Some Statistical Calculations

HUSKERCR

Paired T-Test results:

Penalties called on a team while playing Nebraska compared with Average Penalties called (excluding their game against NU).

Paired differences:

Mean -3.337, Std Dev 3.126, STd Error Mean 1.187. 95% conf. Interval of the difference: Lower -6.228; upper -.44531.

t=-2.824, df 6, sig (2-tailed) .030

That's not a super duper significance level (3% that we could see this difference between their average number of penalties and the number of penalties called on the teams that nebraska played based on random chance).

I'd like to do some more looking around before jumping to conclusions-- this is a small sample and it's not ultra meaningful that I found these results, but there they are. What I'd like to do is find out which games that Berks (is that his name?) led, not just for NU but all the games that he's officiated this year. Are they all as lopsided as the ones he's called for NU? Does one team normally leave with far fewer penalties than average? Remember that I crunched these numbers taking all games into account, not just the ones that Berks has officiated.

Because I'm the worst procrastinator in the world (meaning that I don't find very "fun" things to do while I'm putting other work off), I just finished keying in each team's # of penalties in each game in a 12 x 12 matrix. I'm trying to find the best way to do a real analysis with the data set this way. The first goof around I did was finding the average number of penalties called against teams' opponents.

BU 7.25

CU 7.29

ISU 5.25

KU 7.14

KSU 6.38

MU 5.57

NU 4.14

OK 8.57

OSU 7.00

UT 7.14

TAM 7.57

TT 7.63

Again, these are not these teams' average penalties per game, but the average number of penalties called against their opponents. No analysis yet...

Edited for more precise numbers.

If you were to sort this list by least to most, you'll notice that NORTH teams are all on top (least amount of help from the Refs). I'm not sure what this means, if anything, but it is interesting.

For fun, I coded the teams North and South to see if there was a correlation-- I didn't find one. BUT What about in North V South games? Hmm... :nanalama

Because I'm the worst procrastinator in the world (meaning that I don't find very "fun" things to do while I'm putting other work off), I just finished keying in each team's # of penalties in each game in a 12 x 12 matrix. I'm trying to find the best way to do a real analysis with the data set this way. The first goof around I did was finding the average number of penalties called against teams' opponents.

BU 7.25

CU 7.29

ISU 5.25

KU 7.14

KSU 6.38

MU 5.57

NU 4.14

OK 8.57

OSU 7.00

UT 7.14

TAM 7.57

TT 7.63

Again, these are not these teams' average penalties per game, but the average number of penalties called against their opponents. No analysis yet...

Edited for more precise numbers.

Hey I looked the same stats. I went back 5 years and found some very interesting results, take a look!!

Nebraska penalty stats.doc

Its amazing that this board has this in depth look at numbers, statistics and analysis. I can't even imagine ANYTHING like this going on on any other boards I peruse.

Samples of what other boards would look like in a similar situation.

Texas: F@ck the ref aggies. My proof is f@ck the ref aggies. Who needs numbers bigger than a 6-pack.

KSU: The refs ar moorons, dey donn kno nuttin. My pruf is Brooke is dead. Wut ar dese nuumber tings?

CU: Dude, the refs stink. Really. I hit them with a urine bomb. Heh, heh, I said hit, so yeah I'll take another hit. What were we talking about?

Its amazing that this board has this in depth look at numbers, statistics and analysis. I can't even imagine ANYTHING like this going on on any other boards I peruse.

Samples of what other boards would look like in a similar situation.

Texas: F@ck the ref aggies. My proof is f@ck the ref aggies. Who needs numbers bigger than a 6-pack.

KSU: The refs ar moorons, dey donn kno nuttin. My pruf is Brooke is dead. Wut ar dese nuumber tings?

CU: Dude, the refs stink. Really. I hit them with a urine bomb. Heh, heh, I said hit, so yeah I'll take another hit. What were we talking about?

Don't forget the typical MU Tigerboard response:

MU: "I hate them thar @##$$% Nubs. They kin all &&&^^%$$ my cusin. Twice (I does!). Wait, we talkin' 'bout them refs or Nubs?"