Eric Hagg

n.e.husker

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_a367d788-edf2-11df-892f-001cc4c03286.html

Eric Hagg hasn't produced eye-popping statistics this season.

Nebraska's standout nickel back is 10th on the team with 29 tackles and has broken up three passes.

He's a shining example that stats can be misleading.

"I always mention the Tim Tebow effect," Husker secondary coach Marvin Sanders said. "For a college football player, I have a hard time seeing a person more valuable, in this case on the defensive side, than what Eric has been for us."

Hagg, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior, typically is assigned to cover the slot receiver. He does such a thorough job that you don't see a lot of passes thrown his way.

"He's kind of like that corner out on the island that nobody ever throws at," Sanders said.

Hagg's prowess in that regard is crucial in the Nebraska defense's overall scheme. The Huskers (8-1, 4-1 Big 12) rank 23rd nationally in total defense and sixth in pass defense.

"Think of it this way," Sanders said. "You take a corner like Darrelle Revis (of the NFL New York Jets). He can take away half of the field. With Hagg, you have a guy who can take away the middle of the field. That's pretty big."

Hagg's speed is such that he doesn't require much help from safeties on deep routes. What's more, Hagg handles the underneath routes very well. Bottom line, he could play corner, safety or linebacker. Few players are that versatile.

"That slot receiver may make the catch sometimes running across the field, but he's going to go down because Eric will get him," Sanders said. "So that goes as a tackle. But it doesn't take into account that nobody else on the defense had to do anything except Eric Hagg."

Sanders noted that in 2008, in the early stages of the Nebraska defense's development under Bo Pelini, the Huskers struggled with coverage of the slot receiver "because that guy could run away from most people, so we'd try to switch it with a linebacker."

Hagg doesn't need such help.

"Nobody notices that type of stuff," Sanders said.

When it comes time to determine All-Big 12 teams, Sanders hopes folks don't base their choices on stats (although Hagg does have a team-leading four interceptions).

Nebraska senior cornerback Prince Amukamara is a no-brainer for first-team All-Big 12. Sanders also places Hagg in that realm.

"Those two might be two of the best in the country," Sanders said. "Up to this point, I have a hard time seeing two better defensive backs. I mean, there are good defensive backs out there, but I'd take those two any day."

Haggs been a stud all year and im glad to see his name getting some love. Will hate to see him go, but hopefully the youngins have been paying attention to this guy.