!@#$% in School

Irregular News for 9.29.05

Boca Raton, FL -- Students say they hear a lot of profanity on television, and a high school easing its penalties for swearing now says television is where they should look for model language. Boca Raton Community High School students used to be suspended from school for cursing. But school administrators found that last year, some of their best students were getting suspended, sullying otherwise clean records.

This year, Principal Geoff McKee said students caught swearing would get a less severe penalty.

"If a bad word is not used to threaten, but rather to emphasize a point ... the student would receive an in-school suspension on the first offense," McKee said. "Societal standards have changed dramatically regarding acceptable language. If our policies do not change with societal standards, we set up our students for failure."

Students have been told to model their choice of words on television newscasts. The newscasters improvise without using profanity, McKee said.

"It's the only place where they work to have language that's acceptable to all," McKee said.

Students at the school said they hear profanity used as method of self-expression in movies, on television and from their friends.

"As long as you're not saying it in a hostile way, you're just giving your opinion," freshman Mallory Bauer said. "People say 'Oh, damn, I forgot my homework.' These words aren't that bad to me."

Full Story