Jake Locker as fast as Martinez

mnhusker

So after watching Locker's highlight tape, he has a cannon of an arm and has a bunch of 10-15 yard scrambles. Show me where he breaks one off and separates.

Zac Lee looked fast against Arizona. Need I say more?

I'm sorry, but Locker puts Lee to shame in every aspect of his game. That Locker run against AZ was impressive. Give the guy credit.

I think that Joe's point was that even Lee looked fast against Arizona, so imagine how fast Martinez will look against a PAC10 team that finished behind Arizona.

So after watching Locker's highlight tape, he has a cannon of an arm and has a bunch of 10-15 yard scrambles. Show me where he breaks one off and separates.

I'm sorry, but Locker puts Lee to shame in every aspect of his game. That Locker run against AZ was impressive. Give the guy credit.

I think that Joe's point was that even Lee looked fast against Arizona, so imagine how fast Martinez will look against a PAC10 team that finished behind Arizona.

Or maybe he was just saying that Lee looked fast against Arizona, so it's no surprise that Locker did too.

At this time, Jake Locker is simply a much better QB than Taylor Martinez, as well as being a tremendous freak athlete with supposed 4.4 speed (40 times only mean so much, anyway).

That doesn't mean he'll win the game, but let's deal with reality here...Martinez executes a beautiful ball fake and runs the ball pretty well. Let's not act like that is the end all, be all to quarterbacking. He has a long way to go, but certainly some potential.

Tmart only "runs the ball pretty well"? Geesh zoogies, I know you'll never be happy until they bench him for Lee but c'mon....he's leading the nation in 13.5 ypc with five TDs. Lee couldn't run that quick if you shoved him out of an airplane.

But I'm glad you see he has "some potential". Lastly, it's debatable how much better a cfb (not NFL) qb Locker really is. We'll have a good idea very soon.

Where's he on passing, bshirt?

I'm being realistic, is all. Some are looking at two creampuff games and proclaiming him to be our savior. You of all people should know better. You really think he'll hold down 13.5 ypc throughout the year? If I had to guess, he would be doing well to hold onto half of that by the end of the year.

Locker is widely regarded as one of the premier quarterbacks in college football. He hasn't put up the production to match the hype, but neither has Taylor. Locker is simply pretty far ahead of Taylor right now, and I don't think that's a debatable point. Will Taylor end up better than him? Conceivable, but that would be a big projection at this point. What do you want me to do? Bow down and proclaim Taylor the most amazing runner that's walked the earth, with an infinite realm of potential? He's done well so far, but I mean, hoooooooooold those horses.

He's 21 of 32 for 66% passing. And that's with at least three drops that I can recall at the moment. With a grand total of "one" interceptions.

What does a qb gotta do to get your acceptance not named Z. Lee? Run for 900 yds a game and throw ten TDs a game?

But yeah, Lee looked great vs the creampuffs last year too, I'll definately give you that. Heh, one of us will be dead wrong Saturday.....I hope it's you!!! Haha.....but if not, I look forward to a ten gallon bowl of crow.

GBR!!!

:koolaid2:

Here's the thing. Martinez is 21/32, 65.6% on the year, 242 yards, 0 picks, 1 INT. He also has 21 rushes for an unreal 284 yards and 5 scores. Lee, after two games last year - 42/57, 73.7%, 453 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT through the air. To me, doesn't matter how you get the yards and the scores. We know very little about the kind of quarterback that this TMagic kid is yet. He will define himself over the course of the season.

I stand by my statement that Locker is far ahead of Martinez right now and it isn't much of a discussion. That said, I fully expect Locker to be bottled up in this game and the Huskers to roll. Unless the Wash defense is pretty good, Taylor can break a few more runs.

Zoogies,

I understand that you are just trying to be the voice of reason etc. but you have to understand that most people are taking it as you bashing Martinez to push a Zac Lee style agenda be that the case or not. Again dont take it the wrong way, but it just seems like every time there is a qb thread you can bet that Zoogies will be in there with a post about how Martinez isnt all that great. Just wanted to tell ya that its rubbing people the wrong way, thats all.

Sincerely,

Husker B-rent

Bingo.

-locker runs 4.4

-martinez runs 4.5

locker is a target with no o-line, while martinez has good linemen in front of him. i think i'm not going to be quick to crown him because of the lack of competition.

Source? Make that RELIABLE source?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2012421961_checking_in_with_ivan_lewis.html?syndication=rss

Apparently you misinterpret the word reliable. I'm definitely going to believe that. No.

by 'reliable' you probably mean 'i want something from a huskers site saying that', so here http://thehusker.com/jake-locker-40-yard-dash/

and yes, it's unofficial. his lowest official time is 4.43

Lee IS fast. If you want to go by Rivals' 4.6 reported, or his drill results before the '09 season I think, or 0:52 and 1:32 on the highlight video, you are just ignoring reality if you want to say he is slow. Note that I am not saying he is faster than Locker or Taylor. But there's a huge misconception that Lee is some stone-footed pocket passer, which is very far from reality. Lee's a traditional passer, but he's an athlete.

It's not about looking fast, that's just how it is. Locker may not look as fast against us as Taylor looks against Washington, but he is flat-out fast and it's folly to just ignore that reality. I do think Taylor has a more lightning first step, but that's just based on that one video of the Arizona run where Locker came off of being hit.

Or maybe he was just saying that Lee looked fast against Arizona, so it's no surprise that Locker did too.

That too. Trust me if Locker tears it up on the ground against us, I will eat crow. I always rooted for the guy after the first time I saw him play. He just never had the supporting cast around him to win more games than he has.

-locker runs 4.4

-martinez runs 4.5

locker is a target with no o-line, while martinez has good linemen in front of him. i think i'm not going to be quick to crown him because of the lack of competition.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2012421961_checking_in_with_ivan_lewis.html?syndication=rss

Apparently you misinterpret the word reliable. I'm definitely going to believe that. No.

by 'reliable' you probably mean 'i want something from a huskers site saying that', so here http://thehusker.com/jake-locker-40-yard-dash/

No. By reliable, I mean I want something from an unbiased source. A Nebraska site is not unbiased. Nor is the Washington coaching staff. Rivals, Scout, ESPN, Yahoo Sports, etc.

Zoogies,

I understand that you are just trying to be the voice of reason etc. but you have to understand that most people are taking it as you bashing Martinez to push a Zac Lee style agenda be that the case or not. Again dont take it the wrong way, but it just seems like every time there is a qb thread you can bet that Zoogies will be in there with a post about how Martinez isnt all that great. Just wanted to tell ya that its rubbing people the wrong way, thats all.

Sincerely,

Husker B-rent

I see your point, but I'm a skeptic is all. It's hard for me to root for Taylor yet, but I'm seeing him being put up on a pedestal and that is not going to be good for us when he is brought down to earth. He's a freshman - it is going to happen - no need to push the panic button when he does, but I'm thinking that is what will probably occur once Taylor is not averaging 18 yards a carry.

I didn't actually bring up Lee in this thread, bshirt did. Now if you want to talk about a guy that's always bagging a player :) I'd be rich if I had a penny for every time bshirt used the "Lee's just a guy who can look great against Sunbelt opponents", and I find it perplexing that the same logic is used the proclaim Taylor as a game-changing monster.

I do like Lee a lot and find it hard to root for Taylor under the circumstances, but I still cheer for the Huskers regardless. I am not bashing Taylor so much as trying to defend Lee from a number of unfair bagging-on's, as well as trying to just temper expectations for Taylor because realistically, we've got to be patient with him when he has that 10 carry, 42 yard day. I'm not going to lie though, I am worried that when that happens, the entire offense will disappear along with him. Hopefully, I'm wrong. We'll see.

But back to topic. I think we can acknowledge Locker's skills and talents and that doing so doesn't knock down our own QB. I don't understand why people are trying to knock Locker or put him down. Just because he's a good QB though, doesn't mean the defense will knock the ish out of him, Blaine Gabbert/Colt McCoy style.

-locker runs 4.4

-martinez runs 4.5

No. By reliable, I mean I want something from an unbiased source. A Nebraska site is not unbiased. Nor is the Washington coaching staff. Rivals, Scout, ESPN, Yahoo Sports, etc.

its not 'biased', its unofficial. i can find hundreds of sources that all say the same thing: locker was timed at 4.39 unofficially, and ivan lewis reported it. again, his lowest official time is 4.43. heres the source: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=65735&draftyear=2011&genpos=QB

Zoogies,

Sincerely,

Husker B-rent

I see your point, but I'm a skeptic is all. It's hard for me to root for Taylor yet, but I'm seeing him being put up on a pedestal and that is not going to be good for us when he is brought down to earth. He's a freshman - it is going to happen - no need to push the panic button when he does, but I'm thinking that is what will probably occur once Taylor is not averaging 18 yards a carry.

I didn't actually bring up Lee in this thread, bshirt did. Now if you want to talk about a guy that's always bagging a player :) I'd be rich if I had a penny for every time bshirt used the "Lee's just a guy who can look great against Sunbelt opponents", and I find it perplexing that the same logic is used the proclaim Taylor as a game-changing monster.

I do like Lee a lot and find it hard to root for Taylor under the circumstances, but I still cheer for the Huskers regardless. I am not bashing Taylor so much as trying to defend Lee from a number of unfair bagging-on's, as well as trying to just temper expectations for Taylor because realistically, we've got to be patient with him when he has that 10 carry, 42 yard day. I'm not going to lie though, I am worried that when that happens, the entire offense will disappear along with him. Hopefully, I'm wrong. We'll see.

But back to topic. I think we can acknowledge Locker's skills and talents and that doing so doesn't knock down our own QB. I don't understand why people are trying to knock Locker or put him down. Just because he's a good QB though, doesn't mean the defense will knock the ish out of him, Blaine Gabbert/Colt McCoy style.

That's totally unfair zoogies.

I only brought up Lee in reference you always dissing Tmart and suggesting directly or indirectly repeatably that Lee brings more to the table. Anyway.....enough.

At this time, Jake Locker is simply a much better QB than Taylor Martinez, as well as being a tremendous freak athlete with supposed 4.4 speed (40 times only mean so much, anyway).

That doesn't mean he'll win the game, but let's deal with reality here...Martinez executes a beautiful ball fake and runs the ball pretty well. Let's not act like that is the end all, be all to quarterbacking. He has a long way to go, but certainly some potential.

^ My post.

Your response.

Tmart only "runs the ball pretty well"? Geesh zoogies, I know you'll never be happy until they bench him for Lee but c'mon....he's leading the nation in 13.5 ypc with five TDs. Lee couldn't run that quick if you shoved him out of an airplane.

I'm sorry you feel that I am always dissing Tmart. I am suggesting only that the expectations be reigned in. He does some things exceptionally well. Other things, he has a lot to improve on. Last year, it must have seemed like I was dissing Green pretty badly in the preseason and during the season when tons were calling for him to start and others thought he wasn't ready or wasn't good enough of a passer. No matter, the hype went on. By offseason, I was having to defend Green from critics who were now saying he'd never amount to anything. To this day people still have to defend Lucky from those saying he was a huge bust, etc. That's what unrealistic and prematurely high expectations can do to a player. Now we can either say "Taylor is the best thing since sliced bread, just look at his performance" or "Taylor is fast, but that doesn't mean he's a bigger threat than Jake Locker" and view his progression more realistically and with more patience.

Just my 2 cents. You're right, enough.

No biggie at all zoogies. I just get a little excited sometimes.... :koolaid2:

You might very well be proven right as Lee with his experience certainly does bring a lot of good things for NU. He's just a couple hard hits away from saving our ship. Tmart/Green wil probably run the ball a LOT this year and he might be desperately needed anytime. A little patience zoogies......he'll be in there!

This of course is our first "real" test and who knows how it will turn out? But back to the thread.....

I think we'll all see that on the field Locker won't have anything close to Tmart's warp 9 acceleration. UW fans will not like seeing that whatsoever. That he's a 100 times more nimble and agile won't be fun for them either.

If we don't self destruct w/penalties & turnovers (and I very doubt we will) NU will be way too much for the Huskies.