ACLU- the Anti Christian Liberties Union

***snip***

If I ever have kids, I'm gonna go to the ACLU and request that they sue public schools so that they don't teach of Muslim, Islam, Bhuddism, Taoism, etc.

What a disgrace.

74Hunter . . . I hope this doesn't interfere with your "The ACLU only attacks Christians" message . . . but the ACLU is currently suing a school that is promoting a Muslim message. Again, don't let this change your opinion.

My link

An interesting development in the lawsuit filed by the ACLU of Minnesota against the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, a Muslim charter school that they say is violating the Establishment Clause by going beyond accommodating Islamic beliefs into endorsing them. The ACLU wants to depose employees of the school but those employees had to sign a confidentiality agreement and they were afraid they would end up being punished by the school if they said anything.

The federal court has granted those employees protection against any such punishment, essentially voiding the confidentiality agreement. That is the right result, of course. If a confidentiality agreement could overcome a subpoena, it would be nearly impossible to get testimony in a lot of cases.

The truth about the separation of church and state has been so misunderstood. It was based off of churches like the Anglican Church who persecuted other denominations like Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians. It had nothing to do with praying or talking about God in public/govt buildings. The purpose of the legislation was to ensure that the government would never again force citizens to attend a state-controlled church such as happened in Virginia. I am confident that James Madison is disappointed by the modern interpretation of his legislation

The truth about the separation of church and state has been so misunderstood. It was based off of churches like the Anglican Church who persecuted other denominations like Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians. It had nothing to do with praying or talking about God in public/govt buildings. The purpose of the legislation was to ensure that the government would never again force citizens to attend a state-controlled church such as happened in Virginia. I am confident that James Madison is disappointed by the modern interpretation of his legislation

I doubt Jefferson is disappointed . . .

Edit: Madison also wrote about "total separation between church and state." Somehow, I think he'd approve.

• 2 weeks later...

More pro-Christianity bias from the ACLU.

Catholics, Rosaries and the ACLU

Posted on: October 20, 2010 9:32 AM, by Ed Brayton

Here's an unusual situation in Colorado Springs, where the local schools have banned the wearing of a rosary by students because gangs have adopted the rosary as a symbol of membership. The Catholic Church says it's okay with the ban, but the ACLU is opposed to it. Obviously the Catholic Church is trying to "remove religion from the public square."

link

That's not an example of pro-Christian bias. That's an example of the ACLU advocating something contrary to the wishes of the church. How are you reading that as pro-Christian? :dunno

It was said in jest. The ACLU is advocating on behalf of the students' rights to display Christian symbols. They aren't doing so because it irks the church . . . they are doing so to protect the individual rights of the students. It shows how incorrect the OP was about the ACLU having an anti-Christian bias.