Fair.. but scathing

robsker

I think NU has lost what made NU... NU.

Um, you do realize, no one other than Nebraska fans ever gave a darn about how "classy" Nebraska fans thought they were, right?

Remember in the 90's when we'd all get upset because the National Media didn't give us our due. How ESPN and SI and all the other pundits hated us.

Remember when the program fell, they were all too happy to forget about us. Unlike Michigan or Notre Dame, they were happy to ignore us. We were out of their hair.

At what point did our "class" help us?

I've seen 30 for 30 espn specials on "THE U" and on a Oklahoma who had a coach who was not nearly as classy as Tom, and a player who behaved much like this writer talks about Martinez.

Haven't seen one yet about the "class of Nebraska fans." Actually never hear about it outside of Nebraska.

Point being. I'm tired of this "class" or "best fans" garbage. They want to hate on us, bring it.

Caount me in the I hope Pelini spike's the big 12 trophy crowd.

Actually, I have lived in 11 states over my time as a Husker fan.. and knowledgeable college football fans in every state have been really complimentary of the Nebraska way of football. The regard for Osborne and the the way he went about winning and doing so with decorum and class has been appreciated by many non-NU fans. The media, in general all across the nation, holds (or held) the NU way generally very positively until recently. Opponents writers have written countless articles on how well they, their fans, players and coaches were treated by NU and it's fans. Of course, there too has been negative articles all along as well --- everybody gets those. But few, very few, get the positive accolades from their opponents like NU has for decades.

So... what I am saying is that the NU program has been regarded as classy by many non-NU fans. Now what has it gotten us, you ask? Seems to be an illicit premise. One is not classy for self-serving gain --- one is classy simply because being classy is simply the right thing to do.

The article by this gal from Oklahoma illustrates clearly that she has had (as have many)a deep respect for the NU program. And, she is lamenting --- as a non-NU fan --- that her ability to respect the program has been diminished.

It is in this that she is being fair, honest... and at the same time scathing. Scathing in the sense not that she is being mean --- she is actually being kind. It is scathing in that the truth is painful.. for her assessment of how the character of the program is being projected now is very accurate. What was once a program worthy of respect is becoming less so. Again, hopefully it is a blip that in time will go away, reverting back to where it should be ...

and not the beginning of a downward trend. only time will tell.

• Fire 1

Actually, I have lived in 11 states over my time as a Husker fan.. and knowledgeable college football fans in every state have been really complimentary of the Nebraska way of football. The regard for Osborne and the the way he went about winning and doing so with decorum and class has been appreciated by many non-NU fans. The media, in general all across the nation, holds (or held) the NU way generally very positively until recently. Opponents writers have written countless articles on how well they, their fans, players and coaches were treated by NU and it's fans. Of course, there too has been negative articles all along as well --- everybody gets those. But few, very few, get the positive accolades from their opponents like NU has for decades.

So... what I am saying is that the NU program has been regarded as classy by many non-NU fans. Now what has it gotten us, you ask? Seems to be an illicit premise. One is not classy for self-serving gain --- one is classy simply because being classy is simply the right thing to do.

The article by this gal from Oklahoma illustrates clearly that she has had (as have many)a deep respect for the NU program. And, she is lamenting --- as a non-NU fan --- that her ability to respect the program has been diminished.

It is in this that she is being fair, honest... and at the same time scathing. Scathing in the sense not that she is being mean --- she is actually being kind. It is scathing in that the truth is painful.. for her assessment of how the character of the program is being projected now is very accurate. What was once a program worthy of respect is becoming less so. Again, hopefully it is a blip that in time will go away, reverting back to where it should be ...

Agree.

I remember one time when I encountered a person from PA and they were telling me how embarrassed they were with the Penn State fans when NU played them in PA one time. Evidentally, NU got a very bad welcome. However, this person was impressed with how "classy" the NU fans handled the not so welcome welcome

Um, you do realize, no one other than Nebraska fans ever gave a darn about how "classy" Nebraska fans thought they were, right?

Remember in the 90's when we'd all get upset because the National Media didn't give us our due. How ESPN and SI and all the other pundits hated us.

Remember when the program fell, they were all too happy to forget about us. Unlike Michigan or Notre Dame, they were happy to ignore us. We were out of their hair.

At what point did our "class" help us?

I've seen 30 for 30 espn specials on "THE U" and on a Oklahoma who had a coach who was not nearly as classy as Tom, and a player who behaved much like this writer talks about Martinez.

Haven't seen one yet about the "class of Nebraska fans." Actually never hear about it outside of Nebraska.

Point being. I'm tired of this "class" or "best fans" garbage. They want to hate on us, bring it.

Caount me in the I hope Pelini spike's the big 12 trophy crowd.

I guess we have our beliefs based on our own experiences.

I too have lived in numerous states. And no, I haven't heard the "ah, you nebraska fans are classy" nearly as often as I've heard "ah, you nebraska fans like to call yourself classy"...

I actually moved to Nebraska as a teenager. I grew up in California and my first game was Tommy's first game when he came in to replace Mike Grant during the game. I remember it because a guy sitting behind me said, loudly, "man, Osborne sure likes black qb's doesn't he?"..

The crowd all laughed. That, to a teenage kid from California, was close to the most openly racist thing I'd ever heard said and needless to say, made me roll my eyes from there on out every time I heard about the classiest fans on earth..

Hey, I'm a husker fan. I love the team. But our fan base isn't "better" than everyone else. We're loyal and passionate.

And I'm not going to refrain from screaming we've been wronged, when we have been in the name of not losing some silly reputation I don't think is real anyways..

We have some of the most loyal, passionate, rabid, traveling group of fans of any sports team in the world. I'll take that and you can hang your hat on classy.

We lost something along the way......hmmm, i actually think we picked up something....attitude. That is exactly what this team needed after the dark years. Should we be embarassed? No. Was the U embarassed with the stunts their players pulled? No. This is just the media trying to throw us in a hole agian. They act as if we or anyone else cares about being the "classy" program. I dont, no one bothers to be "classy" to me from other programs why should they garner any type of respect from me. As far as I'm concerned the rest of the B12, their fans, Dan Beebe and his clan and the media can eat $h!t and die.

P.S. to the rest of the Big12 enjoy looking for a conference in the next 3 years. I will be fat, drunk and happy watching you scramble to join the MAC, C-USA and WAC.

• Fire 1

We lost something along the way......hmmm, i actually think we picked up something....attitude. That is exactly what this team needed after the dark years. Should we be embarassed? No. Was the U embarassed with the stunts their players pulled? No. This is just the media trying to throw us in a hole agian. They act as if we or anyone else cares about being the "classy" program. I dont, no one bothers to be "classy" to me from other programs why should they garner any type of respect from me. As far as I'm concerned the rest of the B12, their fans, Dan Beebe and his clan and the media can eat $h!t and die.

P.S. to the rest of the Big12 enjoy looking for a conference in the next 3 years. I will be fat, drunk and happy watching you scramble to join the MAC, C-USA and WAC.

Well Said..

Decades of "classy" behavior and we can't get anyone to listen the first time we stop being classy and yell we're being cheated.

We gained not one ounce of national respect from our classy behavior. Now everyone is just upset because we are not grinning and bearing it like we're suppossed to..

That's what classy is. Get F'd.. Don't complain, smile and ask if it was good for them too.

All it is that everybody wants to get one last shot at Nebraska before we move on.... including the media. I wonder what they will write about next week, prob how terrible OU or NU looked in the title game, regardless of the score.

I cant wait till saturday night is over win or lose, im tired of reading this junk.

If we are winning do we really care what other fans think of us and our fans? Really are we going to waste time and energy on this?

Being in the NE I'm use to the Yankme fans up here and how annoying they are...do I care about the classy ones? No, as far as I'm concerned they are all morons. Now does that make me really care when they complain about anything? NO...again. So as far as anyone questioning if Nebraska fans are being "classy" in their warped view should we really care? NO for a third time.

I would love to ask these people..."Ok you think Nebraska fans have loss some class...can you show me a group of fans in sports that are always classy?"