Was the offense exposed tonight?

Cornhuskers

EZ-E What do you think we are going to do to gameplan against K-State on offense? What do you think is the most vulnerable part of there defense? It seem like UCF had a pretty easy time running the ball with there QB, he just kept dropping back in the pocket and kept taking off in the middle of the field and the left side of the O-Line.

To be quite honest with you, Kansas State does not scare me. Like we saw, they got all that they can handle from Central Florida. If I remember correctly the final score was something like 16-13. If a mid-major can hold Daniel Thomas and company to 16 points I am very confident that we can as well.

But to answer your question I see a gameplan very simular to the one that we had against Washington. Hat on a hat power football. I don't think that they have the depth nor the horses up front to be able to stop us. If they do "stack the box" then one move from TMart is going to get him through the second level. That is the issue when you "stack the box," you have nobody in the second level to stop a runner if he does in fact get through. For reference, see TMart's 80 yard run against Washington, he had to beat one guy to get all the way to the house. By the way, I don't think our passing game is as bad as some lead it on to be.

On defense, it may be the first time that you see us in a true blue 4-3 in my opinion. We really have to beat one guy and that is Daniel Thomas. In my opinion we may not see a back like him the rest of the year until we play Bama ;) But never underestimate Snyder, he always has a trick or two. Would not be surprized to see some WildCat formations with some different twists on them. With that said we need to stay disciplined.

Their offense is not multiple at all and KSU had no business winning last Saturday. If we come with the Washington effort, we win this game by a simular margin. This could be the first time that Bo actually unmaskes our defense.

EZ-E What do you think we are going to do to gameplan against K-State on offense? What do you think is the most vulnerable part of there defense? It seem like UCF had a pretty easy time running the ball with there QB, he just kept dropping back in the pocket and kept taking off in the middle of the field and the left side of the O-Line.

To be quite honest with you, Kansas State does not scare me. Like we saw, they got all that they can handle from Central Florida. If I remember correctly the final score was something like 16-13. If a mid-major can hold Daniel Thomas and company to 16 points I am very confident that we can as well.

But to answer your question I see a gameplan very simular to the one that we had against Washington. Hat on a hat power football. I don't think that they have the depth nor the horses up front to be able to stop us. If they do "stack the box" then one move from TMart is going to get him through the second level. That is the issue when you "stack the box," you have nobody in the second level to stop a runner if he does in fact get through. For reference, see TMart's 80 yard run against Washington, he had to beat one guy to get all the way to the house. By the way, I don't think our passing game is as bad as some lead it on to be.

On defense, it may be the first time that you see us in a true blue 4-3 in my opinion. We really have to beat one guy and that is Daniel Thomas. In my opinion we may not see a back like him the rest of the year until we play Bama ;) But never underestimate Snyder, he always has a trick or two. Would not be surprized to see some WildCat formations with some different twists on them. With that said we need to stay disciplined.

Their offense is not multiple at all and KSU had no business winning last Saturday. If we come with the Washington effort, we win this game by a simular margin. This could be the first time that Bo actually unmaskes our defense.

Couldn't agree more. I watched the KSU game last weekend and I bet there were 6-10 times where their QB hit the corner and I said, if that's TM, he's gone. KSU is undersized up front, slow on the edges and have poor LB play.

IF and that's a big IF at this point, we line up and play power football, we will be able to manhandle them all night long. It might stay close for a quarter, but we will wear them down and expose their depth and win going away.

They simply can't line up on us man on man and matchup, we'll be fine. I would say anywhere from a 14-28 point win should be in order. They are not a good football team and despite our dismal performance on Saturday, we still have the athletes/coaches/schemes to beat a weaker KSU team.

The score was 17-13 but you were close enough. I agree with what you said about the passing game,people are acting like we are going to start having a forty percent completion rate with Taylor martinez. I think that he is going to be able to keep a 55-60 completion rate throughout the year.Teams are going to overcommit to stop the run and this is going to make it alot easier for him to throw the ball. K-state should be easy as hell to score on,it should be pick your poision for K-state.I hope we just grind it out on the ground all day. I cant wait to see the MildCats bending over sucking air while we pound the ball in there face.

Thought SDSU game planned us pretty well. They had two guys watch Taylor each play. Their front seven outmuscled our line. We just kept trying to run up the gut with read option and it didnt work. Couldnt get to the outside either. The so called "multiple" offense was not multiple. The pass plays were there but when we missed those we lost out on moving the chains. Could have had a field day throwing the ball, they gave us that. So when the passing doesnt work, and the running the read doesnt work, the pressure builds up and you get what you saw.

Would have been nice to get Taylor rolling out on more pass plays from the same formations against that defense, allowing him to throw underneath, over the top or take off running. If we could have made SDSU account for the entire field, the middle would have eventually opened up. If not, you get your best player out in space where he thrives. He needed to hit a lot more passes & those timing throws they run are hit or miss, badly.

BTW, there is no "holding back" from what we will run differently. Nothing just suddenly works from paper & practices to actual games from holding back stuff. That's just maddening thinking. That will bite you in the rear end with "Gee that didnt work.. ok what now?" results.

The coaches, both offense and defense, were convinced they could win Saturday's game by running no more than 6 offensive plays and doing nothing on defense other than line up in the base D.

We WILL NOT see Saturday's gameplan again this year, I'm convinced of that.

We may not see the same gameplan --- but those executing the gameplan will be constant. At QB it has already been established that Zac Lee is not in the picture. So he is out. It has already been established that Cody Green cannot pass well enough to play and his running is also somewhat suspect (fast and, if running through a gap with three strides under him straight line he is great -- but to follow blockers? no. To fake anyone out? no. Create where there is little room? no. Running up the back of a blocker? yes). We have hung our hat on Taylor Martinez. He has shown great running ability. As a passer.... poor field vision. Accuracy? Suspect. Ability to stretch the field through the air? No evidence that he can --- and suggestions that he cannot.

Has the offense been exposed? Sure it has. Shut down the run and NU will produce very, very few points. People will stack the line of scrimmage and force us to pass. If they can slow down the run and we are forced to pass, NU is in trouble.

The defense has been exposed all season --- to the run. Exposed in this way --- the weak teams we played could not expose the run overly... but they were successful enough to suggest that a B12 team that runs well may just gash NU. A power line with big backs and the ability to run between the tackles is a team that NU will really struggle with.

The combination of potential susceptibility to giving up running yards in conjunction with our inability to move the ball offensively apart from running is a bad combo.

All the great enthusiasm is based upon games against glorified High School teams and Washington --- not a top 50 team in the crowd. Right now, NU has shown really nothing yet to warrant all the acolades. I'd love for us to be a legit top 10 team. Only time will tell whether we really are. There is enough to suggest that, perhaps we are not. Then again... maybe, as some suggest... we are holding back. I hope so!