Big10 vs Big12

(I know it's early) but we're sitting at #10 after the CJ commitment and this is shaping up to be one of our best recruiting classes in a long time...but we're still a mile behind Texas and a ways behind Oklahoma. That's how it always is, and always will be. Bo and Co. can balance that out with coaching and player development as we've seen, but in the Big12 we've always kind of started a step behind those 2. Throw in Tech at #16, Okie Lite at #20 and the Big12 has 5 classes currently sitting in the top 20.

The Big10 on the other hand has Ohio St barely hovering above us (give Sade his 3rd star and that gap will almost close) - and then way down at #25 is Michigan St. Last year Penn St. was the highest at #12. The gap between the top couple of teams in the Big10, and the bottom 5 is huge. Based on average stars, usually 6 or so teams in the Big12 are above 3.0. Only 3 or so in the Big10 each year, and it's not consistent. You'll see Iowa, Penn St, Michigan St, etc pop up there one year, then have really mediocre classes the next couple of years. Heck, even Minnesota landed in the top 3 a couple years ago (and look where that's gotten them).

Ohio St. usually has solid classes, but they definately aren't like Texas. From a recruiting standpoint I see us being on a MUCH more even footing. We should always have the top 2 or 3 class in the conference, and the classes that are above us will be marginally better at best. We'll be consistent, and bring speed to a conference that traditionally lacks it. From a tallent/recruiting standpoint I'm liking this move more and more with each commitment.

This is the one thing that could hurt is in terms of recruiting. I think we still land texas and maybe 1 or 2 combined kids from the south, but people hate playing in big ten country from southern schools it seems like, so this may affect us. If they keep the level of recruiting up we will be in great shape. Look at penn state, they only have 4 recruits at this point! I think the average competition of the big ten is lower than that of the big twelve, so we will be just fine.

This is the one thing that could hurt is in terms of recruiting. I think we still land texas and maybe 1 or 2 combined kids from the south, but people hate playing in big ten country from southern schools it seems like, so this may affect us. If they keep the level of recruiting up we will be in great shape. Look at penn state, they only have 4 recruits at this point! I think the average competition of the big ten is lower than that of the big twelve, so we will be just fine.

The Big 10 is known for recruiting Florida pretty hard, and having success.

Some other thoughts that I thought fit into this topic ... I follow our recruiting daily. One of the themes I've been reading lately is how we need to "ramp up" recruiting as we head into the Big 10. I'm puzzled by that comment.

It seems that when we were in the Big 12, we always seemed to talk about how the Big 12 was better and stronger then the Big 10. Now, as we move into the Big 10 folks seem to say that we need to ramp up recruiting ... like we are heading into a tougher conference. I'm not saying that is true for me or that's my opinion ... it just seems puzzling.

For me, each conference has strengths and weaknesses year in and out. Personally, the Big 12 is off this year a bit.

I think the Big 10 gets a boast next year ... we are there ... the Lil' 10 also takes a hit ... we aren't there.

Any thoughts others have on my post ... always enjoy getting other viewpoints.

SheepdogMark

Some other thoughts that I thought fit into this topic ... I follow our recruiting daily. One of the themes I've been reading lately is how we need to "ramp up" recruiting as we head into the Big 10. I'm puzzled by that comment.

It seems that when we were in the Big 12, we always seemed to talk about how the Big 12 was better and stronger then the Big 10. Now, as we move into the Big 10 folks seem to say that we need to ramp up recruiting ... like we are heading into a tougher conference. I'm not saying that is true for me or that's my opinion ... it just seems puzzling.

For me, each conference has strengths and weaknesses year in and out. Personally, the Big 12 is off this year a bit.

I think the Big 10 gets a boast next year ... we are there ... the Lil' 10 also takes a hit ... we aren't there.

Any thoughts others have on my post ... always enjoy getting other viewpoints.

SheepdogMark

In the last couple of years we have seen teams like Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State make a move forward. But Ohio State and Wisconsin have stayed pretty consistent. Penn State might be down this year but they are so young. But with those teams going from middle of the pack to top 15 teams is what made me think that this conference will be tougher.

Until recently the Big10 has been down which might be why their classes have been less than spectacular. Class rank does correlate to winning. It seems we're coming in at a time when they are making a resurgence, but all conference strength is cyclical. The Big12 is on it's way down, as is the SEC IMO. The Big10 seems to be a lot deeper than the Big12. This year's B12 schedule for NE is a joke. With the exception of Missouri - each game should be (have been) an easy win. Our only "test" was maybe Okie Lite. Like the Big10 teams, we always seem to trip up on a game we should have won (Texas) so we should fit right in up north.

Also: I didn't mean for this to be a "can't recruit in the south" topic. It's more a comparison to our current standings in regards to recruiting within the Big12, vs our future standings in the Big10. I don't see us needing to catch up from day 1 when it comes to tallent anymore. If we had remained in the Big12 (even w/ our recent recruiting) we'd still always be a step behind Texas on that day when our freshman classes show up for the 1st practice.

I have always said that no team gets the talent that Texas does and constantly under-performs. One National Title in like 40 some years. Look at Meyer at Florida, Saban at LSU/Alabama, or Stoops at Oklahoma and what they've done in far less time than Brown. Talent means nothing if you can't develop it or work with it. If talent was all that mattered, Texas wouldn't have lost to Iowa State and Baylor, probably the two worst recruiting classes consistently in the Big 12. We'll always be behind Texas in terms of stars, but that in no way means we can't compete. Besides, those stars are ratings from high school. A lot changes after kids grow bigger, older, and get developed/not developed in college. And there's always those examples like Baylor and Texas, Boise State over an Adrian Peterson led Oklahoma, and Utah over Alabama. Coaching, as we have seen, is more important, and I am very happy with our coaching staff.

I have always said that no team gets the talent that Texas does and constantly under-performs. One National Title in like 40 some years. Look at Meyer at Florida, Saban at LSU/Alabama, or Stoops at Oklahoma and what they've done in far less time than Brown. Talent means nothing if you can't develop it or work with it. If talent was all that mattered, Texas wouldn't have lost to Iowa State and Baylor, probably the two worst recruiting classes consistently in the Big 12. We'll always be behind Texas in terms of stars, but that in no way means we can't compete. Besides, those stars are ratings from high school. A lot changes after kids grow bigger, older, and get developed/not developed in college. And there's always those examples like Baylor and Texas, Boise State over an Adrian Peterson led Oklahoma, and Utah over Alabama. Coaching, as we have seen, is more important, and I am very happy with our coaching staff.

:facepalm: sigh...nevermind

Players in Texas are marketed better therefore have higher stars, ut get most of the top kids from Texas therefore they have yearly top classes. Alot of these recruiting agencies don't put as much time into properly evaluating Midwest kids and or miss other good prospects all together.

This is why the b10 has had lower classes for the majority but still has had more success than the b12 recently