When do we start to hold Dr. Tom accountable?

Dr. Tom as AD  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the hell....

We're going to hold TO accountable for...?

Winning 3 National Titles? AS A COACH, WHICH I MENTIONED I WOULD NEVER QUESTION HIM AT

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner? YOU FORGOT TO MENTION, HE LEFT THE CUPBOARD EMPTY BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO RECRUIT OUT OF THE NEIGHBORING STATES

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years? NO BRAINER

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years? I LOVE THE RESULTS TO THIS POINT, BUT WEREN'T WE ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH TO GET A PROVEN HC

I don't understand where this thread is going. It's purely speculation that TO has ANYTHING to do with Watson STILL being here. He only suggested it for the transition to a new HC.

You also completely ignored the fact that after retiring because he saw the writing on the wall and the power shift going south, he got into a position of power and made a historical decision for the university to shift away from the south....

He retired after being our Head Couch fof 25 years. Its a stressful position and it takes its toll on a man. If I remember right two of TO's three NC's came at the expense of Florida schools, and two of TO's three NC's came at the expense of SEC schools. We beat Miami on their home field and absolutely dominated them in the fourth quarter. Spurrior's Florida team with the 'offence of the future' couldn't ever make it a game for one half. Two years later Scott Frost, who passed like a shot putter, led the Big RED to another one sided victory over Tennessee and Payton Manning. If there was any writing on the wall it was that Nebraska's future was bright. The big difference when he left as opposed to when Davaney left was that Davaney didn't leave he moved up to AD and Frank Solich was stuck with Peddy, who is still impressing people with his prowess as an AD at Pitt.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

Excellent post. Indeed what a BIG, big difference that was.

First off I voted Solid AD, and thats my opinion. Even though people worship TO he is just a man and is capable of mistakes like you or me. I personally think that he has done an outstanding job as AD and is trying to shift the focus back from a Corperation mentality to the Student/Athlete mentality with the added emphasis of Student first. The only reason I'm responding to a thread like this is basicly because the season is over and I like to discuss stuff, lol.

1 - Didn't Dr. Tom request Watson to remain a part of the staff when he brought on Pelini?

What was the one common theme amongst TO's coaching staff...Continuity. He even stated hiself that the O wasn't the problem...the D was and that a whole sale change in coaching staff was not what the University needed at the time. Now granted its year 3 going on 4 for BO and TO as AD and its time to evaluate the staff and find the problem with the decline in offensive production aka Scheme, Philosophy, Athletes potential, etc. If there is one thing TO knows how to do more than most coaches its know how to run a successful coaching staff. Now Im not saying BO is a puppet on strings but this is still his first Head Coaching job at a Major College. Give him time to develope his coaching staff and the program how he wants it run. I'll take 10 wins a season over the alternative. Remember when TO would take us bowling every year and how long it took him to develop the program to compete nationally. Alot of people are up in arms and demand the "What have you done for me lately!" mentality but just sit back and take a look at overall perception of what you as a fan can do. Allow the team to perform and cheer them on. Don't be over critical if you see these kids out there busting there buns to perform for you.

2 - The more I look at the Big 10/Big 12 debacle the more I question his vision! He was very clear in the mid 90's that the power in football was shifting south, rightfully so!!! What is 4 or 5 going on 5 or 6 straight national titles from the SEC??? So then, why would he want to move to the rust belt? Before you say money and prestige, let me remind you, that when we were rolling right, no one cared how bad the Big 8 was, and we made plenty of money by winning! It is quite clear that winning the Legends division will be much more difficult than the North. I digress....

His vision has remained the same since he took over. Just put yourself in his shoes, walk into a job where your output is the worst it have ever been, public outcry is at an all time high, a review of all althletics is in order. Not even 3 years later after getting the internal fires quenched along comes an even bigger storm of several monopolies all saying they are going to expand even further and that your going to be left out of the fold. Then the group that you are associated with says oh well and we will wait to see what everyone else does, and several of them have already started plans in the event the group falls apart. What would you do?! Protect the interests of the University as a whole and make the best move avaiable and thats what I believe TO did at the time. We will see where the Big 10+2 will take us later down the road I have a feeling 10 years from now we will be in a good position of stability.

3 - Two words....Frank. Solich.

You reference Solich but give no explination of what you wanted to discuss. I'm sure we could all go on and on about TO's decision to stick with Solich but the fact of the matter is that its in the past and Solich gave his all for the University only to be treated like $}{!+.

That's right. Frank got sh*t on by the worst AD in the history of cfb. That's right, the worst AD in the history of cfb.

Sadly, many still back firing Frank/Bo "despite" a bowl winning 10 - 3 season AND the horrendous results the Clownahan era gave us. NU might have the best fans in cfb but the sharpest? A dull butter knife would be more appropriate.

What the hell....

We're going to hold TO accountable for...?

Winning 3 National Titles? AS A COACH, WHICH I MENTIONED I WOULD NEVER QUESTION HIM AT

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner? YOU FORGOT TO MENTION, HE LEFT THE CUPBOARD EMPTY BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO RECRUIT OUT OF THE NEIGHBORING STATES

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years? NO BRAINER

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years? I LOVE THE RESULTS TO THIS POINT, BUT WEREN'T WE ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH TO GET A PROVEN HC

I don't understand where this thread is going. It's purely speculation that TO has ANYTHING to do with Watson STILL being here. He only suggested it for the transition to a new HC.

You also completely ignored the fact that after retiring because he saw the writing on the wall and the power shift going south, he got into a position of power and made a historical decision for the university to shift away from the south....

He retired after being our Head Couch fof 25 years. Its a stressful position and it takes its toll on a man. If I remember right two of TO's three NC's came at the expense of Florida schools, and two of TO's three NC's came at the expense of SEC schools. We beat Miami on their home field and absolutely dominated them in the fourth quarter. Spurrior's Florida team with the 'offence of the future' couldn't ever make it a game for one half. Two years later Scott Frost, who passed like a shot putter, led the Big RED to another one sided victory over Tennessee and Payton Manning. If there was any writing on the wall it was that Nebraska's future was bright. The big difference when he left as opposed to when Davaney left was that Davaney didn't leave he moved up to AD and Frank Solich was stuck with Peddy, who is still impressing people with his prowess as an AD at Pitt.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

Excellent post. Indeed what a BIG, big difference that was.

Just wanted to note that Byrne was the AD during most of Solich's tenure

That's right. Frank got sh*t on by the worst AD in the history of cfb. That's right, the worst AD in the history of cfb.

Sadly, many still back firing Frank/Bo "despite" a bowl winning 10 - 3 season AND the horrendous results the Clownahan era gave us. NU might have the best fans in cfb but the sharpest? A dull butter knife would be more appropriate.

Meh. Let's also remember that Frank was letting the program slide, big-time. Recruiting was in the dumps and overall the program was not healthy. Frank had other issues off the field going on that weren't in the press, but they were affecting his ability to effectively coach the team. The Frank Solich Era was full of issues.

The timing of the termination of Frank and his staff was brutal. Nobody needs a refresher on how poorly that was handled by Pederson, but the fact that Pederson bungled that situation doesn't mean that Frank was a good coach. It means that Pederson is an idiot.