2011 Recruiting Class Size??

w/ Pelini's tendancy to red-shirt, low attrition (there are a few guys on the roster I was sure would be gone by now), the build-up of the walk-on program, and low number of JUCO recruits I'd say we can get used to having classes that are around 20-23. In any given year we'll give out 1-3 walk-on scholarships, and carry the equivalent of 4.5 years of classes. Lets hope we're winning enough games that we can be picky w/ those 20, because you can't afford to miss too often.

This year is the "really picky" year, right?

i don't consider this year unusually "picky". i'd say we take about 7 more (this includes heard's spot) for a total of 23 in the class (including marsh). not a particularly tight class, as it's slightly more than we'll take in a typical year. of course, we always need to be somewhat picky given scholarship limitations and our proper handling of non-contributors.

w/ Pelini's tendancy to red-shirt, low attrition (there are a few guys on the roster I was sure would be gone by now), the build-up of the walk-on program, and low number of JUCO recruits I'd say we can get used to having classes that are around 20-23. In any given year we'll give out 1-3 walk-on scholarships, and carry the equivalent of 4.5 years of classes. Lets hope we're winning enough games that we can be picky w/ those 20, because you can't afford to miss too often.

First off, kchusker_chris, I LOVE your Avatar! Very Nice!!!

The points below I have stated in another posting, thought I would repeat....

My opinion - What plays into the Number of recruits taken each year.

1. Walk-ons: As the walk-on classes continue to get back to pre-Callahan levels (20 ish) per season, there is a greater chance that a walk-on earns a scholarship.

2. As the depth improves, there is less of a need to burn redshirts. So mathematically you only need to get 17 to 18 guys over a 5 year turnover.

3. The coaches seem to be looking for a certain type of recruit = less "stars" better citizens and more intelligent.

There might be something I am missing, but these 3 things combined mean you only need to get 17 to 22 GOOD kids every year.

Of course you will have kids quit, not make it academically, injuries, leave for the NFL early.

The Big classes you see are from schools that CHURN and BURN (as I used to say when I was a stockbroker) these kids.

Get a bunch of high star guys and hope some "stick". Don't worry about their other issues - school, attitude, the "police".

Total points is not the correct way to look at how well a school does recruiting.

YOu should look at AVG stars / AVG score per recruit and does the players fill the NEED for that recruiting class.

Also, look at which recruits actual make it to the school and actually play.

GBR!!!!!

Nope, the following year we'll only lose 13 unless there's attrition, and there's a good chance that Dennard and Crick leave, and Blue is 6th year eligible possibly. It could be a very small 2012 class.

Cassidy

Dennard*

Mendoza

David

Moore

Crick*

M. Jones

Hardrick

Caputo

Hill

Kinnie

Gilleylen

Blue**

Nope, the following year we'll only lose 13 unless there's attrition, and there's a good chance that Dennard and Crick leave, and Blue is 6th year eligible possibly. It could be a very small 2012 class.

At this point I see almost no chance Crick leaves. At the beginning of the season I was leaning on him probably going - but his impact hasn't been as great as I thought it would be. If the Huskers continue to get dinged for 200 rushing yards a game...expect Crick back. The only way he goes is if he has a HUGE game Big12 Championship or if we make a BCS game and he has a HUGE game. The spotlight just isn't shining on him like it was preseason - his draft stock will be lower accordingly.

Dennard...the fact that he keeps getting overlooked for these awards that Prince is being nominated for in spades makes me think he'll be back as well. It just doesn't seem like his evaluation equals his tallent yet. He's still a newcomer. Guys like Prince & Suh came back from big time production years before they made headlines. Dennard will have similar pre-season publicity as Prince if he comes back. Why go out early when there's a possibility of a lockout and you know your stock will be 2 rounds higher next year? (that's what insurance policies are for)

I expect Matt May and Legate to pick up scholarships in their final years. 15 seniors is a fairly average class to graduate. I think we had 13 leave last year and still signed 22.

Also, another scholly that will be coming off the roster this year is Blake Lawrence. I think he would have been a senior this year. If not - next year. I think we're set up to have a decent sized 2012 class. Depending on redshirts - the 13' class could be huge. There are about 25 guys on the roster still from that class.

At this point I see almost no chance Crick leaves. At the beginning of the season I was leaning on him probably going - but his impact hasn't been as great as I thought it would be. If the Huskers continue to get dinged for 200 rushing yards a game...expect Crick back. The only way he goes is if he has a HUGE game Big12 Championship or if we make a BCS game and he has a HUGE game. The spotlight just isn't shining on him like it was preseason - his draft stock will be lower accordingly.

Dennard...the fact that he keeps getting overlooked for these awards that Prince is being nominated for in spades makes me think he'll be back as well. It just doesn't seem like his evaluation equals his tallent yet. He's still a newcomer. Guys like Prince & Suh came back from big time production years before they made headlines. Dennard will have similar pre-season publicity as Prince if he comes back. Why go out early when there's a possibility of a lockout and you know your stock will be 2 rounds higher next year? (that's what insurance policies are for)

I expect Matt May and Legate to pick up scholarships in their final years. 15 seniors is a fairly average class to graduate. I think we had 13 leave last year and still signed 22.

Also, another scholly that will be coming off the roster this year is Blake Lawrence. I think he would have been a senior this year. If not - next year. I think we're set up to have a decent sized 2012 class. Depending on redshirts - the 13' class could be huge. There are about 25 guys on the roster still from that class.

i think you put too much emphasis on the role media hype plays in draft status. i can assure you that NFL guys are well aware of both crick and dennard regardless of the media's opinion. i do agree with you though that crick should stay. he can probably get drafted right now (in the 3rd to 5th round) as a DE in a 3-4 scheme, but he needs to try to put some more good weight on and work on his technique a little more. dennard on the other hand should be a first round draft pick. if i'm advising that young man, i point him to the league. he doesn't have a great deal to gain by staying another year, particularly after this concussion reminds him how quickly he could lose his lucrative career. the only exception to this would be if there is no draft due to the lockout.

also, i'm pretty sure blake already went on a medical scholarship, meaning his scholarship already opened up and has been filled.

Dennard could probably leave early and be a late first rounder or early second, but couldn't Prince have done the same last year? Now they are talking about Prince being a top 10 draft pick. Why would you not come back and enhance your draft status. I think it's a no brainer that Crick should come back. He probably would've gone higher if he left last year compared to this year.

Dennard could probably leave early and be a late first rounder or early second, but couldn't Prince have done the same last year? Now they are talking about Prince being a top 10 draft pick. Why would you not come back and enhance your draft status. I think it's a no brainer that Crick should come back. He probably would've gone higher if he left last year compared to this year.

i'm not so sure prince did enhance his draft status by returning. he improved mel kiper's opinion of him, but mel kiper doesn't pay the bills (or make the picks). also, i think dennard is already an upper first round pick if he leaves early. the guy has played lights out and has top end athleticism. what does he gain if he returns? he's not going to get significantly bigger or faster. his technique is already pretty darned good. yes, increased hype could make him slightly more desired by a few of the idiot GMs, but most of them do their homework and don't need the media to tell them which athletes are most likely to succeed at the next level.

i'd love to see dennard playing for us next year as much as the next guy. i'm just not so sure it's the right choice for him (again, assuming there isn't a work stoppage).