John Blake's recruiting pitch to #1 recruit Jadeveon Clowney

Nexus

I dont think anyone should judge Blake's ability to coach or recruit. He has two future potential top 10 picks in Robert Quinn and Marvin Austin, Quinn who is #3 on Kipers big board(not sure reliable that is anymore after he ate crow for saying Locker would be #1 in last years class) but they have a stud line, and in seems large part due to Blake and his recruiting.

i don't know that anyone has ever questioned blake's ability to recruit top kids. of course, NC might be wondering about now whether it was worth it...

as to coaching ability, the only coaches that "got suh right" have italian names that start with 'p'.

suh was not impressive as a RSF reserve in 2006 under blake. he started in 2007 under wyatt, and again, was not particularly impressive. not sure i care who was better out of wyatt and blake, though it's worth noting in those sack numbers that blake had two NFL defensive ends in 2006 that wyatt did not.

Here's Suh's bio from his freshman year, he did a great job for a reserve player his freshman year. Generally players are named to teams like freshman all-conference without impressing.

2006 (Redshirt Freshman)

Suh played in all 14 games as a backup defensive lineman and earned freshman all-conference honors from The Sporting News. Despite coming off the bench, he finished the year with 19 total tackles, and ranked among the team leaders in tackles for loss (8) and sacks (3.5).

He totaled at least one tackle for loss in five of seven games to start the year, including a three-TFL effort featuring 1.5 sacks against Troy and NU’s lone sack against USC. He added three stops against both Nicholls State and Kansas State, when he also finished with two tackles for loss, a sack, a fumble caused, an interception and two quarterback hurries. Suh also saw time on special teams as a blocker on the place-kicking unit.

Asked J-Clowney who had the most unique recrting pitch.. John Blake: "Man, I can get you right! That guy at Nebraska (Suh)-I got him right."

LINK

funny, blake didn't mention how badly suh underperformed under his tutelage. in any case, we should thank him for his recruiting successes and thank the lord he left town before he could damage our program even more than his bosses already did.

Suh did pretty well under Blake in 2006, it was 2007 under Wyatt that he fell off performance wise.

In 2006 our d-line had 24.5 sacks under Blake in his last year here

In 2007 we had 7.5 sacks from the d-line under Wyatt

In 2008 we had 27.5 under Carl/JP

In 2009 we had 33.5 under Carl/JP

In 2010 we have 8 through 3 games from Carl/JP

So it takes Carl and JP 3 games to equal the sack production of a full year under Wyatt :facepalm:

(we have 9 through 3 games)

Strictly counting d-line, Lavonte David has one of this years sacks, and is a linebacker.

suh was not impressive as a RSF reserve in 2006 under blake. he started in 2007 under wyatt, and again, was not particularly impressive. not sure i care who was better out of wyatt and blake, though it's worth noting in those sack numbers that blake had two NFL defensive ends in 2006 that wyatt did not.

Carl/JP had a 1.02 NFL DT, it's worth noting...and potentially, a few more guys that are going to end up there. C'mon - some of that credit has to go to the coaches. If Carl/JP get credit for Suh, then surely someone on the previous staff should have credit for Carriker, Moore, Dagunduro, and Cryer.

Carl/JP had a 1.02 NFL DT, it's worth noting...and potentially, a few more guys that are going to end up there. C'mon - some of that credit has to go to the coaches. If Carl/JP get credit for Suh, then surely someone on the previous staff should have credit for Carriker, Moore, Dagunduro, and Cryer.

suh just happens to be a stunningly obvious example of a kid that only got good when taught good technique. if his on field play isn't enough proof of this, he has said as much repeatedly. all credit to blake for getting him here, but that's about it.

as to the others, i don't recall any sudden leaps in ability or technique from talented kids like carriker or moore, who were brought in by solich's crew. dagunduro and cryer were pretty good juco signings though. still disappointed that cryer got himself in trouble.

suh just happens to be a stunningly obvious example of a kid that only got good when taught good technique. if his on field play isn't enough proof of this, he has said as much repeatedly. all credit to blake for getting him here, but that's about it.

as to the others, i don't recall any sudden leaps in ability or technique from talented kids like carriker or moore, who were brought in by solich's crew. dagunduro and cryer were pretty good juco signings though. still disappointed that cryer got himself in trouble.

True. The improvement in our secondary between 2007 and 2009 also helped Suh out a lot.

True. The improvement in our secondary between 2007 and 2009 also helped Suh out a lot.

no doubt. it's difficult to separate sack numbers from the play of the defense as a whole. that said, the ability of our entire DL to suddenly use their hands effectively (both in engaging/shedding blockers and in obstructing passing lanes)over the last few years has been stunning.