Restoring an old truck

I am paying to start the restoration on a 71' chevy for as a Christmas present for my husband. We drove this truck up to about 6 years ago, when I parked it in the yard because the brakes failed. My husband always said that he was going to fix it up as it has sentimental value. It was his grandfather's truck and he died this week so I thought what a great gift. My question is, how many different people should I contact to restore this truck? A mechanic first for sure, then a suspension person, and then bodywork? Does this sound right? Obviously it needs brake work, but can you guys give some ideas about what else will need to be replaced after sitting so long? I found a mechanic and I am going to have it towed in on Monday.

What a great gift! You might be able just use a mechanic and a bodyshop. Bodyshops often do alignment too. It might be a good idea to get a written estimate including payment milestones and schedule penalties. This is the type of project that could get started quickly, and then sit behind a mechanic shop for months without any progress being made. Good luck!

krc, are you in Nebraska? If you are I can help you a bunch. Is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? If it's 2 wheel drive there isn't a whole lot you need to worry about, having the brakes all done will cover a lot of it. When they have it apart for brakes I would have them check and repack all the wheel bearings. The seals on the transmission and rear end may have dried up and need replaced, maybe the u joints got rusty. Obviously after 6 years it's going to need the tires replaced, the tire shop can do the alignment for you. If the motor ran good when it got parked it should just need a good tune up, it should have been cranked over a few times a year to prevent the valves from sticking but I have seen some sit longer that were still ok.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to, you can let me know what people are telling you should be done and for what cost. I can very easily tell you if they are correct or if they are way over priced. I have restored a couple old trucks and one of them was a 1971 Chevy shortbox stepside 4x4. My son and I just started on a 1962 chevy shortbox 2wd. Hope this helps and please let me know if I can futher assist.

post-4948-016871300 1292769306.jpg

Wow- Thanks a bunch. The truck is in Louisiana and currently has a tree growing around it. By motor knowledge is limited, but my husband's buddy(and my partner in crime on this deal) says it's the big engine. It's also a long box. What about the springs? If memory serves, it was a little like riding in boat-up and down, up and down.