Keith Williams and o-line demanded to run

HuskerNMO

Great quote and article

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13972505/familiar-sight-huskers-bring-back-punishing-style

Nice sentiment, but what could have been known as the Cody Green Memorial Sympathy Snap almost gutted Nebraska's 56-21 gutting of Washington. Because it was his turn, the sophomore was in the game edging forward from his own 12 with six minutes left in the first half. He fumbled, setting up the Huskies for their easiest touchdown of the day during what turned out to be its toughest day of the season.

At that point it was 21-14 Nebraska and senior left guard Keith Williams had seen enough. He led a mini-insurrection by the offensive line. No switching quarterbacks. Hell, no passing as far he was concerned.

"We came to the sidelines and we demanded that we wanted to run the ball," Williams said. "We wanted to prove it. So we proved it. We asked for it. They gave it to us."

Sometimes coaching staffs are brilliant. Sometimes they outthink themselves. Sometimes they follow a script that doesn't make much sense. Sometimes they listen wisely to a 6-foot-5, 330-pound man and equally large teammates. The eight-play drive that followed Williams' "suggestion" was not so much medieval in its brutal efficiency, but mid-90s. That's the last time Nebraska was winning national championships, three of them in a four-year stretch, by consistently pancaking fools in road-grading fashion.

"That's why I came," said Williams, a 6-foot-5, 310-pounder from the St. Louis suburbs. "It was downhill, physical football. Letting the defense know we're running right at you. Boom, boom, boom."

The eight plays that followed Green's fumble went for 7, 10, 9, 3, 4, 6, and 8 yards before a 1-yard touchdown by Martinez. If the redshirt freshman announced himself to the country on Saturday (four touchdowns, three of them rushing) then Nebraska reintroduced itself. That drive was part of 20 consecutive running plays by the Huskers that spanned two halves, gained 242 yards and produced four rushing touchdowns. That included Green's fumble and a Martinez kneel-down at the end of the first half.

It's clear that Nebraska got pissed, then it got even.

I'm glad someone finally came out and said it.

Look, national championship caliber teams don't wonder if they can run the football. They always run the football. Whatever down, whatever team, they have to be able to do it. Washington was over matched. If we couldn't run on them, we got problems. I'm glad someone from the line stepped up and said, "Time to run." This is what Nebraska's identity should be. It's what it's always been, and always will be. We're a running team that plays superb defense. That's how we're going to add to our trophy collection.

• Fire 1

Look, national championship caliber teams don't wonder if they can run the football. They always run the football. Whatever down, whatever team, they have to be able to do it. Washington was over matched. If we couldn't run on them, we got problems. I'm glad someone from the line stepped up and said, "Time to run." This is what Nebraska's identity should be. It's what it's always been, and always will be. We're a running team that plays superb defense. That's how we're going to add to our trophy collection.

:yeah

and because this is the first time I have thought to use it...

:bonesflag:

Remember the Texas defense against the run last year, I still have nightmares about that.