Hello Husker Fans! Welcome to the Big Ten!

I don't hate you guys. I just like getting you yankees all fired up.

Carry on then.

Just remember, black shirts can't stop silver bullets ;)

Are you likening your team to a poorly flavored cheap beer?

As much as you are to being an emo team.

am I too old to understand this, or just too dumb? completely went over my head regardless...

Silver Bullet = Ohio State defense (or in his case, Coors Light)

Black Shirts = Nebraska Defense (or in my retaliation, those almost suicidal kids that wear nothing but black)

It's important to note that you're having this discussion with a Clemson fan. Killer is not a Husker Fan (not like the rest of us, anyway). He joined HuskerBoard when Nebraska and Clemson played in the Gator Bowl a few years back, and he's been a fixture ever since. He's "part of the family" now, but his loyalties lie somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line - hence the "Yankees" comment.

Carry on then.

am I too old to understand this, or just too dumb? completely went over my head regardless...

Black Shirts = Nebraska Defense (or in my retaliation, those almost suicidal kids that wear nothing but black)

It's important to note that you're having this discussion with a Clemson fan. Killer is not a Husker Fan (not like the rest of us, anyway). He joined HuskerBoard when Nebraska and Clemson played in the Gator Bowl a few years back, and he's been a fixture ever since. He's "part of the family" now, but his loyalties lie somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line - hence the "Yankees" comment.

:woo

Carry on then.

Ahh - get it now thanks for splainin.

In regards to your earlier post about all times wins vs. the SEC...Mandel posted this today.

The SEC has had as many schools (four) win national championships in the past five years (Florida, LSU, Alabama and Auburn) as the Big Ten has in the 74-year history of the AP poll (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota and Ohio State).

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/01/11/wednesday.bag/index.html#ixzz1ArEAfJ9K

Something's horribly innacurate with that.

First, the AP poll has been going on longer than 74 years.

Second:

Minnesota won it first in 1936, Ohio State in 1942, Michigan in 1948, Michigan State in 1952, Penn State in 1982.

Third, If we didn't value are kids and oversign like the SEC, we'd have just as many championships as well. ;)

Carry on then.

My mistake, I assumed with the avatar.

In regards to your earlier post about all times wins vs. the SEC...Mandel posted this today.

The SEC has had as many schools (four) win national championships in the past five years (Florida, LSU, Alabama and Auburn) as the Big Ten has in the 74-year history of the AP poll (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota and Ohio State).

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/01/11/wednesday.bag/index.html#ixzz1ArEAfJ9K

Second:

Minnesota won it first in 1936, Ohio State in 1942, Michigan in 1948, Michigan State in 1952, Penn State in 1982.

Third, If we didn't value are kids and oversign like the SEC, we'd have just as many championships as well. ;)

It was first run in 1934 (76 seasons ago), but switched to it's present day format in 1936 (74 seasons ago) before switching back to top 20, top 10, and finally going back to the 36' method, etc. Sure it's been run 2 years longer - but did a 5th Big10 team win in 34' or 35' to change the statement?

I don't see what's so "horribly" innacurate w/ the statement? I didn't write it, but if you read it who cares when they won their first - the point he was making is the SEC is deeper as a conference. 4 different teams have won the MNC in the last 5 years. In the last decade there hasn't even been 4 Big10 teams that "sniffed" the NC let alone won it. Penn State wasn't a member of the Big10 in 82' so it wasn't a Big10 NC...Nebraska has a few in that time frame as well...but they aren't Big10 NCs.

Ahh - back to the oversigning. What next, the weather? I didn't think the Big10 was the type of conference that would try to make excuses for their inferiority to SEC football.

Holy hell.. I've seen some dirty plays but wow that's gruesome!

I'll be looking forward the most to the showdown between Ohio State and Nebraska.

I can't wait to see how the Cornhuskers match up with the flagship program of the conference.

My second favorite match up is NU and Wisky, they are about as physical as it gets with OSU and Iowa right behind them.

How do you guys think you'll fare against the top 3 in the Big Ten?

I noticed you have quite the warm welcome when BigTen play starts with your first 3 games being against all three co-champion last year.

That'll be brutal if you ask me. Any guesses on your record after those first three? I highly doubt 3-0 but that would be a hell of a way to introduce yourselves to the BigTen!

1-2 if Shawn Watson is still here, which is looking more and more to be the case.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll say 1-2 even if Watson's been replaced by then. The D usually doesn't really kick into shutdown mode until the 2nd half of the season, so they're bound to give up some points. And methinks it will be too many points for our offense to overcome.

Which of those first three do you guys see team winning against? MSU?

You could probably flip a coin. We could win all of them or lose all of them. It's not like Nebraska, Ohio State, Sparty or Wiscy are so vastly different in talent. Turnovers, coaching decisions, injuries, penalties, Special Teams, etc. Those are the intangibles you can't predict, especially from ten months away.

This is true, I was just moreso curious about which one you guys think you have the best probability of winning against seeing as how the last couple posters agree on at least one win.

I say we don't lose a home game next year. ;)

So that would mark you down as putting the hurt on the Buckeyes and either wisky or MSU, not sure which one of those two you have at home.

Idk about the Buckeye game but at the same time i could very well see that happening since you'll already have everyone jelling together and we will have that "controversy"

Second:

It was first run in 1934 (76 seasons ago), but switched to it's present day format in 1936 (74 seasons ago) before switching back to top 20, top 10, and finally going back to the 36' method, etc. Sure it's been run 2 years longer - but did a 5th Big10 team win in 34' or 35' to change the statement?

I don't see what's so "horribly" innacurate w/ the statement? I didn't write it, but if you read it who cares when they won their first - the point he was making is the SEC is deeper as a conference. 4 different teams have won the MNC in the last 5 years. In the last decade there hasn't even been 4 Big10 teams that "sniffed" the NC let alone won it. Penn State wasn't a member of the Big10 in 82' so it wasn't a Big10 NC...Nebraska has a few in that time frame as well...but they aren't Big10 NCs.

Ahh - back to the oversigning. What next, the weather? I didn't think the Big10 was the type of conference that would try to make excuses for their inferiority to SEC football.

Actually I still don't see the superiority of the SEC. This is truly the first year that the Big10 hasn't matched or outperformed in head to head against the conference in bowl games.

Yes they have won the national championship 4 years in a row, but that speaks to one team. When the other teams lose compared to a different conference, how does that prove the conference as a whole is stronger?

In 2006, the SEC went 1-4 against the Big10

In 2007, the SEC went 2-1 against the Big10

In 2008, the SEC went 1-1 against the Big10

In 2009, the SEC went 1-1 against the Big10

In 2010, the SEC went 3-1 against the Big10

That doesn't really scream superiority to me. To me, it seems over the past few years since they started winning the championship, they've been on par as a whole towards the Big 10.

And you can't deny that oversigning doesn't help keep them more competitive.

Oversigning is a huge advantage, and seems completely unethical to me. They're making themselves into football mills, not institutions of education, with this practice. It's a tragedy because it screws a lot of kids who could have gone on to careers at other schools.

The biggest perpetrator of the superiority of the SEC is ESPN, who (shockingly! :o ) has a $2 billion contract with the SEC. It's very much in the best interest of ESPN to continue to pimp the SEC. It's a shame that they purport to be a sports journalism source, yet they are very clearly a biased source of information.

• Fire 1