few games have been played.

Go back and check past seasons' pre and post season rankings

They're not any different than anyone else's preseason rankings. What am I missing?