More fuzzy logic "proving" how dominant the SEC is

JTrain

According to Gary Danielson, the SEC is the most dominant conference because Ole Miss (4-6) is playing tight with top ten LSU. He says because of this, a one-loss SEC team should go to the national title.

So, following this logic:

The Pac-10 is the most dominant conference because Cal almost beat top ten Oregon

The Big 12 is the most dominant conference because Texas beat top ten Nebraska

The Pac-10 (again) is the most dominant conference because ASU almost beat top ten Stanford

The MWC is the most dominant conference because SDSU almost beat top ten TCU

The Big 10 is the most dominant conference because Purdue almost beat top ten Michigan St.

But somehow those games usually are portrayed as the top team being weaker than expected. Fact is, conference games really don't show anything about that conference (outside of how crisp the teams look). If the team with the worst record plays better than expected, it raises their value the same amount it devalues the better team. Net change is zero. The only way to compare conferences is with non-conference games, and actually watching the teams to determine how talented, well-coached, etc. they are. The result of a conference game doesn't give you any valuable information in that regard.

I have never liked the "best conference discussion". People will always give their own view point, however when you dig deeper you find that more times than not, they will pick the conference their team is a part of.

I believe the SEC is overated. I think it is a case where the past is better than the on field production (similar to how certain teams ----Notre Dame----used to always show up in the preseason top 25 no matter how bad they looked the last year or the the coming year. The SEC has been dominant, I will give them that but and see that they still have plenty of bottom dewellers: Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Tenn, UGA, and Florida is nothing to get all hot and bothered about. That's 5-6 teams right there! That's almost half of the SEC.

The Pac-10 is really a class of Two+2. Oregon and Stanford and than Arizona and USC looking in.

The Big XII-You decide?

The Big 10-I believe to be the best conference. Three teams with one loss.

Big East-Who cares

Acc-VA Tech all the way

I guess in the end it comes to how do you evaluate a conference? A lot of ok teams in the middle? Couple of teams at the top of the Top 25? Out of conference games? Bowl Games?

Maybe the SEC is the best :dunno

SEC teams will never admit their conference isn't "the best". They aren't objective. And when you try to talk to them about any other conference they usually don't have a clue but they just know that their conference is the best. The Big Ten is the best conference this year. You will never convince me that the SEC is the best because they don't have to play in cold weather. They don't have to deal with below freezing temps and rain and snow and sleet during games. If they had to play in any kind of that weather they wouldn't play nearly as well. Just my take though. :D