Michigan Defense, Unhappy USC tailback

Link

t1_carr_getty.jpg

Hail to the changes

Michigan D will have new look for Irish

BIG10

Remember the praise Michigan coach Lloyd Carr was dishing out about his defense, despite surrendering 411 yards in last Saturday's 33-17 win over Northern Illinois? Well, a look at the game film changed that. Or maybe he caught a glimpse of those 502 yards Notre Dame piled on Pitt.

"We're just not where we need to be," Carr told The Detroit News. "We need to play harder, and we need to play more physical. That is our intent.

"So there are going to be some changes in the lineup because we're not going to sit and watch that type of effort. We need to play harder, we need to play tougher."

Carr won't discuss the changes, but senior nose tackle Gabe Watson, who has started 12 consecutive games, may be benched in favor of redshirt freshman Will Johnson.

The Wolverines have allowed 400 or more yards in each of the past five games.

Pac-10

Trouble in paradise, say it ain't so?

That 63-17 shellacking Southern Cal handed Hawaii wasn't all fun and games for LenDale White, who felt he took a back seat to Heisman-hopeful Reggie Bush.

White, the Trojans' leading rusher the past two years, carried the ball twice in the first half Saturday, and a total of 13 times. He finished with 69 yards, while Bush ran 12 times for 86 yards and a touchdown.

"That's what happens when you've got the Heisman Trophy tailback on the team," White told the L.A. Times after the game. "I don't worry about it. I don't talk to Pete [Carroll] and I don't talk to [running backs coach Todd McNair] about my carries ever.

"I have no clue at all what's going on. You've got Bush on the team and that's what happens."

Tuesday, White tried to downplay his postgame rant, saying "I was never mad. Let's get that clear -- there was nothing wrong. I don't dislike Reggie, I don't' dislike the coaches. I love 'SC."

But let's face it, White is the Trojans' version of James Worthy. He's their Horace Grant. He's their Nate Dogg. Those guys are always solid. They always bring it, but we all know whose names are on the marquee. White's got the talent, but as long as Bush and Matt Leinart are at USC, he will play a supporting role. Besides, what's wrong with being "the guy behind the guy behind the guy" on this team?

SEC

D.J. Shockley is enjoying Steve Spurrier's praise, but he's keen to the Evil Genius head games.

Spurrier, whose Gamecocks travel to Athens on Saturday, said Shockely was a legitimate Heisman candidate after he threw for 289 yards and tied a Bulldogs' record with five touchdown passes in the win over Boise State. Shockley's not buying it.

"I think it's one of those mental things," Shockely told the Athens Banner Hearld. "He's trying to rattle my brain a little bit and have me thinking I'm better than what I am."

Spurrier may be wise to get in D.J.'s head., because Georgia fans are calling for a little redemption. The last time Spurrier (11-1 against the Dawgs) came to UGA, the Florida coach left with a 52-17 win. He's the only coach to hang 50 on Georgia at Sanford Stadium.

But he's not concerned.

"I think they dislike Florida, to tell you the truth, a lot more than me ...," Spurrier told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "A few fans might want to yell some insults at me which is fine. I've heard it all before. Hurl insults, just don't hurl bottles, and I'll be fine."

heard it all before. Hurl insults, just don't hurl bottles, and I'll be fine."

At least he's not playing in Norman and won't have to worry about oranges flying at him

I wonder how he would feel after being called a f*cking hillbilly. :blink:

:rollin

I'm starting to almost like Spurrier....almost. ;)

IRISH!

-ps Nameless...love the TZilla sig. :)

heard it all before. Hurl insults, just don't hurl bottles, and I'll be fine."

At least he's not playing in Norman and won't have to worry about oranges flying at him

I wonder how he would feel after being called a f*cking hillbilly. :blink:

:rollin

I'm starting to almost like Spurrier....almost. ;)

IRISH!

-ps Nameless...love the TZilla sig. :)

Haha irish, guess i am not the only one to frequent that site :clap