'Major League' Actor James Gammon Dies From Cancer

EW: "Gruff-voiced character actor James Gammon, perhaps best known as Cleveland Indians manager Lou Brown in the 1989 big-screen comedy Major League, died Friday in Costa Mesa, Calif., after a battle with cancer, the Los Angeles Times reports. He was 70 years old. The Illinois native boasted a lengthy Hollywood resume, with film credits including Urban Cowboy, The Milagro Beanfield War, Ironweed, Silverado, Major League II, and Cold Mountain. He played the father of Don Johnson’s character on Nash Bridges from 1996 to 2001, and guest-starred on TV shows such as Gunsmoke, The Waltons, Charlie’s Angels, Homefront, and Grey’s Anatomy. Gammon also made his mark on the stage, starring in a host of Sam Shepard plays and co-founding the MET Theater in Los Angeles; he earned a Tony nomination for his role in a 1996 Broadway production of Shepard’s Buried Child."

I absolutely loved him in the Major League movies. I didnt know his "real" name, I just always called him Lou Brown.

My favorite Major League scene.....

[the Indians General Manager calls minor league coach Lou Brown at Tire World to offer him a position with the Indians]

Charlie Donovan: How would you like to manage the Indians this year?

Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know...

Charlie Donovan: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.

Lou Brown: Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

RIP in peace Lou Brown aka James Gammon