Media Gate

Vuren

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100821/SPORTS/708219795/1027#shatel-moglia-says-pelini-s-potential-phenomenal

“I think he’s going to be phenomenal," Moglia said. “When I think of the great leaders that I always aspired to, I think of (Vince) Lombardi, John Wooden. In business, it was guys like Lee Iacocca and Jack Welch. In finance, Warren Buffett.

“I think Bo has the potential to be one of those guys in the world of football. Why? Because he has the skill set for football; he’s phenomenal with football. But he has the passion for his people that separates him from others. He will go down rather than not protect the best interests of his players, coaches and their families."

Moglia pointed to last week’s “Media Gate" as a perfect example of what he was talking about.

A lot of people backed Pelini in his decision to cut off media access for three days to prove a point. But Pelini was criticized in some corners for a knee-jerk reaction. Overreacting. Another example of Pelini’s immaturity as a CEO.

Moglia said it’s quite the opposite. Last week, he said, showed a huge growth spurt in Pelini’s maturity as a CEO. He also said it’s one of those little moments that could help add up to a championship one day.

This pretty much sums up the whole argument over the media ban:

“Bo visited Fish in the hospital that night," Moglia said. “The kid’s mom thanked Bo and said, ‘I can’t imagine what would have happened if I read on Twitter or saw in a press release or read it in the paper the next day something about my son that wasn’t factual or I hadn’t known yet.’ That is tremendous reinforcement for Bo that he is holding up his promise. That’s a big deal here.

Moglia knows a thing or two about football — he's a former high school head coach and defensive coordinator at Dartmouth. And he knows a thing or three about being a CEO; in seven years as the CEO of TD Ameritrade, Moglia turned the company into a world leader in online equity trading.

HS football coach. DC at Dartmouth. CEO of brokerage firm. Interesting career path.

If he can help out NU somehow, well, all good.