Man, was I WRONG......

formerfan

I think we are still another couple of years away. I hope I am wrong. But I doubt with losses this year we will make big inroads on recruiting. This is a make or break year for this staff I now think. I had thought they would be given 5 years, but I do not feel that now.

Above quote from Skersfan.

I couldn't agree more! BC and staff have recruited extremely well. How long will future recruits "believe" in the system if the team doesn't come thru? Put yourself into the position of a 5 Star high school football player. If dramatic improvement doesn't happen this year, would YOU buy into the "system". Other colleges will be so happy to point out that the "king doesn't have any cloths".

I'm still a believer and still a fan, but THIS YEAR IS CRITICAL!

BC has a point when he refers to USC's success with the WCO.

For the last time people, USC DOES NOT run the West Coast Offense. But dont take my word for it, take Carson Palmers word.....

USC's Palmer thinks new offense is a perfect fit

June 4, 2001

Jeff D'Alessio

The Sporting News

New coach. New offense. New Carson Palmer? USC fans hope so. Palmer, who was picked off 18 times last year in Paul Hackett's West Coast offense, is hoping for a breakthrough junior season under Pete Carroll and new offensive coordinator Norm Chow. The 6-5 Palmer has had his moments in two years as the Trojans' starter, racking up 5,159 passing yards, the most for a USC quarterback at the end of his sophomore year. In the latest installment of One-on-One, Palmer talks about expectations, country music and Dr. Seuss.

TSN: Compare your new offense to the one you ran last year.

CP: They're completely different. The West Coast offense is an NFL-style offense. It's very complex and takes a while to learn. Coach Chow's offense is very different. It's very basic. He pretty much taught it to me in two weeks. The West Coast offense takes three years to learn. We've already put in everything we have in Coach Chow's offense. In this new offense, there's no seven-step drops. Everything is about getting rid of the ball quick. If you hitch twice, you're wrong in this offense. In the West Coast offense, you're taking a lot of five-step drops and hitching a couple times and trying to find the third guy. This offense, all you're doing is dropping back and getting rid of the ball as fast as you can.

TSN: Sounds like you prefer the new offense.

CP: It's better for this team. The West Coast offense is tough to run in college football. To do it, you've got to have every guy at every position. You've got to have the tight end that can run down the field, receivers for this down and for this pattern and a certain type of running back. This offense is suited to what you have. If you have a good receiver, you're going to run this play. If you have a back that can't do this, you're not going to run this play.

FF,

Would you rather quote Carson Palmer on what they run...

...or Bill Walsh who oddly describes the same thing Palmer did as the WCO..."[the West Coast Offense]... is an umbrella term for precision-timed passing, variable formations, and the exploitation of each player's skills."

The important thing to consider, really, isn't that they run a WCO (or not :P) but that Chow/Carroll installed it in 1 year. Just because a playbook is thick doesn't make it impossible to learn, obviously.

IRISH!

GBR!

Reality, we are in real trouble from what I saw last nite. The OL is possibly the worst we have ever had. The DL is with out a doubt the worst we have ever had. Their 8 man rotation was mauled by Maine's division two OL. The DB's were adequate and LB's played well, but it is against a 5-6 division 2 team. If Ruud had not intercepted that ball, I think we would have lost last nite. I know we would have lost against any other team on our schedule.

Our talent level is so low we may never recover from this.

And I said this before and I will say it again. I love BC, but I wish he would stick that friggen book up his butt and get into the game. If the players have to know the plays then the OC/Head Coach should too.

yer nutz