State of Husker Football

robsker

So... as we head into the Big 10 next year there are certain things know from this season..

The good part....

the Blackshirts will still be very good (especially if Dennard & Crick stay)--- L.David, B. Steinkuhler, C. Meredith, A. Cassidy, C. Osborne, PJ Smith, E. Martin... and add Fisher... so long as Dennard and Crick stay, NU will have one of the top 3 defenses in the B12.

The maybe not so good part... Special teams? How will we replace Kunalic and especially Henery? We cannot possibly be as good next year in this realm... but hopefully we'll be ok

The bad part...

poor offensive coaching and game plan. An embarrassing head coach whose demeanor and lack of professionalism has, and will even more so, continue to degrade the Huskers reputation nationally (the reason being the enhanced exposure we will get next year).Undisciplined team in general... penalties, lack of consistent preparation for games, turnovers, poor offensive line fundamentals, well below average WR'ers, seemingly an unknown at QB. Literally an unknown at QB. Martinez is looking less likely to be the man in the future than ever before (that may change, who knows). Cody Green is not a D1 QB. So... the offense... is likely to be a bottom dweller relative to the rest of the B10 (somewhere around what 8,9,10 or so in the conference. We will miss Helu a great deal --- and if TMart is out of the picture (who knows? that is possible... maybe probable) big play potential will be missing.

Overall... things do not look really good or... really bad. I'd guess based on now... and, of course, many things could change before we start next year... but NU looks like a mid-level B10 team (not a top 4 in conference but middle/upper middle of the next 4) going into next year. If things go well, NU could be a fringe top 25 team, perhaps?

In any event, next year our record will not be nearly as good as it is this year. I'd think that eight wins next year would be good.

We, as Husker fans, need to be realistic... the people on this board, generally, project onto our team what they desire and wish for the team to be. We are... this year... right now ranked at #16... and I think that there are more than 16 teams that are better than us. Does anybody really see NU as a BCS-caliber team? Come now... really?!

Lets just root for these guys and hope for the best. The state of NU football is that we are a fringe top 25 program... no more.. no less. The people on this board are manic --- one week NU is invincible the next week NU is horrible. No need to ride the roller-coaster if you see NU for what it is and adjust expectations accordingly. We have a solid program --- not a national contender.. but a solid program. Don't expect more than 8 wins next year... or expect that we win out this year.

So... as we head into the Big 10 next year there are certain things know from this season..

The good part....

the Blackshirts will still be very good (especially if Dennard & Crick stay)--- L.David, B. Steinkuhler, C. Meredith, A. Cassidy, C. Osborne, PJ Smith, E. Martin... and add Fisher... so long as Dennard and Crick stay, NU will have one of the top 3 defenses in the B12.

The maybe not so good part... Special teams? How will we replace Kunalic and especially Henery? We cannot possibly be as good next year in this realm... but hopefully we'll be ok

The bad part...

poor offensive coaching and game plan. An embarrassing head coach whose demeanor and lack of professionalism has, and will even more so, continue to degrade the Huskers reputation nationally (the reason being the enhanced exposure we will get next year).Undisciplined team in general... penalties, lack of consistent preparation for games, turnovers, poor offensive line fundamentals, well below average WR'ers, seemingly an unknown at QB. Literally an unknown at QB. Martinez is looking less likely to be the man in the future than ever before (that may change, who knows). Cody Green is not a D1 QB. So... the offense... is likely to be a bottom dweller relative to the rest of the B10 (somewhere around what 8,9,10 or so in the conference. We will miss Helu a great deal --- and if TMart is out of the picture (who knows? that is possible... maybe probable) big play potential will be missing.

Overall... things do not look really good or... really bad. I'd guess based on now... and, of course, many things could change before we start next year... but NU looks like a mid-level B10 team (not a top 4 in conference but middle/upper middle of the next 4) going into next year. If things go well, NU could be a fringe top 25 team, perhaps?

In any event, next year our record will not be nearly as good as it is this year. I'd think that eight wins next year would be good.

We, as Husker fans, need to be realistic... the people on this board, generally, project onto our team what they desire and wish for the team to be. We are... this year... right now ranked at #16... and I think that there are more than 16 teams that are better than us. Does anybody really see NU as a BCS-caliber team? Come now... really?!

Lets just root for these guys and hope for the best. The state of NU football is that we are a fringe top 25 program... no more.. no less. The people on this board are manic --- one week NU is invincible the next week NU is horrible. No need to ride the roller-coaster if you see NU for what it is and adjust expectations accordingly. We have a solid program --- not a national contender.. but a solid program. Don't expect more than 8 wins next year... or expect that we win out this year.

I think you're giving way too much credit to the Big Ten. With us joining the Big Ten, we are finally giving them credibility. For the last 5 years, only Ohio State has been 1) relevant and 2)consistent.

Yes, it will be difficult to move to a new and navigate the very difficult schedule that we have next year, but 8 wins just seems too low with the returners we have coming back.

I am confident we open the season in the top 10 and we will finish in the top 10 next year. The defense will be strong and the offense can only improve with or without Martinez. I would say it has improved from last year, which is not saying much. Special teams will be a small challenge, but we have had some very good kickers in the last 20 years and hopefully that continues. We have suffered a couple of losses, but at least we are not getting blown out. The future looks bright. Keep the faith

As realistic as your "State of Husker Football" address seems, I think we ARE better than several of the teams ranked ahead of us. After reading this address, I'd say the negativity of the aTm game has seaped into several of the points you made. Now don't take this as me bashing you b/c that's not what this is. I'm just saying I think your "realistic" expectations have been slightly altered by a game that could very well be an aberration to our true identity.

I do agree with the feeling that it seems we're heading back downhill in spite of being 9-2. It definitely feels like Bo's lack of self-control on the sideline is negatively affecting the focus of our coaches and players during games. But, I fully expect our entire coaching staff and our players to unite after having such a meltdown game. That's why I think the aTm game could prove to be the aberration.

I had some hope that Coach Watson would figure it out. He has not. Bo and the defense have been under intense pressure since Bo took the job. Not only does the D have to stuff foes, it must score too. Watson simply can't figure it out. Why we kept him around is beyond me. I know that TO wanted some coaching consistency, but Watson is just consistently bad. Make no mistake about it, Bo and his frustration with the offense is boiling over on the sidelines. The catalyst might be a bad call by the officials, but I think Bo paces the sideline ready to pop at the slightest problem. Look, I can't blame him. That would SUCK. If I were him, I would be getting tired of trying to carry the whole thing on my back with no help on the scoreboard.

I think we improve on the Defensive side of the ball alot next year. I dont think we will have to run this 4-1-6 or 4-2-5 defense every week. We will be able to play a much more sound style of defense..

And as long as we keep Bo we will be fine.

We lose Prince Amukamara --- likely a 1st rounder. Hagg... another NFL cannot miss player. Gomes... another NFL guy. Three in the secondary... all excellent and all gone. It is inconceivable that the secondary will be improved (and unlikely that it is nearly as good) in view of losing 3 guys to the NFL! Now... if Dennard goes pro early... the dropoff with 4 NFL guys leaving the secondary will be staggering.

Pierre Allan... a good player, gone. Thenarse, gone. West gone. (Sure Thenars and West had some issues... but both were contributors and both added depth... and they leave too.) And... if Crick leaves... wow... not good.

So, my friend... I concede (as stated in my original post) that the Blackshirts will still be good --- a top 3 or so in the B10 --- but better than this year?! Not possible --- you cannot lose that amount of talent and improve.

As realistic as your "State of Husker Football" address seems, I think we ARE better than several of the teams ranked ahead of us. After reading this address, I'd say the negativity of the aTm game has seaped into several of the points you made. Now don't take this as me bashing you b/c that's not what this is. I'm just saying I think your "realistic" expectations have been slightly altered by a game that could very well be an aberration to our true identity.

I do agree with the feeling that it seems we're heading back downhill in spite of being 9-2. It definitely feels like Bo's lack of self-control on the sideline is negatively affecting the focus of our coaches and players during games. But, I fully expect our entire coaching staff and our players to unite after having such a meltdown game. That's why I think the aTm game could prove to be the aberration.

Thanks. I hope your assessment is correct.

Regarding the game w/ A&M... I did not get a chance to see it or listen (surprise B-day for son-in-law took me away)... so that game did not effect my assessment --- except what I am reading about Martinez... the notion being that there are issues regarding him.

I had some hope that Coach Watson would figure it out. He has not. Bo and the defense have been under intense pressure since Bo took the job. Not only does the D have to stuff foes, it must score too. Watson simply can't figure it out. Why we kept him around is beyond me. I know that TO wanted some coaching consistency, but Watson is just consistently bad. Make no mistake about it, Bo and his frustration with the offense is boiling over on the sidelines. The catalyst might be a bad call by the officials, but I think Bo paces the sideline ready to pop at the slightest problem. Look, I can't blame him. That would SUCK. If I were him, I would be getting tired of trying to carry the whole thing on my back with no help on the scoreboard.

I think there's credence to what you've said here. To further specify where I think this frustration lies, I'd say (based on Pelini's post-game interview) he's just sick and tired of the offense's lack of discipline and execution, not necessarily the play-calling or the game plan. Honestly I think Bo fully supports the game plan Watson puts together, and the type of offense he runs. So, I think Watson is probably still not as low on the totem pole as Cotton or Gilmore. I'd say those two would be most likely to go before Watson.

Espy. I understand what you mean about the staff. However, a situation must be created where the offensive staff is accountable to the coordinator. That the coordinator has some power and sway. If that situation doesn't exist, it should be brought into existence. Then, because of the coordinator's guidance of the offensive unit, he would be held rightly accountable for on the field performance. Maybe this trouble on offense comes right down to those weird titles we gave people at the beginning of all this. Are there position coaches who are getting in the way of Wats imposing the discipline necessary to clean up the mistakes that have plagued us? What is Cotton, the associate head coach or something like that? Bust these guys down to position coaches. Give Wats the authority and therefor the accountability. Then, if it doesn't improve, excuses won't be necessary. We will just kick Wats out and bring in somebody else to do the job.

I think we improve on the Defensive side of the ball alot next year. I dont think we will have to run this 4-1-6 or 4-2-5 defense every week. We will be able to play a much more sound style of defense..

And as long as we keep Bo we will be fine.

We lose Prince Amukamara --- likely a 1st rounder. Hagg... another NFL cannot miss player. Gomes... another NFL guy. Three in the secondary... all excellent and all gone. It is inconceivable that the secondary will be improved (and unlikely that it is nearly as good) in view of losing 3 guys to the NFL! Now... if Dennard goes pro early... the dropoff with 4 NFL guys leaving the secondary will be staggering.

Pierre Allan... a good player, gone. Thenarse, gone. West gone. (Sure Thenars and West had some issues... but both were contributors and both added depth... and they leave too.) And... if Crick leaves... wow... not good.

So, my friend... I concede (as stated in my original post) that the Blackshirts will still be good --- a top 3 or so in the B10 --- but better than this year?! Not possible --- you cannot lose that amount of talent and improve.

How many players did we lose in the secondary last year? Asante,and another saftey that was good, We lost Suh and who else. I think we will be fine. And I dont think Dennard or Crick leave early for the draft.