Apparently Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle is paying homeless people for their vote

For all of you that are in the Omaha area, Mayor Jim Suttle is facing a recall on Tuesday January 25. Reportedly, Mayor Shuttle's, errrrrr, Suttle's backing group named "Forward Omaha" went to the Sienna Francis House (an Omaha homeless shelter) and paid homeless people to vote.

Apparenly this Forward Omaha went to the shelter, paid homeless people $5 for "voter training," handed out a sample ballet which detailed how to vote AGAINST recalling the mayor, and provided shuttles for the homeless to the Douglas County Election Commission. The homeless only had to list the Sienna House or the Douglas County Election Commission as their "home" to be considered a resident of Omaha. Reportedly, Forward Omaha made mention of "promises of jobs" to the homeless if they "voted the right way." The Douglas County Election Commissioner said that this was perfectly legal.

I find it highly offensive that a very unpopular elected official's support group would exploit homeless people to try to stay in power.

Hopefully, people of Council Bluffs, Papillion, Bellevue, etc. go to the Election Commission, use the Commission as their address, and register to vote FOR the recall of Jim Suttle.

the whole suttle thing is ridiculous-including the recall attempt. waste of time and money for everyone involved.

Many feel as you do, but Suttle has been an absolute disaster for the city. I'm not sure if we can support another year or two of his arrogance and incompentence.

Glad I live in Sarpy County....

Well, if you work in Omaha, be prepared to pay the $50 Suttle Occupation Tax.

Or maybe you should just list your home as the "Douglas County Election Commission" and your vote can be counted.

Hopefully, people of Council Bluffs, Papillion, Bellevue, etc. go to the Election Commission, use the Commission as their address, and register to vote FOR the recall of Jim Suttle.

What you are advocating in that sentence is just as bad as what Suttles people have done, voter fraud is fraud no matter how you paint it...

I agree. I said that pretty much tongue-in-cheeck.

The ironic thing is that Suttle and his flunkees took the "recall" group to court for potential voter fraud, yet what they are doing is very "unsavory" to say the least, and possibly fraudulent.

What you are advocating in that sentence is just as bad as what Suttles people have done, voter fraud is fraud no matter how you paint it...

I agree. I said that pretty much tongue-in-cheeck.

The ironic thing is that Suttle and his flunkees took the "recall" group to court for potential voter fraud, yet what they are doing is very "unsavory" to say the least, and possibly fraudulent.

I figured that... I've been in a snarky mood over anything political these last few days, mainly due to the national scene, and my sarcasm meter must be out of whack.... Even though I live in Lincoln I haven't been following the recall to closely (I guess being off the coast of Finland for the last 7 weeks didn't help), or the lead up... I know Omaha is in trouble, and the recall seemed in trouble for a time.... I find it disheartening to see this kind of "manipulation" on a local level, after the last eight years on the national scene I figure the integrity of our elections has dropped dramatically, or maybe its just more in the open now (although I guess it has always been there, Joe Kennedy more than likely got the JFK elected via voter fraud in Chicago), but I always thought people around here were better than that, looks like I was very wrong...

How is this even possible? First, how would the Forward Omaha workers be able to both confirm the identity of the homesless population at the shelter and then confirm whether they were registered or even eligible to vote? Second, without any identifciation, how would they identify themselves at the voting venue? Are the voting rules that loose in Omaha?

How is this even possible? First, how would the Forward Omaha workers be able to both confirm the identity of the homesless population at the shelter and then confirm whether they were registered or even eligible to vote? Second, without any identifciation, how would they identify themselves at the voting venue? Are the voting rules that loose in Omaha?

You dont need ID to vote, I think it violates federal law to be asked for ID when you go into vote.

When you are registering to vote, if you dont have anyway to prove who you are someone can come with you and attest to your identity to the election commison, and as the OP said they make your address the commission office, or, in this case, the homeless shelter.

suttle brought about the 2am bar closing. like im gonna recall him. used to have to fight my way home with all the retards heading over the bridge to council bluffs for one more drink.

I believe that the State of Nebraska, and then the Omaha City Council put this in place, not Suttle.

I like it, anyway you slice it, however, I think that I have only stay out until 2 once since it was implemented.