How Will We Handle Big Ten O-Lines

bbeerma2

Wisconsin's line averages 320 Lbs and is agile. How will our defense stand up to these power running games that exist nowhere else in the nation? It seems are are built to annihilate teams like Northwestern, Michigan State and other's. The problem is that the Iowas and Wisconsins of the Big Ten will push us all day until they get some points.

Wisconsin's line averages 320 Lbs and is agile. How will our defense stand up to these power running games that exist nowhere else in the nation? It seems are are built to annihilate teams like Northwestern, Michigan State and other's. The problem is that the Iowas and Wisconsins of the Big Ten will push us all day until they get some points.

probably so until we get some big men to block for us. different philosophy so it will take time. i just hope fans are ready for 6 or 7 losses in the first season.

Faster push and stay lower.

You will not stop Big10 rushing attacks without committing at least 8 in the box. Work on the timing and stay in lanes and attack and you'll be able to limit gains. However, most college players lack the discipline to do this which is why it's so hard to stop them. Of course if a team is one dimensional (be it because of your defense or because of their lack of a passing attack), that makes things a lot easier to defend.

probably so until we get some big men to block for us. different philosophy so it will take time. i just hope fans are ready for 6 or 7 losses in the first season.

Nebraska is too talented to end up with 6 or 7 losses. Also there are a few top notch QBs who are seniors this year in the Big 10. I can see Nebraska anywhere from 1 loss and winning the division to 4 losses and going to Florida for New Years. It will all depend on how quickly they adjust and how the rest of the teams deal with their player losses. Correct me if I am wrong - but Nebraska doesn't lose much going into next year do they? I know you lose Helu but you have Burkhead to step in and you lose a couple of receivers but that might actually be addition by subtraction.

The biggest thing that you need as Iowa showed (or rather failed to show) this weekend against Wisconsin are linebackers who can cover the quick pass out of the backfield and the crossing route. Those 4-6 yard passing routes seem to be used a lot. Use the WRs to clear out the underneath coverage and if the LBs aren't paying attention it is an easy gain.

Nebraska is too talented to end up with 6 or 7 losses. [...]

The biggest thing that you need as Iowa showed (or rather failed to show) this weekend against Wisconsin are linebackers who can cover the quick pass out of the backfield and the crossing route. Those 4-6 yard passing routes seem to be used a lot. Use the WRs to clear out the underneath coverage and if the LBs aren't paying attention it is an easy gain.

Nail on the head, right there. Also, one behemoth DT would be a good find :)

Don't worry--you'll be in the scrum from day 1. What often gets lost in all the X's and O's is that it takes quality depth to get through the conference on a regular basis. Right now, Ohio State has 3-4 starting DB's out for the season. We're short a LB, too. That's a lot of patchwork, but it's (mostly) holding up OK. Nebraska's quality of depth will be a tremendous advantage as things move into November. It's the lesser-known difference between the top tier and the bottom feeders. Rotate players, keep 'em healthy, and have quality backups ready to go.

I'm not worried about the passing game. We can cover both downfield and the intermediate routes. The real worry is going up against the type of attack UW showed in their win over Ohio State. Push them, open up holes and throw a big back right down their throats. We can handle them if they are putting most of their emphasis on the pass and outside runs. The issue is when they dedicate their attack to running between the tackles.