Time to own up : Expectations

zoogs

I originally posted this in response to Ebyl in another thread, then realized what a complete hijack it was. Apologies to Hercules.

Because the time has come for many people that were sitting on the fence.

This is a very specific thing I've noticed in the before and after of this game. What people expected - what people got - and what they said afterwards. I have been critical of a lot of things on offense in this game, but fair is fair, and I'm going to pull up a thread from last week that asked: what will it take, out of the CCG, for the fence-sitters to swing one way or the other? No names attached.

It would depend on how the game turns out. If we have a ton of dropped passes like the UT game or Green just makes ridiculous decisions, I won't be too upset with Watson....

If Green can go out there and get us 21-28 points, and we lose by a field goal, that's one thing. Watson's issue is he goes from brilliant to completely inept in these situations. We're talking zero touchdowns. Losing games that would have been won if we had scored a single touchdown. The beef with Watson isn't that he never calls a good game. It's that when he struggles, we lay an egg.

I completely agree. However, I can tell you right now we don't need to worry about the grumblers giving Wats credit, this is going to be a LOW scoring game.

I wouldn't say it's his last chance unless there is a severe meltdown. However, this isn't a vintage OU defense. I'm not expecting more than 20 points from us given our injury problems, but we should be able to move the ball with some regularity.

Yes I dont expect us to score more than 20. But I wanna see us move the ball downfield chew some clock, stay ahead of the chains, maybe throw some play action to keep them honest. If we somehow get up by a couple of scores, I hope he goes for the knock out punch.

We have awesome RBs, pretty decent receivers, and our line doesn't exactly suck. Even without a great QB, it shouldn't be hard to get a few TDs.

Hey, I'm in the anti-Watson camp too, I'm just saying I don't expect us to score 48 again this week. If we get held to single digits again however...

Yes and fail to score a offensive TD. Ou's defense is not that great, good but not great. Hell Cincy scored 29 on them and A&M scored 33.

I will be happy to score 17 and have a chance to win in the 4th.

Green is a serviceable QB. I have no illusions that he could single-handedly take over the game and beat OU himself, but with two excellent RBs, a playmaker at tight end, and a couple of good possession receivers, there are no excuses to put up 9 points in FGs.

I've been a fence sitter for awhile with Watson, but if we can't put one TD on the board I'll be in with the crowd calling for his head. ... But you have to be able to at least put one drive together for a TD in 60 minutes with how many opportunities our defense gives you.

I guess I'd just call this 'rolling criteria.'

Things aren't matching up. People are saying, at least be able to put up a TD on the board, not expecting to score a lot, "If we score 21-28 and lose by a field goal, that's one thing" (20 is close, isn't it?), "If we score 17 and have a chance to win in the 4th, I'll be happy"...

So you're not happy. And I don't really blame you. There's plenty to be unhappy about. But it looks like the offense surpassed expectations for most. Unless the real expectations were "We have to put up 3 touchdowns and then some field goals and 350 yards on the Sooners with what we have on offense." This was a team loss, and people are looking at this as yet another game where the offense cost us. I strongly disagree with that sentiment.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to call anyone out specifically here, that's not my goal. Everyone knows what they expected before the game. We came out, posted 300 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 2 field goals. I'm saying very broadly if this is how you felt before the game, and that was the general vibe we had on this board last week, it completely boggles me that the vibe now is people coming out saying "I was on the fence, but that does it! Watson has to go."

Hence, the rolling criteria.

hrm...know what i see?

i see an offense that still did not put together a drive for a td. thats the general, and almost word for word, gist i get from those comments.

roy ripped off a big play for one then proceeded to fumble and disappear. the defense bequeathed another one like the last OU game.

other than that...we still cannot move the ball with any sort of regularity. it just doesnt happen. we literally do not scare anyone with our offense. and that is sad. the only thing that was scary about our offense this year was a healthy redshirt freshman. and year what now of the watson era? this is the best we can do? this is our identity? this is his identity? maybe its bo's fault, but to me its clear as pie-shawn watson and bo pelini together are not jiving. you pick which one should go.

I'm looking at his body of work under Pelini which is pretty much total inconsistency.

He is incapable of making and sticking to proper play calling adjustments when the original offensive scheme fails or is adapted to by the opposing defense. He fields offenses that sometimes come out looking stellar and other times come out and lay bigger eggs than Godzilla.

This was his final chance, in a game that mattered a great deal to many people, to show he could produce an offense that got it done when it mattered. And yeah, he has done that on occasion this season, but that goes back to consistency...he's done it on occasion. And that just isn't good enough here.

I have a feeling a lot of us are tired of saying, "Yeah, but he'll get it figured out. He'll adapt." Enough of that bullsh#t. It isn't happening and it's become obvious. Call it the "straw" that broke the camel's back.

Yeah, the offense did some good things. But once again, the defense kept us in the game by a reasonable amount (holding OU to 23 points...and that's a good OU offense) and Watson's offense, no matter the reason, failed to get it done. And a good chunk of that was some idiotic play calls which are solely his responsibility.

Goodbye Watson and good luck wherever you are next season, because it won't be NU.

Edit - And the list goes on and on, but that's enough. The list of his negatives far, far outweighs the positives at this point.

This is what I thought people realized before the game: that NOTHING is scary about an offense where we are not running on full cylinders, with Taylor literally not at full speed and Paul out, and Green, the supposed starter, being a very shaky prospect. I *thought* people were predicting we were likely to really struggle in this game given these circumstances, where OU can pretty much load up on our only 2 threats, the RBs.

The defense hardly bequeathed the other TD, Burkhead made a tough 5-yard throw. I get that we had 10 yards to go and it was a really short field, but this offense punched it in and didn't settle for the FG that time, which is significant, especially if you look at the concern about TDs vs FGs in the comments.

I don't know when in the world a big play like Roy's is not a credit to the whole offense. We must have not done anything against Washington or Kansas State, or other games early in the year where pretty much all we had were big plays.

8 plays - 62 yards - INT (100% Taylor)

10 plays - 56 yards - FG

8 plays - 43 yards - PUNT

3 plays - 22 yards - Fumble (100% Caputo)

I think some of the other drives actually have more yardage up to the point Taylor sat back for 5 seconds and took a 10-yard sack. So we had some promising times in the game where we moved the ball, only to come up empty due to some bonehead error by Taylor or in that one case, Caputo.

Yeah, the offense did some good things. But once again, the defense kept us in the game by a reasonable amount (holding OU to 23 points...and that's a good OU offense) and Watson's offense, no matter the reason, failed to get it done. And a good chunk of that was some idiotic play calls which are solely his responsibility.

I could say the same thing about VT '09, where the defense did some good things, but the offense kept us in the game reasonably (had us leading at the end of the 4th with them pinned real deep), and Pelini's defense failed to get it done. It's the truth, but it just means that was a team loss, not either side of the ball. Same case here.

I wonder about the playcalls because I hated some of them, but it seems like Bo wanted more attacking and less conservatism this game. His comment that we thought we had the range and so took the shots with Burkhead to Taylor thinking the FG would be reasonably safe from the 39, resonates with me here.

I don't deny that a lot of things went wrong with this game, I just don't agree with the fence sitter-swung-over premise. A bigger chunk of not getting it done was certainly Taylor tonight, and at least half that responsibility lies with Bo. Was ANYONE going to get consistency out of Taylor tonight, or this entire year for that matter? Just call him "Mr. Explosive But Inconsistent." People don't like that the offense has been inconsistent this year, but again, if you ask for Taylor, just what is expected?

The offense under Shawn Watson has been inconsistent. In fact, during Watson's entire career his offenses have been inconsistent.

We have a championship caliber defense and an inept offense. We had one good quarter from the offense and 3 quarters of embarrassing ineptitude (just like the Missouri game). That is on the coaches.

Watson's offense struggled with lowly South Dakota St for crying out loud. The offense should have ripped off 50+ points easily and stomped SDST through the prairie.

what i want to know is what are everyones reasonable explanations for still being up and posting on this board???

I refuse to wade through the ridiculous load times (and errors) that happen around here during the day after a big win/loss. I've got nothing to do tomorrow (intentional on my part), so I might as well get my posting in before this place hits the crapper again when the sun comes up.

what i want to know is what are everyones reasonable explanations for still being up and posting on this board???

I refuse to wade through the ridiculous load times (and errors) that happen around here during the day after a big win/loss. I've got nothing to do tomorrow (intentional on my part), so I might as well get my posting in before this place hits the crapper again when the sun comes up.

good call. it is a bit much.

anywho...just saw a thread on landthieves that made me smile.

"Huskers are bagging on Martinez..."

inside: "...who the f#*k do they think got them to this game?"

guy might have a point.

I think that the expectations of many fans with regard to the Husker offense and/or Watson and the offensive coaching staff are so high as to be unable to be met - I feel the same is true of the defense as well. The offense is either too multiple or not multiple enough, it either passes too little or to much or on the wrong down or with the wrong quarterback; Watson goes away from the running game too soon or stays with it too long, etc, etc, etc. While I don't think Watson is the most brilliant OC to ever grace college football I think that expecting our offense to be some kind of powerhouse given the injuries, shifting play styles and the quarterback carousel that the last 3 years have been is ridiculous. I most definitely would have like to see touchdowns and W's in the games that have been posted as evidence of ineptitude but I don't think Watson leaving solves the fumbles, bumbles, penalties, miscues, drops, bad reads and blocking issues that the offense has experienced. On the defensive front, a few big plays against a player or the defense as a whole and it's like the Titantic is sinking all over again.

Simply put my expectations were too high. After last years torching of Arizona, I expected a potent offense, a stout defense, a North title, Big XII championship and possibly a trip to the National Championship - we had a lot of talent returning and started the season ranked high enough to really make a go of it. Upon finding out Lee had been dropped to 3rd string and the starter was a freshman, I was worried and ready to temper my expectations of the Big XII title and National Championship chances (I though the North was still easily in hand). But Martinez looked good, Helu and Burkhead looked good, David looked good - in fact the whole team looked pretty darn good and so I didn't temper anything. All was actually going pretty well, just a few missteps on offense, even after the Texas game until the injury bug really started hitting. Now, before the injuries there were some issues with execution, loss of focus, etc, but they were relatively easily overcome with big plays and better talent. Once some of the playmakers started going down and opponent talent levels moving up, the issues that were once a bit of a pain in the side became a full blown cancer - killing drives, taking points off the board and putting the defense in often insurmountable positions. But, ugly as it often was, the Huskers still won and my expectations, batter and bruised a bit, remained high, although after the loss to Texas, National Championship became just a dream. The loss to A&M was tough, but even then only the National Championship was foregone. In fact, until the second half of the game tonight, I still expected to win the Big XII championship - and I held out hope until the end of the 4th.

While I fully believe, and will until the day I die, that Husker fans are the best fans in all of college football - the fans, myself included, have become a fickle, spoiled, whiny, entitled bunch. The Osborne years, especially the 90's, were great, but they've somehow managed to convince us fans that we DESERVE championships, high rankings and no loss seasons just because we're the Huskers. How we measure success has become skewed such that anything less that complete domination of the North, Conference and FBS as a whole is failure. A 10-3 or 11-3 or 10-4 season, in the wake of some close, ugly and heartbreaking losses is obviously a bit tougher to swallow than an 13-0 season as conference champs, but it's kind of like playing the lottery and complaining about only winning $200K instead of the jackpot. Every week we're calling for coaches heads, throwing players under buses, calling out refs and conference officials, badmouthing sports writers... from the inside looking out and the outside looking in it's gotten pretty ugly folks.

Should there be accountability for the performance of the team? No question. And there is, thankfully by cooler, more level heads than those of the fans.

• Fire 1

I think that the expectations of many fans with regard to the Husker offense and/or Watson and the offensive coaching staff are so high as to be unable to be met - I feel the same is true of the defense as well. The offense is either too multiple or not multiple enough, it either passes too little or to much or on the wrong down or with the wrong quarterback; Watson goes away from the running game too soon or stays with it too long, etc, etc, etc. While I don't think Watson is the most brilliant OC to ever grace college football I think that expecting our offense to be some kind of powerhouse given the injuries, shifting play styles and the quarterback carousel that the last 3 years have been is ridiculous. I most definitely would have like to see touchdowns and W's in the games that have been posted as evidence of ineptitude but I don't think Watson leaving solves the fumbles, bumbles, penalties, miscues, drops, bad reads and blocking issues that the offense has experienced. On the defensive front, a few big plays against a player or the defense as a whole and it's like the Titantic is sinking all over again.

Simply put my expectations were too high. After last years torching of Arizona, I expected a potent offense, a stout defense, a North title, Big XII championship and possibly a trip to the National Championship - we had a lot of talent returning and started the season ranked high enough to really make a go of it. Upon finding out Lee had been dropped to 3rd string and the starter was a freshman, I was worried and ready to temper my expectations of the Big XII title and National Championship chances (I though the North was still easily in hand). But Martinez looked good, Helu and Burkhead looked good, David looked good - in fact the whole team looked pretty darn good and so I didn't temper anything. All was actually going pretty well, just a few missteps on offense, even after the Texas game until the injury bug really started hitting. Now, before the injuries there were some issues with execution, loss of focus, etc, but they were relatively easily overcome with big plays and better talent. Once some of the playmakers started going down and opponent talent levels moving up, the issues that were once a bit of a pain in the side became a full blown cancer - killing drives, taking points off the board and putting the defense in often insurmountable positions. But, ugly as it often was, the Huskers still won and my expectations, batter and bruised a bit, remained high, although after the loss to Texas, National Championship became just a dream. The loss to A&M was tough, but even then only the National Championship was foregone. In fact, until the second half of the game tonight, I still expected to win the Big XII championship - and I held out hope until the end of the 4th.

While I fully believe, and will until the day I die, that Husker fans are the best fans in all of college football - the fans, myself included, have become a fickle, spoiled, whiny, entitled bunch. The Osborne years, especially the 90's, were great, but they've somehow managed to convince us fans that we DESERVE championships, high rankings and no loss seasons just because we're the Huskers. How we measure success has become skewed such that anything less that complete domination of the North, Conference and FBS as a whole is failure. A 10-3 or 11-3 or 10-4 season, in the wake of some close, ugly and heartbreaking losses is obviously a bit tougher to swallow than an 13-0 season as conference champs, but it's kind of like playing the lottery and complaining about only winning $200K instead of the jackpot. Every week we're calling for coaches heads, throwing players under buses, calling out refs and conference officials, badmouthing sports writers... from the inside looking out and the outside looking in it's gotten pretty ugly folks.

Should there be accountability for the performance of the team? No question. And there is, thankfully by cooler, more level heads than those of the fans.

get off your high horse or get off the board. one or the other.

this is an internet message board. i dont see many professing themselves to be coaches or whatnot..

what i do see is fans...and as extension of your local watering hole the internet is the new playground for those to shell out their opinions. some are obviously longer than others...

So you're not happy. And I don't really blame you. There's plenty to be unhappy about. But it looks like the offense surpassed expectations for most. Unless the real expectations were "We have to put up 3 touchdowns and then some field goals and 350 yards on the Sooners with what we have on offense." This was a team loss, and people are looking at this as yet another game where the offense cost us. I strongly disagree with that sentiment.

The thing is, most Husker fans had huge question marks going into this game. Is T-Mart healthy? Can we replace Niles Paul? Will Watson call plays that work? Are the refs going to job us one last time in the Big 12? THEN, after the first quarter, it looked like the sky was the limit. We could blow these Friggin Mobilehomia Hillbillies out of the water. That's when everybody's expectations went through the roof. Unfortunately though, the wheels fell off the wagon and we snatched defeat from the jaws of glory. Just like Lucy snatches that football from Charlie Brown every year. That is why I'm disappointed. But that's just football for you. Half the teams lose every week.