Please Believe

I don't think it matters who wrote the Bible. The real question is whether or not there is enough evidence to support the events that are portrayed in the Bible.

So why do you believe what is written in the Bible, but discard the accounts from other holy books? What makes the Bible so unique?

Because that is my right. Why don't you believe in the bible?

I need evidence. Show me the evidence and I will believe.

So easy to say isn't it.

In other words, you don't have any.

Where is your proof? Now give me my +1

It's logically impossible to prove a negative. You are the one making the claim, not HuskersNow. The burden of proof is entirely on you to support your claim if you want people to accept what you're peddling.

At this point I'm having a hard time even taking this seriously. I can't even begin to guess what your motivation with this thread is anymore. You're all over the place. If you want honest answers ask honest questions, not with the sarcasm meter blowing out.

I don't think it matters who wrote the Bible. The real question is whether or not there is enough evidence to support the events that are portrayed in the Bible.

So why do you believe what is written in the Bible, but discard the accounts from other holy books? What makes the Bible so unique?

So easy to say isn't it.

Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, today I will try to convince HuskersNow that God is in fact real. God will you please reveal yourself to HuskersNow. God...God...Um...

This is not a court room and I cannot prove beyond a reason of a doubt that God exists. Its called faith. If you can show me evidence on the contrary I will admit I am wrong and you are right. It works both ways.

It is literally impossible to prove a negative. It does not work both ways, The burden of proof lies with you. How about this, you don't even have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he exists, just that he is more likely to exist than not.

Its not my job to prove anything to you. I don't know you and I don't care what you believe in quite frankly. Im not gonna waste my time trying to prove this to you bc you won't take me seriously anyways. Let's just say things in MY life made me come to the conclusion that I believe God exists. And until you can prove to me that he DOES NOT exist, I will keep my beliefs and you may keep yours. How bout that? Now give me another +1

• Fire 1

So easy to say isn't it.

It's logically impossible to prove a negative. You are the one making the claim, not HuskersNow. The burden of proof is entirely on you to support your claim if you want people to accept what you're peddling.

At this point I'm having a hard time even taking this seriously. I can't even begin to guess what your motivation with this thread is anymore. You're all over the place. If you want honest answers ask honest questions, not with the sarcasm meter blowing out.

Then leave the thread. Nobody forced you to read the article I posted. Nobody forced you to post in this thread and nobody forced you to even come into the religion subforum. You will not hurt my feelings if you choose to not believe anything I have said. And you will not hurt my feelings for leaving the thread. And being on Huskerboard, I would assume you would be used to threads going in all different directions because someone says one thing and then the entire thread starts going in a different direction. Just look at the Braylon Heard/ACT thread.

It is literally impossible to prove a negative. It does not work both ways, The burden of proof lies with you. How about this, you don't even have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he exists, just that he is more likely to exist than not.

Its not my job to prove anything to you. I don't know you and I don't care what you believe in quite frankly. Im not gonna waste my time trying to prove this to you bc you won't take me seriously anyways. Let's just say things in MY life made me come to the conclusion that I believe God exists. And until you can prove to me that he DOES NOT exist, I will keep my beliefs and you may keep yours. How bout that? Now give me another +1

You sound very angry. Why do you say that I'm not taking you seriously? You know I read a book once where two physicists were debating whether God exists or not and the theist in the debate brought forth very good arguments. I disagreed with him, but I took his position seriously. If anyone is interested it was a debate between Quentin Smith and William Craig.

How do you not understand that it is impossible to prove a negative? Just try to and you will find that it just can't happen. Why would I have prove to you that God does not exist? Can you prove to me that any other God doesn't exist? If not, then why don't you believe in them?

FWIW I never gave you a +1. That was someone else.

So easy to say isn't it.

Then leave the thread. Nobody forced you to read the article I posted. Nobody forced you to post in this thread and nobody forced you to even come into the religion subforum. You will not hurt my feelings if you choose to not believe anything I have said. And you will not hurt my feelings for leaving the thread. And being on Huskerboard, I would assume you would be used to threads going in all different directions because someone says one thing and then the entire thread starts going in a different direction. Just look at the Braylon Heard/ACT thread.

Let's clear this up.

You posted an article on an open forum. I read it. I responded. We discussed it. You more or less said the back and forth could go on forever and ended that line of discussion. Fair enough.

Now, after all that, you're on some kind of forced march where you seem to want to talk about interesting subjects, but then when you get responses you reply that you are being sarcastic, are basing everything on faith anyway, don't feel like discussing why you really believe in a god, and don't have to prove it anyway. You're trying to play both sides of the field, friend. And you ask me to leave?

If you want to talk about something, fine. The forum can go in whatever direction you want. But can we cut the BS, please? You're not representing your cause very well at the moment.

You sound very angry. Why do you say that I'm not taking you seriously? You know I read a book once where two physicists were debating whether God exists or not and the theist in the debate brought forth very good arguments. I disagreed with him, but I took his position seriously. If anyone is interested it was a debate between Quentin Smith and William Craig.

How do you not understand that it is impossible to prove a negative? Just try to and you will find that it just can't happen. Why would I have prove to you that God does not exist? Can you prove to me that any other God doesn't exist? If not, then why don't you believe in them?

Well pretty much anything cannot be proven 100%. Any skeptic can give you some crazy argument that something does not certainly exist. You believe what you believe and that is final. One day all of everybody's questions will be answered. Until that day we can stop arguing because certainly nobody is going to win this argument and certainly no one is going to convert anybody to a different religion.

Well, that is probably what those people do for a living. I am not a physicist and I hate physics to begin with, so I cannot make any good arguments using physics. The only arguments I am able to make have to do with what has happened in my own life and that is all I need. Apparently, you need more. I don't need any science majors trying to prove God exists using E=MC2 or F=M*A. I already have my faith. If you are ever to receive this same faith, you need to find in the way you deem fit. I cannot bring faith to you. And if you don't find it, then you don't find it. But now I know not to post my religious beliefs in the religion forum bc I will just have to show evidence every time.

And I know you didn't give me a +1. I have a clue as to who it was. I just thought it was funny how you got a +1 for saying so in other words you dont have any evidence.

Well pretty much anything cannot be proven 100%. Any skeptic can give you some crazy argument that something does not certainly exist. You believe what you believe and that is final. One day all of everybody's questions will be answered. Until that day we can stop arguing because certainly nobody is going to win this argument and certainly no one is going to convert anybody to a different religion.

I think the problem here is that some people have vastly different criteria for their beliefs. Some people will believe on faith alone, while others require incontrovertible evidence to believe.

So easy to say isn't it.

Let's clear this up.

You posted an article on an open forum. I read it. I responded. We discussed it. You more or less said the back and forth could go on forever and ended that line of discussion. Fair enough.

Now, after all that, you're on some kind of forced march where you seem to want to talk about interesting subjects, but then when you get responses you reply that you are being sarcastic, are basing everything on faith anyway, don't feel like discussing why you really believe in a god, and don't have to prove it anyway. You're trying to play both sides of the field, friend. And you ask me to leave?

If you want to talk about something, fine. The forum can go in whatever direction you want. But can we cut the BS, please? You're not representing your cause very well at the moment.

I posted one thing that I was being sarcastic. More like trying to get laughs, but on a internet message board nobody knows how I am saying what I am saying. That is why text messaging really gets me in trouble when I have a gf lol. I already told you why I believe in God in past posts. I can't prove God exists, I've already said that. Everyone finds religion in a different way. Some people by factual evidence. Others by life experiences. I've already said at one point in my life I did not care about religion or God for that matter. Things happened in my life and now I care about my faith. And what I should have said was, then you may leave. Im not telling you to leave, but if you do not like where the discussion is going then you have that choice.

Well, that is probably what those people do for a living. I am not a physicist and I hate physics to begin with, so I cannot make any good arguments using physics. The only arguments I am able to make have to do with what has happened in my own life and that is all I need. Apparently, you need more. I don't need any science majors trying to prove God exists using E=MC2 or F=M*A. I already have my faith. If you are ever to receive this same faith, you need to find in the way you deem fit. I cannot bring faith to you. And if you don't find it, then you don't find it. But now I know not to post my religious beliefs in the religion forum bc I will just have to show evidence every time.

The problem is that someone could make claims similar to yours except that the name of the God was changed, but then you wouldn't believe them. Someone could say that they have had personal experiences with their God but you wouldn't believe it because it is a different God then yours. Someone could say that they believe in Allah on faith, but you still wouldn't believe them. Why? What makes your faith and personal experiences more relevant than theirs?

It is the same thing every time, only the name is changed.

I think the problem here is that some people have vastly different criteria for their beliefs. Some people will believe on faith alone, while others require incontrovertible evidence to believe.

I agree, I am one of those people that believe on faith. I'm not saying that your way is stupid. I'm just saying that people will believe what they want to believe and one day the truth of everything will come. But there is no use in trying to argue about this when everyone could be doing something else and enjoying life. I'm sure there is a bunch of things better than sitting at your computer arguing for no reason because no one is going to switch sides. I'm just trying to stop this crap because it has gotten a little ridiculous at this point.

The problem is that someone could make claims similar to yours except that the name of the God was changed, but then you wouldn't believe them. Someone could say that they have had personal experiences with their God but you wouldn't believe it because it is a different God then yours. Someone could say that they believe in Allah on faith, but you still wouldn't believe them. Why? What makes your faith and personal experiences more relevant than theirs?

It is the same thing every time, only the name is changed.

This is what I grew up knowing. If someone believes in Allah, or Zeus or Poseidon or whomever they may believe in, that is fine and dandy. I do not think my religion is better than the rest. And I do not think I am better than anyone. Someone once told said when asked what the best religion was, "the religion that brings you closest to God." Catholicism is the religion that brings me closest to God, so that is what I choose to follow.

This is what I grew up knowing. If someone believes in Allah, or Zeus or Poseidon or whomever they may believe in, that is fine and dandy. I do not think my religion is better than the rest. And I do not think I am better than anyone. Someone once told said when asked what the best religion was, "the religion that brings you closest to God." Catholicism is the religion that brings me closest to God, so that is what I choose to follow.

I have zero problem with this. As a recent convert I have TONS of Christian friends. I have the utmost respect for them as people, and if they're happy in their faith then I'm happy for them. If you or they believe in God, and it makes you happy and you don't hurt others with it, more power to you. Live your life, love your God, and peace be with you.

I didn't say God doesn't know him, I said he does not know God.

sorry misread. But that's even easier to answer. If I knew him then of course I'd let him stay....why wouldn't I? He's not a stranger. I'd know whether or not he was a good person and someone I could trust to be in my home. But I wouldn't turn him away just because he didn't love me.

I just want to ask you guys this question. What do you think of the writers of the Bible? Just a bunch of pot smoking hippies that got together 2,000+ years ago and said let's just write a bunch of crap in a book and say it is the word of an all-powerful being when it is really our word to trick people 2,000 years from now.

Not people trying to trick others...but people who needed faith back then in order to have answers to the world. Saying "I don't know" can be a scary thing until you come to the realization that you don't have to know everything in order to live this life to it's fullest. And you certainly don't need to substitute a god to give you all the answers.

As to who the writers of the bible are, particularly of the new testament...theories vary. Just because you say "Gospel according to Mark" at the end of scripture readings in church, doesn't mean it was Mark who actually wrote it. There was no authorship noted in the gospels. It was common place to attribute writings to important figures to denote a sense of authority. Some think that these writings were purely passed down by word of mouth since many were illiterate during this time. I'd imagine a lot of the story would have gotten lost in the 30+ years after Jesus' death...not to mention the tons of translations and (church sponsored) revisions over the years. Still, even if Jesus did exist there's no proof that his claims of a messiah or miracles are true. At least not backed up by any other separate sources.

Now your just stealing lines from that atheist tv show you posted a few weeks/months ago. Ya, I watched it. Its so easy to be on the side that says prove it to me when they know dang well there is ABSOLUTELY no way to 100% prove it. Oh well, since you can't prove it and I can't see it, it isn't there. Its like me trying to stick up for Shawn Watson saying well he will be better next year. Well there is no way to prove he will be better. Its a lot easier for me to say he sucks because of what happened this year and Ive seen it with my own eyes than to stand up for him.

I've heard it before then, but I still think it's a valid rebuttal to the "parent" argument.

I don't think any non-believer would refuse to listen to any tangible evidence brought forth for a god. Saying faith is proof and therefore is the truth, is what we have problems with. With Shawn Watson, you can say you believe in his ability to improve next year. And all we have to do is just wait and see if your belief manifests itself into reality. Then we'll concede that you were right. The problem with the god claim is that so far, no one has been able to bring forth any tangible evidence for most non-believers. Even god's (Jesus') actions in the past are questionable as to if they really did happen. We, however, do have tangible evidence for Shawn Watson's mistakes.

However, back to the original topic and what started this whole thread:

I've already said at one point in my life I did not care about religion or God for that matter. Things happened in my life and now I care about my faith.

So then my question is what changed in your life to make you care more about your faith? What caused you to decide to not only believe...but to believe in the Christian god? And to accept hell as a real place? And why should I believe until this same experience/evidence has been given to me?

I can see a person accepting a higher creator based on faith alone. But automatically accepting/choosing a certain dogma based around that god is something else altogether.

ps. don't think we're attacking you. I personally don't get to have religious discussions with the theists I know. Many feel I'm attacking who they are as a person and I can honestly say I'm not. I have questions just like they do. I find these discussions to be a lot like politics. And you should be able to have an open discussion without anyone getting their feelings hurt.

:)