Didn't like the lack of intensity

Power-I

Typical first game

next

Yep, typical first game for teams who want to go 9-3, and really fight hard but lose in the conference title game.

Next. :)

Really? Do I really need to go find examples of less than 3 loss teams that had subpar games against terrible opponents? Hell I wouldn't even have to use other teams to find many examples, I vaguely remember many of such games during our most dominant era.

No. you can just looked a Saturdays game to a number teams the played like crap. :lol: Comparing to what we did yesterday against WKU to OU,Florida,Ole Miss,Kansas,Mizzou,Texas did in their openers, I thought we did alright. All those teams struggled against extremely weaker opponents.

This was the first game, not the 6th. If we contiune to struggle by the Kstate, Texas games. Then people can start questioning the leadership/intensity of the defense.

Championship arent won in the first game in of the year.

Back to the original point of my thread, I don't care if we had 700 fumbles. This isn't an argument about the score or X's and O's or mis-plays. I just hope the defensive attitude changes next week, because one quarter of greatness doesn't make up for 3 quarters of running around with a bag over your head.

Dude you need to relax, first of all they gained 19yrds the first half...not the first quarter the first half. Anyone who knows anything about football could see they made adjustments at half time and we obviously didnt, and we got lackadasical and they pushed us around. That will not happen again you can bet the house on it. As alot of other guys have said we didnt exactlty throw the playbook at them. We barely blitzed we didnt do any stunts, it was a basic, basic defense for LBers making there first start and having to run the whole D with two days notice.

Hell David just got here this summer, and now he is making the calls on D and having to make sure the D is lined up correctly. On the touchdown run Crick wasnt lined up correctly and David was trying to move him when the ball got snapped and both were out of posttion.

Its going to happen give em break guys. Most of these guys arent even old enough to drink and some of you guys are sitting behind your computer bashing KIDS...give em a break. Its amazing how stupid some of you sound, they are just kids give em a F'n break. :facepalm:

I felt it was a very typical first game of the season. Not everything is running smoothly and we definitely didn't take the opponents very seriously after the game was well in hand. There are some individual efforts that need to be lifted and some coaching to be done, but hardly cause for concern just yet.

Hard to expect intensity when we are just taking it easy and not playing guys who would've played in a more serious game. Intensity is good but teams do have to pace themselves. You got to last a whole season and not be spent after a non conference slate of Idaho and WKU.

I would like to believe that, but you don't see national title teams like 'Bama last year and USC in the mid-00's lack intensity, even in the games that aren't considered a "serious game".

How can a team that plays under Pelini lose intensity? This is a guy who called a 49-10 beat down an "absolute embarrassment" from a defensive standpoint. I'm just taking my queue from him on intensity expectations. I would expect mistakes to be from penalties from being too intense and undisciplined , not the opposite.

If you don't think Bama and USC ever had games where they lacked intensity then you don't watch football very often.

Relax.

Let's go back to our last national championship team in 1997. It was the second game of the year AT HOME, and we were down 17 - 14 at the half to Central Florida. (We won 38 - 24.)

The point is that you can have a national championship team, and while you might expect them to come out firing on all cylinders each and every game, you'll often be disappointed with the reality of the situation. 18 to 21 year-old kids, regardless of their talent level, are subject to emotional ups and downs that affect their play. These aren't NFL professionals.

I'd venture a guess that you can pick any championship team's season and you'll find games in which you would think that they should have performed a lot better than what they did.

I thought about that UCF game as well. Culpepper played great that day and I think it put him on the national radar against a good Blackshirt squad. Even on offense, the home crowd tried to boo Scott Frost off the field.

I would also point to Pacific in 1995. It was a 49-7 win but despite the score the reaction to the game was "what went wrong?". they knew they only had to show up and they seemed to lacked intensity in that game.

Its not an excuse. It happens even to the best teams but it Shouldn't. I'm confident they will hear about it from the coaches and it won't happen again.

Maybe best for another topic but this brings up a general issue. I guess I don't mind playing 1 crap team in the "preseason" as a way to work out some kinks but this year is just bad. three low end teams (no disrespect to Idaho)?

I know Nebraska can schedule anyone and have the fans show up no matter what, but Pederson took creampuffing to a new (KSU-like) level with the 2008-10 schedules.

How do you prevent a lack of intensity when most of their early games are like that? Hopefully Idaho isn't a trap game.

It makes it harder to "FINISH" when you might lose interest by halftime each week.

I think we have a good (and could be great) team this season, with tons of talent at every position. What I didn't like was what I felt was a lack of intensity. I don't care if its Western Kentucky in the first game of the year. Go for the jugular. It just felt like players were lackadaisical out there much of the time. Mostly on defense, but also on offense at times too. Especially in the 2nd quarter. I mean you talk about a letdown following an electric 1st quarter. They let off the gas pedal way too early.

Lack of intensity is not something I’m worried about under Pelini. His teams don’t quit. Couldn’t always say that about the teams of he who shall not be named. It was just sad to watch the Blackshirts roll over in the 4th qtr a few years back.

This team has got fire in their belly.