"....home of the Sooners!"

Seems OU's tradition of saying "...home of the Sooners!" instead of "...Home of the brave!" has hit a sore spot

Newsok.com

Last Saturday, the ninth anniversary of 9/11, the university issued a video request to honor the words of the anthem. Yet “Sooners” replaced “brave” louder than ever with tens of thousands of fans.

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said OU will make another attempt to curb the tradition, though he declined to say what was planned.

Tuesday, Stoops recalled his team playing at Air Force in 2001. After OU's 44-3 victory, the Sooner players stopped their celebrating on the field and got quiet as the Air Force players and fans sang the school's fight song.

It's a hot topic issue here in OKC. It's something they've been doing for years. Personally, as someone who has been in the military for 21 years and counting, I see nothing wrong with it. There's no malicious intent or disrespect intended. Let them have their fun.

:yeah I'm in Iraq right now and I say more power to them.

It's a hot topic issue here in OKC. It's something they've been doing for years. Personally, as someone who has been in the military for 21 years and counting, I see nothing wrong with it. There's no malicious intent or disrespect intended. Let them have their fun.

:yeah I'm in Iraq right now and I say more power to them.

Keep your head down and come home soon! :cheers

There was a big hue and cry over Atlanta Braves fans doing this during the National Anthem a few years back. Someone took umbrage to the fact that they were singing (and continue to sing to this day) "...And the home of the Braves."

It blew over, the idiots went back to their villages, and the song is still being sung the same way.

I've only been to one Lincoln Stars match and that was many years ago, but if I recall correctly the crowd did something similar during the Anthem, emphasizing the word "star" a couple of times.

There was a big hue and cry over Atlanta Braves fans doing this during the National Anthem a few years back. Someone took umbrage to the fact that they were singing (and continue to sing to this day) "...And the home of the Braves."

It blew over, the idiots went back to their villages, and the song is still being sung the same way.

I've only been to one Lincoln Stars match and that was many years ago, but if I recall correctly the crowd did something similar during the Anthem, emphasizing the word "star" a couple of times.

That was my first thought. Its always very prominent at hockey games, especially Mavericks and Lancers. I've never heard of anyone getting bent out of shape about it.