Huskers vs. Texas Tech

It was a short, exciting ride for Texas Tech last night. Unfortunately for the Red Raiders all the excitement was on the other side of the net. Kayla Banwarth had several brilliant digs last night. I've seen a lot of volleyball in my day and I was shouting "Whoa!" at some of the digs she pulled off. As awesome as she is, she gets none of the praise she deserves.

Huskers solid in sweep of Texas Tech

By TODD HENRICHS

A 10-0 start to conference play. A 17-match winning streak. Those are impressive.

But in turning in his midterm grade on Nebraska's volleyball season -- a meager ‘B' -- coach John Cook obviously didn't award any points for extra credit.

"I don't necessarily go by the scores, I go by where I think we can play," Cook said following Wednesday's win over Texas Tech. "I think this team has been sputtering along, but I think this team can really turn it up a notch in the second half."

The third-ranked Huskers made quick work of Tech, sweeping the Red Raiders 25-14, 25-15, 25-13 with a solid mix of serving, passing, attacking and defense.

Brooke Delano had 11 kills, improving on the nation's best attack percentage with a .533 night. Hannah Werth also had 11 kills and Lindsey Licht added 10 as NU hit .390 as a team.

Making her first start in three matches, Tara Mueller finished with seven kills on .375 hitting.

But it was Nebraska's serving and passing that drew the highest grades from Cook. The Huskers served six aces, three from Sydney Anderson, without a single service error. Texas Tech, meanwhile, managed one ace after Kansas State hit NU with five on Saturday.

You can probably guess where the focus was in practice early this week. Next week, it might be something else.

"For us personally as a team, winning's great," Werth said, "but we have that pride of always wanting to get better."

LINK TO FULL STORY