Mandel clears up USC's recruiting...

Stewart, I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. My understanding was that USC had restrictions on the number of recruits it could take (20, pending its NCAA appeal). However a cursory look at the number of kids planning to commit to USC this coming year shows 23. Am I misunderstanding USC's penalties or have they figured out a way around the recruiting restrictions?

-- Michael, Cleveland

The latter -- though it's perfectly legal and will only work this year. Scholarships are based on the academic calendar, not the football calendar. Because USC only signed 18 players last year, 14 of whom enrolled last fall, it can count its nine early enrollees in the current class toward the 2010-11 school year. Should the original ruling stand, the 15-player limit goes into effect in 2011-12 and will include all players that enroll this fall (which may include some recruited walk-ons). It still can't go over the NCAA-imposed 75-scholarship limit for its overall roster.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/01/11/wednesday.bag/index.html#ixzz1ArI3kkIU