Here comes the Longhorn Sports Network

Husker Runner

Is anybody surprised?

AUSTIN, Texas — University of Texas regents are backing the creation of a so-called Longhorn network of cable sports programming.

The regents met behind closed doors Wednesday with school President William Powers Jr. to discuss the plan. The regents' academic affairs committee then publicly voted to allow Powers to sign a deal.

ESPN has confirmed it is in talks with Texas to distribute the proposed network. ESPN and school officials have declined to discuss how much it would be worth or other details.

Fox Sports, believed to be interested in the network, declined comment Wednesday.

If I remember hearing right, there would be like 1-2 football games a year that can be televised live on this proposed network? Does this type of deal lead anyone else to believe (if the limited # of live football games is fact) that Texa$ might be headed for Independent status? I don't see ESPN paying that much for volleyball, baseball, swimming, cheerleader tryouts, etc unless they are guaranteeing a vast majority of live football games is included sometime down the line.

A couple of things.....

1. I could really see them headed to Independent status

2. IF the Husker Sports Network would have ever been launched, I would have estimated a number around $2 million a year, considering Deloss Dodds projected Texas would get $3 Million a year.

3. With this launch the rich get richer in the Texas 10. Iowa State/KSU/Mizzou are going to be even left even further in the dust.

4. It will become harder for another conference to pick up Texas in the future with this baggage on their own network. Texas people believe that having their own network makes them more attractive.....not sure how that works------especially with the Pac-10 exploring their own network. Man I can't wait to watch Okie State vs. Texas women's soccer at 3 pm on a Wednesday! Can you say ratings record! There just won't be enough live programming. Remember BYU has their own network and no one has heard of it.

A couple of things.....

2. IF the Husker Sports Network would have ever been launched, I would have estimated a number around $2 million a year, considering Deloss Dodds projected Texas would get $3 Million a year.

3. With this launch the rich get richer in the Texas 10. Iowa State/KSU/Mizzou are going to be even left even further in the dust.

4. It will become harder for another conference to pick up Texas in the future with this baggage on their own network. Texas people believe that having their own network makes them more attractive.....not sure how that works------especially with the Pac-10 exploring their own network. Man I can't wait to watch Okie State vs. Texas women's soccer at 3 pm on a Wednesday! Can you say ratings record! There just won't be enough live programming. Remember BYU has their own network and no one has heard of it.

Has the BYU network launched? I heard something about it but whatever. I guess Texas would be a little better off because they win football games, well that is, until this year. I 100% agree with you on the going independent, last I saw the were estimating 20 million a year from B12 TV, I dont think they see anywhere near that with the troubles they are having. Regardless of that, I think the build a war chest for 3-5 years, get football back on its feet and tell the B12 to shove it. I dont know about them getting picked u anwhere else, Pac10 wants nothing to do with schools having their own network, and I dont know about the SEC. I'm sure they will try to toss there weight around, but honestly they would be able to make a good run on ther own.

A couple of things.....

Has the BYU network launched? I heard something about it but whatever. I guess Texas would be a little better off because they win football games, well that is, until this year. I 100% agree with you on the going independent, last I saw the were estimating 20 million a year from B12 TV, I dont think they see anywhere near that with the troubles they are having. Regardless of that, I think the build a war chest for 3-5 years, get football back on its feet and tell the B12 to shove it. I dont know about them getting picked u anwhere else, Pac10 wants nothing to do with schools having their own network, and I dont know about the SEC. I'm sure they will try to toss there weight around, but honestly they would be able to make a good run on ther own.

Yes, in 2000. Channel isn't used much for sports. The fact that most people do not know that it exists, is proof to its popularity.

A couple of things.....

And these guys are giving us a hard time for leaving.....SUCKERS!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things.....

Yes, in 2000. Channel isn't used much for sports. The fact that most people do not know that it exists, is proof to its popularity.

Yes I just got digital cable. I think it is grouped with religious programming in the mid 100s. Sure sounds like more schools are going to try to retain ownership over their programming.