NEBRASKA FOOTBALL: Private Stock

NE Statepaper

NEBRASKA FOOTBALL: Private Stock

Commentary: Bo knows the Texas stakes - but he'll keep it between him and his team

by Samuel McKewon

October 12, 2010

There are moments when Bo Pelini's stubbornness is a thing to behold, a sublime act of audacity, an understated-yet-unmistakable demonstration of will.

So it's the Tuesday before the Longhorns roll into town and it's about the 12th iteration of the “Texas question” that, thus far, Bo's volleyed back to its respective interviewers like Edberg in Montreal. But this particular TV reporter wants to put a button on the UT game. He wants to frame it, underline it twice and highlight like a gameday play chart coaches stuff in their khakis.

So he asks Bo to step out of his Bo-dom, and look at the emotional stakes from the state's perspective. How Nebraska kids have waited through braces, puberty and their first trip to second base for a win over Texas. How wills have been drawn up and revised 27 times in the 10½ years since NU last hooked the Horns.

And Bo, with his legs bouncing double-time under the table, pauses, leans back a little, and says, in a voice that's almost pleading, “I really don't know what you want me to say.”

He's not a dim guy. He's not a Philistine. Although Bo plays poker repeatedly, insisting to be oblivious to the politics of this game, oblivious to his own reaction and words after the 2009 Big 12 Championship – he is not really unplugged from the heat of this week.

There's a reason NU is staging its most significant recruiting weekend in years, rolling out the scarlet carpet for cream-of-the-crop prospects. And a reason Bo issued a request to Husker fans Tuesday to treat Texas visitors with class and respect.

Don't mistake tunnel vision in public for a lack of awareness in private.

The man is resolute with his commitment to actual privacy – not the flim-flammy kind in the NFL, where leaks drip to whichever reporters have the most Twitter followers - and his reluctance to open the curtain just a little bit during game week.

Especially this game week, when the Husker fans – you know, the ones who created that massive rainy day fund that allows for a huge expansion of the stadium and pays off the Big 12 exit withholding fee – want to feel a part of the build-up and the excitement, and like a coach who embraces the moment, rather than tersely pretending it doesn't exist.

Bo wanted no part of the big picture issues Tuesday. Much like, before the Kansas State game, he wanted no part of the “Big 12 farewell tour” coming to a Little Apple near you.

But last Wednesday night, before the Kansas State game, he showed his team a hunting video, in which a lion turned from prey to predator with startling ferocity and quickness. The parallels to NU's leaving the Big 12 were unmistakable. Every league team wants a shot at Nebraska as it heads out the door – but the Huskers will deliver the first blow, instead. And NU played like it in a 48-13 win over Kansas State.

“If you become the hunted, you're going to go down fast,” Pelini said Tuesday.

Or how he doesn't answer questions about Blackshirts until he hands them out on a Thursday, when he knows players don't talk to the media. It seems capricious and cavalier, but it's to create some special space for his defense to enjoy the in-season reward without having to burn off the joy in front of some TV camera. I'd prefer it otherwise. But I know, too, how it currently stands in Huskerville.

So if you know that about Pelini, you know this: Nebraska will prepare, “business as usual,” during the week. But probably on Friday night – and probably again Saturday before the game – Pelini will put his own button on this game.

You don't hear much about those pregame speeches anymore, but, ask players, and they tell you – they're still fairly legendary. Bo's pep talk before the 2009 Oklahoma game remains one for the books. And Pelini's reaction after the 10-3 win – standing at the northwest tunnel, arms raised in triumph to Husker crowd, head thrown back in relief – spoke to the import of that game.

Bo's keeping score and keeping track – but in private. And he now has a quarterback in Taylor Martinez to match. I asked Bo if it's odd, that his most visible player – whom reporters pester his teammates about – speaks so little for the program.

“I don't believe in anybody being the face of the program,” Pelini said. “Including me. It's a team game.”

And Husker fans are invited to the after-party.

Okay, I am beyond that ISU game. With that said however I got one question...The fumble Niles had while running down the sideline, how come the second fumble wasn't ruled down or a touchdown for that matter? It looks like he regained control then fell on his back which jarred the ball out again. He should have been ruled down since the ground cannot cause a fumble in college.